water bottle advice

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, this is a pretty minor question. I went running today and realised that perhaps my method of carrying water is not the best when the full water bottle in my pocket somehow came undone (even though I swear I closed it well!) and emptied most of the contents onto my leg. Besides looking like I had an accident most of the way, it was distracting, and besides music, I like as little distraction as possible. How do you guys pack around water? I don't prefer to have one in my hands because I like checking my heartrate on my watch (which I know is just a ballpark estimate, since these are not that accurate).
  • Try a camelbak. Its a little water backpack with a long straw. We use them when hiking and they are awesome. I think the cheapest pack will run you bout $40-50 but totally worth it. Look online or at your local outdoor supply stores. Anyplace with hiking equip should carry them.
  • Oh, I do love those things for hiking-the only thing I am worried about is that it might slosh about. With the littler ones though, that probably wouldn't be an issue.
  • With a camelbak, turn the bladder upside down and suck out the excess air/water from the bottom where the straw fits in. It won't slosh then.

You could also try a fuelbelt (google and you will see what that is like). I use different systems depending on the length of my run.
  • Agree with the Camelbak idea - the bladder sucks down as it empties, so it really won't slosh. I have several from 50oz to 120oz capacity and I love them for longer outings. For shorter runs (I always carry water as I live in the desert!), I love my Amphipod belt. I have one with four 8oz bottles and a small pouch that can hold my cell phone, door key and emergency money. I think it was about $35 (edited - it's the RunLite 4 and it retails for $45 - I got a deal a year or so ago). Nathan also make great belts and you can mix and match water bottles and fuel bottles, for things like Gu. I also like to have the separate bottles on runs in warmer weather as I can put water in two and Gatorade or another sports drink in two. I do have a handheld bottle from Nathan that comes with a pretty good "carrier" that you slip your hand through and then you don't have to hang on to the bottle, which is more comfy I think. For me it was a lot of trial and error and I have a load of water bottles I don't use for running now (just for the gym).
  • google "nathan water bottle". the brand is Nathan, and they make water bottles w/ handles designed specifically for running... so it's like you're gripping the bottle... check it out, hard to describe.
  • Awesome, thank you. I think I will be gettng both a camelbak and a Nathan belt/water bottle. Thank you all!
  • So glad you asked this! I'm new to running outside. Even on the treadmill I struggle with water. I have to jump ship, swig, and re-start. Water is a problem for me with running.
  • Do you guys usually drink while running? I can't do it without getting cramps. I guess it depends on the length of the run? (Right now I'm only at about 25 minutes.)
  • If u type "fuel belt" in Amazon, the choices ABOUND!!!

I have 3 different ones depending on what activity I have planned: a camel, a 1 bottle front fuel, and a quad grenade excursion!

They also make hand-held grenades with a key pocket if that's ur bag!!
  • yes.. i cannot drink while running as well.. for some reason the water doesnt seem to go down my throat smoothly and i feel like i get air caught in my throat and i have to stop to force myself to burp. is this normal?
  • I'm surprised you guys run while carrying water, too. I think that would be an inconvenience enough to make me NOT wanna run!

Here's what I do - chew minty gum. I keeps the mouth and throat moisturized, and I never exercise without it.

Also, try running to a destination that has free water. That way you get your hydration without having to carry it.
  • I stop to walk for a bit when I drink. A minute, maybe? On a very long run, I have stopped at a store and bought a bottle of water to refill.
    I have read that it's unwise not to take some sort of water with you on longer runs or have it available (=more than an hour).
  • Well, I like having the option to drink. I can drink and run-it doesn't bother me-and when I go to Arizona, not having water is not an option. Running around in the desert is not a good idea without water.
  • Hmmm...perhaps I'm just weird..or cheap...or both, but I just carry my bottle of water IN MY HANDS while running. I don't stop or walk...or even miss a beat...I MUST DRINK while running...so taking it along is NOT an option. I just use it as a light weight and switch hands every couple of minutes! By the end of my run, I've drank the entire 16 oz bottle.