Sugar Intake

• I read on here somewhere that people have been able to get their sugar count down to 15 g or less per day.

I'd like to know how. If I eat an apple and a glass of skim milk, I'm over 15 g already!

So, how do you do it? Do you just eat veggies and meat only? Cut out dairy? Limit fruit?

I would love to kick the sugar habit, but I just don't see how it's possible. Suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Hmm. It seems that to cut to that level, you would have to stick to a very low to almost zero carb plan. If you're looking to cut the sugar habit, try South Beach. The emphasis is on low glycemic index foods, which are naturally lower in sugar. It's also helpful to note that not all sugar is the same- the sugar in milk affects your body differently than the sugar in fruit and very differently than the sugar in cookies. Also, your body's ability to handle sugar also correlates to what you eat the sugar with. Milk, for example, has sugar and protein, which the body usually handles better than sugar on its own.
  • I'm not one of those "15g or fewer" people, but I do try to keep my sugar down. Here are my guidelines:

- Sugar in fruits and veggies is fine. That being said . . .
    - I limit fruit to 2 servings a day, sometimes 3 if I ran, or if I have one lonely tangelo that's about to go bad. I do limit bananas to 2-4 a week, because they're so high in sugar.
    - "Whites" - sugar, flour, pasta - I have eliminated or eat very rarely. If there is a whole grain option I take it, or go without.
  • Are you talking about carbohydrates as a whole? That is definitely low for carbs. I avoid added sugars but I eat plenty of natural carbs.
  • I don't think a stable and "normal" diet means to eat only 15gr of carbs a day.
    Carbs are a great energy source and in moderation are very good for you. Your brain burns ONLY glucose when you are in a healthy state and if you eat no carbs it has to break down protein into glucose, which is bad news for your muscle's needs.
    Imo just keep it to two portions of bread/rice/spaggetti etc a day, 3 portions of fruit and 3 portions of veggies. Avoid all crystal sugar sweets or limmit them into a tiny "garbage" portion a week. "Garbage" portion is a tiny calorie room I make each week (about 300 calories) for something that doesn't benefit me at all.
    I do this and I lose weight exactly how I should, which is 50gr a day, and gain muscle naturally.
  • I have heard that the RDA for sugar is 15g or less. I guess I was just wondering how that is possible - because I need my carbs and I need my dairy! I limit both, but it still seems my sugar intake is too high. I don't know, I guess I will keep trying to limit it as best I can.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
  • Oh, and my carbs are ALL whole grain or nothing, and my dairy is either light yogurt, FF Greek yogurt, and skim milk. I am hoping that is okay.
  • Quote: I read on here somewhere that people have been able to get their sugar count down to 15 g or less per day.

I'd like to know how. If I eat an apple and a glass of skim milk, I'm over 15 g already!

So, how do you do it? Do you just eat veggies and meat only? Cut out dairy? Limit fruit?

I would love to kick the sugar habit, but I just don't see how it's possible. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Hi!! I'm on the Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise, and I eat under 15 grams of sugar a day.

I do it by drinking almond milk (unsweetened) limiting fruits to berries and not eating too many simple carbs (breads, pastas, etc have a lot of sugar). Complex carbs have a lot less.

I'm not on a low-carb diet, but a reduced or carb-concious lifestyle.

Check out the book, it has a lot of great info. Also, in the 'other reduced carb diet' forum, there are several threads devoted to BFC. Check them out!!
  • Not sure where you heard 15 grams, everything I see on google says max RDA for ADDED sugar is 40grams, this doesn't include natural sugars in food. That seems like a lot of added sugar to me.