The Backhanded Compliment

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So the other day, a customer came into my work who hadn't been in for, oh I'd say about 6 to 8 months. He looked at me and he was like "Oh wow!! You had your baby!!"

I blinked. Then realized what he meant.

Dryly, but with a smile, I was like... "Yeah... I started eating healthy and it came out."

Believe it or not, it made me chuckle throughout the rest of the day... I think he was pretty relieved I wasn't angry! hehe
  • ummmmm. I would be like, wow, awkard moment.....ha.
  • HAHA!!! Yeah super awkward LOL, but kudos to you for taking it in stride!
  • Wow... I probably would have sucker punched him.
  • I'm more like you, that would have made me laugh! Its not his fault I look pregnant when I nosh too many cheetos and bubble teas
  • that's pretty funny. i would have laughed and said something similar.

at least you got confirmation of the weight loss being visible to others!
  • That was a funny and gracious reply. Hee hee! I think I would have been too shocked to say anything!
  • I love what you said! When are people going to figure out you don't say anything about a possible pregnancy to a woman unless you can actually see the baby coming out?! haha
  • LOL! Well you handled it very graciously!
  • Wow, Wow, Wow.Wow....Good for you to coming up with the really funny remark!
  • I am having the opposite problem now. When I tell people I'm pregnant they say, "What? You are?!" And I think -- oh bet you thought I just gained all that weight I had lost. SIGH!
  • I loved your comment seriously it was quick and witty! I probably would have laughed too sometimes people don't think before they speak but at least the whole time he thought you were preggers and not just fat!
  • Good for you for not taking offense. Your comment made me giggle A LOT!
  • Quote: "Yeah... I started eating healthy and it came out
    Oh, that is so funny! I'd love to think of something to say like that, but I always think of those things later on in the day. Never on the spur of the moment.
  • Better to get that kind of comment AFTER the weight loss than before! LOL!