Primal/Paleo in May 2011

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Am I the first one up this morning? Sorry I haven't been here in a few days; work has been particularly unreasonable.

Very happy when I stepped on the scale this morning and saw another loss; I had a couple days where it held steady. Tomorrow I will have been following this new WOE for two weeks and this makes 8.6 lbs. lost in that time.

I was proud of my food choices on Easter. I was asked to bring my usual loaf of homemade bread, which I did, and did not eat a single slice. Big-time victory. I also stayed away from the potatoes, corn, chips and home-made enchiladas. Instead, I filled up on the best roast beef I had ever had, ham, green beans and two helpings of salad.

My "Rockin' Body" exercise videos have arrived and I've done the first introductory one. Only 20 minutes but I had a good time and could follow what everyone was doing so I'll be exercising on a regular basis from now on.

Scored a new find at Walmart the other day: a frozen turkey breast that goes straight from the freezer to the oven! It's on the menu tonight along with sweet potatoes and "something green."

My 85-year-old mother-in-law is joining us for dinner tomorrow night. I'm planning on serving veal patties (which she adores) sauteed zucchini with onions, roasted asparagus, and roasted dinky gourmet gold potatoes (for her and DH.) I can pass them by with no problem but as far as she's concerned it's not a "real dinner" if it doesn't include potatoes. Sliced strawberries for dessert with a smidgeon of whipped cream.

Guess that's all from me today. Hope everyone else is having a good weekend and enjoy themselves!
  • Ladynredd, thanks for starting the May thread...Way to go on the food victories at Easter, they are not easy, I did not fare as well

April was not good for me, it was stressful... I've made my mind up that I am going to do much better in May ... This morning I went running, 5k, and I'm happy about it... I now have to run alone most of the time it's getting easier and easier...

Bring on the May flowers and
  • Thanks Ladynredd! All those meals sound delicious enough to get me hungry... Congrats especially on passing up on your own home-made bread. I wouldn't have been able to.

I really need to buckle down. My weight essentially dropped a bit, and came back again. The more I made certain allowance, the more often I took them, the more they became "cheats". Then, one food would just derail me. It has a lot to with my mindset right now - it's finals, I have some projects to finish, my house is upside down... I had quite the ridiculous and kind of gross binge the other day .

May is sucha great month. End of school, beginning of my low-paid but relatively low-stress job (It's nice to just leave work at work, you know?)

I went biking today - WOW. It was SO beautiful outside!
  • May is a great month. Summer's almost here! It's lovely outside right now- perfect beach weather.
  • Weather's warming up here too. The senior community where I live has a pool and a super jacuzzi that my back LOVES but it's being resurfaced right now. I hope they get it done before the really hot weather hits so I can

We have a big ceramic pot on our front porch that a pair of doves has been nesting in. Yesterday I saw a baby dove stick its head over the rim of the pot for the first time this season. Yay!

Not much else going on except work ... I'm accepting all the work I can ... in my business it's drought or flood and right now is flood time. There will be an inevitable drought this summer (summer break for classes) so I know I'll need the $$ I'm making in a few months.

Let's all keep on keepin' on!
  • Weather here has been drearily cold and very very wet!! April showers are supposed to be done, c'mon May flowers!!

I'm doing good food and exercise wise.... I've increased my cardio, intensified my weight training, decreased my food intake... Eventhough I am doing Paleo/extremely low carb, I still find that if I eat too many calories I gain weight but I am less hungry and crave less with this WOE, which is really nice... It really sucks sometimes to always watch what you eat, you'd think that after 40 years of being careful, I'd be used to it, NOT ... Anyways, so far so good with this week, but the weekend is coming along, and that's where I always screw up!! DH is on call, it should be easier because we don't go out...
  • Making Progress!
    I've been doing well food-wise. I'm still working at reducing the diet soda and replacing it with various flavors of green tea; seems to really help with that whoosh! factor.

I was taken out to lunch on Mother's Day and I chose to go to my favorite Mexican restaurant. I had meatball and vegetable soup as an appetizer, then a gigantic beef burrito (which wasn't nearly so gigantic when I opened up the tortilla and just ate the filling.) Resolutely stayed away from the tortilla chips; did not have a single one! I did, however, eat the refried beans and Spanish rice and, sure enough, next day my weight popped up a couple pounds. It's been slowly coming back down since then but I think next year I'll just choose Sizzler ...

Maybe I can consider it practice for our vacation in Cancun which begins in less than two weeks. It's at one of those all-inclusive resorts where everything is already paid for and a big part of the focus is on food. I know my husband is really looking forward to all the restaurants. In the past I have used being on vacation or travelling as an excuse to go off whatever diet I was trying to follow and eating whatever struck my fancy. This time I really want to stick to this WOE as closely as I can.

I've ordered "Everyday Paleo" and some silicon baking cups from amazon.com (the baking cups are so I can make little portable meat & vegie quiches.) Looking forward to getting a book everyone seems to have reviewed highly; maybe I'll take it with me to Mexico for reinforcement!

I haven't been doing so well with the consistent exercise; it's always the part of a healthy way of life that I struggle with the most. Must try harder in that department.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • Way to go on the progress Ladynredd...

Gee feels like ages since I posted here, but things are good ... I even lost weight this weekend... The family took me out also for M Day and I ate the hungry man's plate which consisted of 3 eggs, 3 sausages, 3 ham slices, 3 bacon slices It did have toasts and potato wedges in there but I did not eat a one... Everyone thought I would be as over stuffed as the ones who ordered waffles and french toast, but I wasn't one bit, plus all that protein lasted me till late in the afternoon ... the bonus was that I lost weight last weekend : ...

... OK, everyone else report in !!
  • Hey ladies! I was here last year around these parts and then I got pregnant. Morning sickness hit hard and carbs were my friend. I'm back now (DD is 3 months now) and am doing a modified primal diet. DD has had some digestive issues, so I had to do a TED (Total Elimination Diet). I've started adding some additional meats back in (yay for beef!), rather than just having chicken or salmon. But, I'm dairy free, egg free, nut free and still pork free. I accidentally ingested some corn (always need to read the label) in some sauce and DD had her rash and digestive issues return. I'm waiting for everything to even out to normal again and then I'm adding in some pork.
  • Welcome back Jennylou! One of my kids had a lot of allergies and we had to do the elimination diet thing, too. Not fun, but a good mama's gotta do what she's gotta do!

Spent my weekend coping with a 48-hour bug, not fun, but feeling much better now. Have been slowly adding "normal" foods back but still watching fat intake and spices carefully, do NOT want to start off my Cancun trip feeling under the weather.

Guess that's it for me since I haven't really been doing anything. My Paleo book is supposed to arrive today from amazon.com and I'm looking forward to it.
  • It sure does make it easy to stick to! Cheating won't just mean no weight loss, it'll mean issues for her.

Hope you begin to feel better. When are you going to Cancun?
  • Sorry, I haven't posted in eons. Family stuff has evolved into my own personal health stuff. Diagnosed with breast cancer last month and having bilateral mastectomies next week.

Despite all the stress, my eating has stayed on track. In fact, eating healthy has been something for me to cling to in all the craziness and stress - bingeing used to be my way of coping, after 19 months maybe I finally am getting the hang of eating as a way of life.

As far as my "primal-ish" approach, I still do some dairy with real cream in my morning coffee and occasional Greek yogurt + fruit. Otherwise I'm sticking to no added sugar, no starch, no grains, and trying to get in more green veggies.

Any way, will try to be on more as my recovery allows.
  • Jennilou -- Congrats on the new baby sucks to have alergies though

Awwww Sskar so sorry to hear about your health... there are 4 women that I know personally that have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the last year .... BUT on the up side they are ALL doing very well, so hang in there....

Ladynredd

Paleo wise I have been doing very well... I did get a bout of seasonal allergy symptoms this week, wowser this put me on my back for a day till the pill took effect... I havn't had symptoms in years since taking allergy shots... I may have to go see an allergist again .... my point was to say that on the day I stayed home from work I craved carbs and ate carbs, Cheerios! Weird... But I'm ok now ...
  • Morning folks! I'm thinking (obsessing is more like it) about my upcoming postoperative period when I will have a day or 2 of mostly liquid intake. The list my surgeon gave me included such lovely items as non-diet soda, clear fruit drinks, applesauce, and broth. I'm thinking I need protein and am concerned how my body will react to sugar.

Any suggestions? I suppose I can just ignore him (I'm a doc, we don't know anything about nutrition!) and go with with broth and drink protein smoothies. But was hoping you might have some different ideas. Thanks in advance.
  • I'd go with the clear fruit drinks, applesauce, and broth. but not the protein smoothies because -- and this is just my UNprofessional opinion -- smoothies usually have milk in them and maybe they don't want any dairy products during the postoperative period as milk is difficult to digest... It's only for 2 days anyways, then you can resume with your regular WOE...