Kickstart needed.

• I'm getting into that paranoid, "nothing I do is working" stage again. I haven't been super strict with my calories lately, so I started working out an extra 30 minutes at night, AND I'm going to be super strict with them from now on. I think my body is used to what I'm doing, so, yeah. Plus, I've really been knocking back the water. But every day, the scale only goes up. I've been doing a lot of weight lifting for my arms, but I wouldn't see muscle forming only a week in, right? My arms are pretty sore, too, so I guess I could be retaining water.

This is only one of the minor annoyances of everyday weighing. I normally don't mind it because I know my body's pattern by now, but this is newish. I've been holding around this weight since about April 9th.

I'm just so because I did so well last night, and it seems like getting back to 161 is soo much harder than it was the first time. I went up today to 168.6 when yesterday I was 166 exactly. I'm not due to start my period, either, so...water retention from sore muscles, you think?
  • It's hard to speculate with the details you provided. How many days have you been back to strict calorie counting? How many calories are you consuming?

It sometimes feels harder just because it's re-losing what you've just recently lost so emotionally it's harder too because you want to reverse damage ASAP.
  • I'm supposed to be consuming 1,104 to lose 1.5lb a week, but yesterday I ate into the 2000s (mostly because i went out to dinner and had to over-caltulate just to be safe) and because I did a 60 minute work out. And TODAY I'm starting super strict cc. I thought I was being pretty good about it, but apparently not good enough.
  • Working out an extra hour will burn a couple hundred calories, maybe, - so you can't really exercise your way out of a high calorie day. And we all know how quickly a couple high calorie days can add up.

If you haven't been staying very close to your calorie limit then you can expect to not see the scale go down no matter how much you exercise. This is especially true as you get closer to goal.
  • if you ate out then its likely it was high sodium so water retention there definitely, also if your muscles are sore then they are repairing damage, for some reason this takes a ton of water to do and also causes retention.

i do concur with the folks above that it is harder to lose as you get closer to goal tho, so the scale is going to be alot more finicky as you go down. keep up the good work and it has to cooperate eventually!
  • I'm a little confused. I've only lost 20.8lb, I'm about 25.2lb from 140, and another 15 from 125. I still figured since 165.2 was in the obese category I wouldn't have a ton of trouble losing for at least another 20lb. But I guess weight loss isn't like clockwork.
  • Don't throw in the towel just yet! Stay with the strict calorie counting like you say you are doing. 60 minute workouts don't offset 2000 calorie intakes if you consistently fudge your calorie intake.

You got down to 161 so you know it's possible for your body to get back there. No matter what weight you are at, it's still a matter of being consistently on plan. Yes, at higher weights you can be a little lax compared to at lower weights but the principle is still the same.

Good luck!
  • I agree stick with restricting your calories and the wooosh will happen for you! Scienticfically it has too since you are burning more calories that you are consuming Hold on!