Finding it hard to stay hydrated

• Im struggling with dehydration and feelin ILL.

Sickly, headaches , extreme tiredness to name a few.

Im trying to up my water and drinking 2litres a day and the feelings get better but i find im up through the night passing urine and when i wake up in the morning im dehydrated again feeling terrible.

Felt like this all weekend was better yest and was looking forward to today and had to cancel a few things i had planned as i just cant seem to pull myself together.
    Had half a litre an hour before bed thought that would help but it didnt. Ive been like this for over a week and really need to shake out of it. R there any other hydrating liquids other than water? or any tips that can help
  • try adding some lemon to your water--it makes the "water taste" more bearable for people who don't like it so much. alternatively, try adding emergen-c to your water--it's choc full of electrolytes, which keep you hydrated. another option would be 0 calorie sports drinks (like powerade or vitamin water), as they too have electrolyes. also, coconut water--though watch out, because it tends to have a lot of sugar.
  • I wouldn't focus too much on electrolytes. You know what else electrolytes are called? Sodium. It also includes some potassium, but I wouldn't consider sports drinks the best source for that.

Lucky, you sure you're not getting sick? Maybe that's more the problem than plain dehydration. I know I've been feeling parched with the cold I have right now.
  • electrolytes consist of sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate,phosphate, and sulfate.

"No discussion of dehydration would be complete without an explanation of electrolytes and their respective functions. Most people, when asked, aren’t sure what electrolytes are or why they’re so important in preventing
    dehydration. Electrolytes are certain minerals (i.e., calcium, chloride, magnesium, potassium, sodium ions) essential to
    human health. As an essential mineral, an electrolyte cannot be substituted by any other nutrient in the diet. That means that your body will only accept that particular mineral or electrolyte. Without electrolytes, you could not move, think, or live. Within the body, electrolytes are dissolved in body
    fluids. In terms of hydration, electrolytes are responsible for directing water (and nutrients) to the areas of the body where its needed most and maintaining optimal fluid balance inside the cells. Besides maintaining fluid
    balance, electrolytes help your muscles to contract and relax and assist in the transmission of nerve impulses from your nervous system to different body parts."

for info on why electrolytes are important, check out http://eletewater.co.uk/pdf/electrol...ehydration.pdf
  • You can try ading some of the electrolye drinks such as pedialyte into your water - dilute it down at least half and half. sometimes that helps a bit and won't hurt or cause huge water retention issues
  • Electrolytes are certainly essential, that I won't contest. But the article you posted is essentially scientific sounding ad-copy. It points out that you shouldn't rely on sports drinks, instead suggesting its own product.

I'm not sure I've been on the forum long enough to post links but here's a different one I found.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/02/...the-real-deal/
  • ive just got myself some lucuzade body fuel orange drink hope it helps
  • Hi lucky! I'm drinking about... 125 oz of water a day, plus 2 mugs of tea in the morning. I find that the first few weeks I peed a TON and and then it leveled off and I got used to it. I feel a lot better, I have more energy and I'm loosing weight more consistantly.

I use lime juice, as well as those little on the go crystal light packets. I only use 1/3rd of one for each 25oz bottle I drink. I find myself getting in 100 oz between 7am (when I start work) and 3:30 (when I leave work).. I don't feel super dehydrated after I run anymore and I think it's due to drinking so well before I work out.

I'm also wanting to try that new MIO water add in liquid.. I'm not sure if it's across the pond yet, but we have it here. It's made by Kraft Foods, I think..

Anyways, keep trying things to add to it, and you'll get in all your water.

(On a side note, I don't worry about electrolyes. I get enough potassium, calcium, mag, and my phate's from my food. I know the CL has sodium in it, and I'm sure a ton of other things... )
  • Get liquid in any way you can. Are you sick? or just having a hard time drinking water?

Drink tea, water, sparkling water, water with lemon and juicy foods (apples, zucchini, watermelon, etc).
  • when in doubt, pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21163119

god bless peer review! though with any topic, for every article pro-subject, there is one that disproves. such is science.