Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 2 of 21
Go to
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi, although not stellar. Had family over for dinner and we always dawdle at the table laughing at various adventures.

Nothing special at gym, CREDIT moi. I did try, again, to do my chest press with higher weights and couldn't make it on the third set. Not a problem, it feels good to try stuff that I can't do.

Erika (eusebius) - Welcome back with your new commitment. I thought of you this summer when DW and DD returned from Western Mass with a stone Buddha for our garden (whose head was the first thing to break through the snow this Spring). Hope your playing continues to bring you joy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Monster Kudos for meeting your March exercise goal. I do enjoy watching your monthly total ticking upward.

Beverlyjoy - LMAO at the BBC penguin video - forwarded it to some serious birding friends. Enjoy your visit to your DGS laugh therapist.

maryann - Kudos for your serenity accepting, "to just FEEL WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO FEEL." Like the idea to avoid the burden of starting a whole garden and just do one pot of cherry tomatoes - we like the Sun Gold because they taste almost candy-sweet.

ChefJoona - Kudos to your DF for helping you stay the course through the call for sugary desserts - evenings can sometimes seem loooooong. [Yep, we got your thick, wet snow, LOL. But It's mostly gone already this morning.]

pamatga - Yay for a "vacation" when that's what you need. Glad your new scale makes you happy.

Gwen - Congrats on losing two pounds from your mini-plateau. Kudos for back to exercising.

Jan (jmaf) - Yay for snow - during Winter, not during Spring! Kudos for doing that "shred" thing. What does shred mean?

RunningFree - Good luck on your exam today - neat that you got yourself to do the studying even though it was boring. Kudos for staying away from the assortment of chocolate.

angelskiss - LOL at one more person discovering that they actually do eat standing up. I just knew that I never did. Until I read the Beck suggestion that I monitor that and then discovered that I was eating from my plate as I carried it to the table - Ouch!

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
    task 1
    Gather your supplies
    You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
    . . .
    • A small box. Select one about the size used to file recipe cards. You will turn this into a Memory Box (page 38) where you can store important weight loss milestones and memories.
    . . .
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.
  • GM everyone and GD to those who will post later. Welcome back eusebius. I am a veteran OAer and I will definitely give the 12 Steps credit for nipping my voracious binging in the bud. I still binge on occasion but it is an occasion not an every day occurence.
    Runningfree Wow what a coincidence that is exactly what I have every day. I put 1 tsp of decaf instant coffee into 1 c skim milk and then add a flavoring or artificial sweetner to it. Very addicting! Although I like hot coffee I prefer iced drinks so iced capucinos are one of my favs! I limit myself to one a day but I do look forward to it when I do.
    Beverlyjoy What a gift you have there. What a treat for these kids as well.

Credit moi: For 4/1/11

Back in the saddle this month after quite a horrible month last month.
    Rejoined a daily weigh in accountability thread. I think it helps to identify areas I need to work on
    Joined a Fruit and veggie challenge in another group. I love fruit, can never get enough, and I'm not half bad on the vegetable side either. Prize is a T-shirt at the end. I would like that although I'm not big on wearing t-shirts with sayings on them.
    Water: 64 oz
    Exercise: calories burned 252. (walk, grocery shopping, light housework and strength exercises)
    Still practicing "Patient Trust" from last month.
    Calories: 2400 cal. in 3 meals ( I had a dark chocolate bar as an evening snack )
  • Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good day even including the travel factor. I stocked up on veggies at Whole Foods and resisted tempting samples. I got 15 minutes in on my bike, even though mom got out of her meeting early. I'm back to sporadic weekend internet, so won't attempt personals unless some techo-miracle happens later.

Erika (eusebius), welcome back! *credit* for persistence in reaching your goals!
  • Happy Weekend!
    Ok day yesterday... Ate my planned food, and CREDIT for free weights. Had a little snack attack at night... I don't expect to see any movement down on the scale tomorrow for my Sunday morning weigh-in. Tonight we are celebrating my Dad's Birthday with a family meal. I will give myself permission to enjoy dessert.

I am going to look for Jillian's 30 Day Shred... I would love to be able to do a real push up!

Wishing everyone a great Saturday... will try to plan time for personals tomorrow.
  • Pamatga, Maryann, Bevjoy... I too suffer from depressiosn, (and anxiety attacks, and anger too... such a mess.) I've finally realized that I cannot change the past, and that living in my "imagined" future is futile. So, just for today I BREATHE in the peace, joy, calm and Exhale pain, sorrow, anger. I've recently created response cards for these feelings also (thank you Dr. Beck!) They are working great! Eating right and exercising is also a great depression, stress, anxiety soother... who knew the experts were right???

OnebyOne - thinking of you! Hope you're doing great!

The sun is shining in NC and the trees are putting on their leaves... it's a beautiful day!

I'm off to shred with Jillian... Billbe - 30 day shred is an intense 20 minute workout. Jan - I can't do even 1 pushup yet - I just plank it for now, but maybe by next week! I want to start running again. (really, my running will be more like race walking - never have gotten over a 10 minute mile!)
  • Morning Coaches/Buddies!

It is great to be back with you folks
    Today is Day 2: Choose 2 reasonable diets. This was pretty easy for me as I am already counting WW points (the new version with the "free" fruits and veggies). As a backup diet I am choosing good old calorie counting, which has worked for me in the past. I'm considering using the Beck Diet for Life as support for the backup, but I won't make a final decision on that until I need to.

This morning I have to go to the funeral of a lady who sang in a choir I play for. She really had a zest for life and a big heart, and it is sad to see her go. I also lost another friend in the past few months - this one was much closer to my age, had a daughter the same age as my Claire, and was battling cancer. Losing friends like this really drives home the impermanence and brevity of life. It's sad, but I need to allow myself to feel the sadness and not try to block it out.

RunningFree - great job getting back on track!!

Beverlyjoy - have a wonderful time away! Sounds like you have it well planned.

BillBE - Love how you recognize the value of eating when it's "good enough" though not "stellar". Cool that you have a stone Buddha in your garden now! That would be a nice addition to ours too, hmmm ...

pamatga - good to see an OAer here with lots of success. I think the OA and Beck combination is a winner! Love "Patient Trust" ... a great slogan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - kudos for healthy Whole Foods behaviours and getting on your bike on a busy day!

ChefJoona - Great job staying (mostly) OP!

Gwen - Great advice for dealing with depression and negative emotions.

Wishing everyone a great weekend!
    cheers
    Erika
  • Happy April!

I had company over last night but did reasonably well. I skipped a work potluck in the evening which was great because in doing so, I was able to avoid any tempting food AND I didn't make anything myself which I would have tried. I am known at work for bring a "good dessert baker" which meant I would have baked something and inevitably tried it. I'm glad I avoided the whole mess.

I also got up extra early to do my exercise (longer yesterday) which I was initially struggling with. I did end up eating more than I should have, but it was all healthy food.

Yesterday's task was to skip lunch but since I exercised a lot I'm going to try to do that next week instead.

It's the weekend and I'm hoping I can continue doing good without a routine.

angelskiss - welcome!

Erika - welcome back!!

BillBlueEyes - your sandwich sounded heavenly. I love that combination.

ChefJoona - not my parents, but my grandparents are very superstitious. My mother was raised knowing all kinds of crazy superstitions but she once told me she didn't bother to tell me a lot of them because she didn't want me to worry about such things as a child! It's fun to learn about them now though.

maryann - credit for you that you exercised twice. I hope you are feeling better today.

pamatga - you're right about the eating in the car. I think I need to find a better solution and/or practice Beck's technique of practicing hunger tolerance. I keep convincing myself I'm "so hungry" and can't wait until I get home so I stop somewhere and eat something (usually something bad!). Thanks for the reminder. I'm glad you're back in the saddle and took the steps to help with that by joining accountability groups.

RunningFree - very impressed you were able not to touch the chocolate! I hope your exam goes well.
  • Struggling a bit with more I want to do than time permits and a desire to "fix" it all with food. Staying pretty close to plan, but I need to be closer to plan unless I want to maintain at this weight, and I'm too close to goal to want that.

WI: +0.1kgs, Exercise: +0* 0/1500 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome back, eusebius! Great to see you here!
  • Good Saturday Morning, Everyone.
    Recuperating from the blues. I want to feel free and peaceful but I accept it is not going to happen this moment. I know I have had tremendous peace in my life in the past. I know I will feel it again. But not this moment. The trick I have learned through the Beck program is not to overeat while I am waiting for the miracle because if I do I will have two problems instead of one. Yesterday's food was wishy washy. I am hovering 2 pounds above ticker. Credit, however, for six days of exercise and lots of veggies. I want these two days to be OP for my own sense of satisfaction. I will track all that I eat.
    Pagamata: Thank you for your thoughtful response to my feelings. Reading about your struggles helps me to become less self-centered.
    Eusebrius: Welcome back. I was a member of OA for a long time a long time ago - 20 years. I have nothing but respect for the program and have recently been considering going back to FA (Food Addicts) because they have a meeting close by.
    RunningFree: Your chocolate experiment reminds me of the day I went to Sam's Club and bought a box of 32 Reese's peanut butter cups. I eat one cup a day for snack with a cheese sticks. Amazing that it has been the rare occasion I have eaten more than one.
    Beverleyjoy: Enjoy your storytelling gig. I'm sure your GS will love it.
  • Quote: Welcome to our Beck group, angelkiss. With a name like that, I am sure that you will be a blessing to us all.
    lol. My other online username is crabbything.
  • a semblance of normalcy descends
    Hello Coaches

I shan't go into much detail about the 31st of March 2011 except to say it was by far one of the worst, if not THE worst day of my whole life--no I have had worse days, but I can count them on one hand. I was done tossing/sorting/packing at 5 to midnight March 31st, 2011. Right down to the wire. But I got it all done. CREDIT

DH and I were both extremely angry at each other and it started to bleed out between us yesterday but today we're adjusting. The fishy has a brand new 29gal tank. He is happily swimming. I potted up a plant left for us by the previous tenant. I added soil to the one cactus that made the move to this new place. Caesar Cat is happily finding new favorite spots and has displayed more acceptance and peace with his surroundings than his human co-habitants have.

We bow to you O Caesar.

And guess what? I have to go back to Ottawa (where I just moved from) this week as my sister is visiting and she was supposed to come here and instead I will go there. And this means I can pick up the rest (yes the rest) of my stuff which I panic-stricken had my friend take away in his car for me at the midnight hour... this after a lady and her young daughters were waiting at the curb for the rest of my boxes-that-would-not-fit-into-the-car-and-had-to-be-tossed-out-at-the-last-minute. It was the last emotional straw for me; to see them just rip my boxes open and fling stuff everywhere;packing paper, items looked at and considered then tossed aside. One thing for me to do it (and I had intended to keep that stuff) another to see a stranger and her young'uns do it in front of me. The box that said "bedside stuff" was sealed and I took it right out of her hands away from her. I was horrified and wondered if there were any diaries in any of those boxes she went through? No idea. No clue. Petrifies me even just thinking about it. But that is over over over.

And there I was thinking I wouldn't write any of this to you guys. DH doesn't want to hear it so... that's what we do here right? get it off our chest so we don't eat over it. *phew*

Where I am now there are more services and options available re: working out & swimming. It's good. I found a community garden that may have plots available as well--this is in addition to the other community garden which is more like a farming co-op. I actually have a choice! amazing... and I am 2 gardening zones warmer here.

Foodwise I am back to square 1 for the umpteenth time. I'm determined to start being more discriminating in my food choices and to start switching healthier food for what I've been consuming. It will be good to be cooking once more. I look forward to creating a new functional kitchen to support my weight-loss goals.

Anyway, all is well. I'm still in shock after moving but these things take time. I've only been here 24hrs... it'll take a bit longer I'm sure!

Thanks for being here.

update: I went on tops.org and under their TOOLS section I found printable food exchange cards. I can't find any memory sticks and I had to leave my printer behind so it'll be a day or two before I actually get these printed out--but my plan is to use this to begin again.
  • Tonight I just can't write anything to you, because I feel too vulnerable and this would involve opening up too much. So, I'll just check in and report that my day passed well. By 'well' I mean no binge periods and I am very grateful to God for that.

Wish you all good day tomorrow.
  • Sunday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Tried the Arnold's 100% whole wheat Thins for my peanut butter sandwich for lunch; CREDIT moi. Figured that it would taste like bread ends since each half is like an end. It was good; will have to see if I'm really satisfied with the smaller volume of bread, or whether I'll just add more peanut butter as compensation.

Exercise was an introduction to rock climbing course; CREDIT moi. I was surprised that it's kinda easy to go straight up a beginner's vertical wall because you use your legs to lift yourself up; hands and arms are usually used just for holding yourself vertical on the beginner's climbs. So it's about the equivalent exercise of walking up stairs. Was amazed to see little kids just scooting up walls like spiders. Saw a young girl, couldn't have weighed more than 50 pounds, climbing fearlessly, swinging on her belay rope as required to get to a better footing. And saw a 5 year old boy doing well on his first climb ever.

onebyone - Ouch for the pain of the finale. I suffered just reading about people treating your stuff rudely. When you choose a new printer, be sure to see what their ink costs; my DD believes that the printers that cost less use the uber expensive cartridges.

Erika (eusebius) - Ouch for facing "the impermanence and brevity of life" - I'm seeing a bunch of that lately, also. I'm not feeling pain for the recognition that my journey is finite, but annoyance that I've lived my whole life ignoring the obvious.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - That's a thought that strikes me also, "but I need to be closer to plan unless I want to maintain at this weight." My neurons seem tolerant of inching away from plan, but my fat cells know.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - "Whole Foods and resisted tempting samples" is Kudos worthy and a good reminder to me that I've begun to slip in that area.

maryann - Joyful thought there, "I know I will feel it again."

ChefJoona - Family meals can be a challenge for staying on the path; good luck.

pamatga - A day with both a walk and strength exercises is a good day.

Gwen - Lovely thought, "I BREATHE in the peace, joy, calm and Exhale pain, sorrow, anger." [I can do push ups - it's the plank that kills me, LOL.]

RunningFree - Sending supportive thoughts. Kudos for "well" for your day.

tarte - Kudos for making the choice to avoid the potluck and your own baked dessert. Our recent thing is to bring fruit salad to potlucks; they're always completely consumed.

angelskiss - Waving back. LOL at crabbything.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    Get Ready to Lose

Before you start, however, I would like you to do the following 10 essential tasks.
    task 1
    Gather your supplies
    You will need a number of inexpensive, easy-to-find supplies over and over again while on this plan. You probably already have some of them. Gather the following:
    . . .
    • A larger box. You will use this to store distractions to help wait our cravings, negative emotions, and other precipitants to unplanned eating.
    . . .
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D, The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 33.
  • angelkiss that is just too cute--crabbything huh? Well, human nature is about duality so you are "allowed" (like you need permission, right? ) Think of a porcupine. When they are feeling all peaceful their quills go down and I think you can even pick them up but when they feel "threatened" the quills stand up to attention and "beware". Gee, I think I might be a closet porcupine! Hmmm???

Tarte would it be possible to carry some healthy snacks in the car (or your purse/backpack, etc) so when you feel hungry you can have those instead. I was thinking about individually wrapped string cheese, some raw carrot or celery sticks in a baggy, box of raisins or cut up apple, for starters.

Is it possible that you are allowing yourself too much time in between meals and your blood sugar is getting too low. I begin to shake visibly when my blood glucose gets too low. I am pre-diabetic (with a very strong family history of diabetes on both sides of the families) so I also carry glucose tablets. I haven't had to use them yet but they are pure glucose and they are only 5 calories per tablet. You can buy them anyway for under $3. The hunger buster that I have found to work for me is cheese (especially full fat cheese like cheddar) and lots of water.

Onebyone moving a lot of stuff is a huge endeavor. As I mentioned we moved from Minnesota to Georgia 7 years ago. I can't believe I paid to have professional movers move out of date catalogs, for example. I procrastinated until the last 2 weeks before we moved and I was still packing as the moving men were coming to pick up the boxes. Two years ago I made the decision to take everything out of a storage unit ($140 a month) and made some tough decisions about what I would keep based on the size of our very generous closets and space in our two bedroom apartment. I gave away some things that I now wished I wouldn't have but after all they are only "things". I used to say that I felt that my stuff "owned me". Now, I can truly say I "own my stuff". Anyone who is a recovering "hoarder" knows what I am talking about. Some day you will look back on this and realize that you are not your stuff. You are all you need for this journey in life.

Credit moi:

Having two really good days for my food plan and activity.

I lost 2 lbs of sodium-induced (is there any other kind?) of water weight but I want more! I am hoping to drop 1 lb per day so I wish I wouldn't have had the popcorn and Coke Zero last night. Darn!

I am part of two other groups that have different challenges going on for accountability. The harder one is on here in the 100 lbs group for weighing in every day. Blah! However, I identified some trends I needed to work on so I signed up for another month of daily tracking.

I really wanted to go to my favorite Chinese restaurant today for dinner (read:big meal around 1 pm on Sunday) but after not seeing any weight lose from last night even though I was up every hour peeing, I have decided to stay home and make something here. Don't cry for me Argentina! I can do that on my own, thank you very much!

The other challenge is the person who loses the biggest percentage of weight this coming month gets a t-shirt. Well, I am not big on wearing anything with someone else's logo on but it does sort of bring out the hiberating competitive side in me. If I am even going to "place" in this I am really going to have to knuckle down. It all gets down to choices.
  • Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a good day. I planned, tracked and exercised. I got the results of my bloodwork. Although my total cholesterol came down 10 points from last year, my HDL and LDL did not have significant change. Silly thing, it made me feel like eating junk-like why am I being so good and not seeing better results. SABOTAGING THOUGHT! I stayed out of the chip bag and instead went to the library and got some books so I could learn what nutritional steps I could take to improve my outcome. *credit*

to everyone! Thanks for being here! Sorry I am not able to respond better right now...I do accept my internet connection will not improve here without an outflow of $$ so I will live with it.