~~April Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 2 of 21
Go to
  • Good evening "Sisterchicks" Not much news this evening but I went up and took pictures of our court house a little while ago. It is lit up tonight with the blue lights for the start of Autism Awareness month. I just thought that it was so pretty and wanted to share with you.

I didn't get my wii workout in today.....I have been cleaning and cleaning! I think I got bit by that bug and I knew I wouldn't be able to get both done today so the house won that round. Tomorrow is another day!

Have a great evening..

• I would think cleaning has got to count for something toward activity Karen
  • Good Morning Golden sisters,

It looks like the sun is trying to peep out this morning. And yesterdfay was a little warmer slso, so maybe spring is coming? My flowers are popping up, no blooms yet, just green, but at least I know they are there. Buds on all the trees and my lilac bushes. I just hope the buds don't get zapped by the snow we're supposed to get tonight. Didn't do much yesterday, went to Sam's club and picked up just a few things. i don't have a Sam's Card, but they sent a card that was free for 1 month. I don't buy enough in bulk to justify buying one.

Karen31, You are doing so great! You are getting a good steady loss. And I agree with Gayle, house work is definateally exercise!

Rosie, So good to see that you are doing well. Is it getting easier for you to get out and around? I try to make things in advance too, it just makes things easier. I'm all for easy!

Gayle, exercise builds up. Every little bit you do counts. Even if it's in 10 min. at a time intervals. Just do what you can, when you can. If you can get in the 3 days you're off and then try to do a few min. when you're working, it will make a big difference!

Lynn, your sister looks so much like you! Or you her... But so does some of the other ladies. I couldn't guess which one was your sister. I think that by lunch time, the kids really need to burn off some energy. I think they should go out and run for about 10 min. before they eat. Their appetites would perk up too.

Mary, I don't think you have to "give up" anything when you watch what you eat. You just have to plan for them. If I knew I HAD to give something up I'd just crave it that much more.

Nancy, Your weather sounds a bit like ours. Not great, but surely not what some of the others are getting!

Z, Hope things are OK there. When willllll this stop?

Donna, Congratulations on the weight loss. My family always tells me i'm adopted, because i'm the only "small" one in the family. But I'm also the only one who watches what they eat or exercises. Oh, except for my one brother who also watches his intake and exercises every day.

Bobbi, I'm glad you're getting some relief from those headaches and Hope they go away forever, really soon!

Karen3, Glad that your son's book is doing well! Now you are the mother of a famous author! How exciting.

Well, the circus is in town and looking forward to taking the kiddies. I know the DGD will want to go, not too sure about DGS. is a 11 year old boy too "kuul" to go? You never know.

Freda
  • Hi Everyone,

I just posted the message below in the main forum. If you have ideas, please let me know -

A cousin of mine just started dieting. She needs ideas for nighttime snacks.

Please let me know your favorites.

Thank you,

Lynn
  • Karen - Weight Watchers officially counts housework as exercise, so you should, too!
  • Welcome back Jane...you're moderator friend did a good job while you were gone.
  • Thanks but I didn't do a darned thing! :O The Goldens really are golden.
  • Howdy everyone...especially all our Mods. Beautiful day in the neighborhood. Seems like everyone is having company with an RV or getting their RV ready to go visiting. Can't get down the street for all the hugh monster vehicles. The Bottle Brush Bush is in full bloom and has 10K bees which is noisy. Always worry that they may be hybridized bees. You should taste the local honey made from citrus pollen....$5 a 1/2 qt bottle. We mailed some to friends in Colorado cost $20 for shipping!!

Local tomatoes are in and just got 4. Dead ripe so have use quickly. Really getting to the bottom of the freezer. Gonna start making meals with one pork chop, one chicken thigh, one sausage.....starting to sound weird.

After loving the facial Tuesday am worried now....I have pimples and red spots. Face is super tender. Don't know if it was the sanding or allergies to lotions. Have 10 days before next laser treatment. didn't even put on sun screen this am.

DS lastest email says he is going be interview on a website called authorscoop.com doing a "5 minutes alone with".....apparently they usually interview NY Times best sellers so he's thrilled, i let you know when it happens. That's my baby boy.

Reading a good book....Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Guess I'll go sit on the lania until the sun gets around back. Took out the hearing aides so life is quiet. Are there hearing aid dogs? karen3
  • Hi everyone! The sun is shining! I haven't been outside yet but hope to get out there and do some weeding. My dh is going to start weeding the garden area in preparation for starting his raised gardens again. Since we got home we have weeds everywhere! I've been wanting to spray them but waiting until the rain stops. Hopefully that will be this week at least for a few days but I don't remember what the forecast was.

OP so far today. Yesterday I did fine on calories but had too many carbs. I took an extra 1/2 tab of Metformin but my bs was still high this am. I think I consume too many carbs in the evenings.

The plan today is to stay home and catchup on a few things I got behind on this week.

Karen3 - This is the time of year we just want to stay home, after our three months away so our RV will not be going anywhere for a while. We still haven't decided about selling it esp now that we messed up the side storage door. My dh talked to a Toyota dealer who also deals in RVs and he said they might be able to fix it for around $300. I hope it won't be more. We usually go to Camping World for all things RV but they won't tell us anything on the phone without the FIN number which we cannot find and an Avion enthusiast site online said there never was such a number found on this trailer! I called Fleetwood and they have no records at all from what they tell me. They haven't made it for several years now. SO, we will likely have to pull it to Camping World if we want an estimate from them. Anyway regardless we just can't seem to make up our minds about whether to sell it or now...we go round and round about it when we discuss the pros and cons. For Spring and summer we will just be making short trips (less than a week) and using timeshare condos in our local area (WA and OR).

Hope they didn't damage your skin, Karen3! I love facials and since I can't afford them from regular salons/spas....I used to go to the beauty schools and they were great and cheap! But the last time I went to one the girl kept saying she hoped she didn't damage my skin over and over...I told her not to worry about it, but it certainly didn't make me feel so good about the procedure! LOL That school has closed and the last time I went to another one they weren't doing facials, so I do miss getting them. The last facial I had was at a spa when my oldest dd gave me a GC for a facial and message for my birthday several years ago.

The honey sounds good...I really like honey, but of course can only use it very very sparingly. I noticed that with our tomatoes in Whole Foods the other day...very ripe, so will have to use quickly. We love fresh tomatoes though and they say they help you stay young..gotta love that!

That's great about your son being interviewed! I guess he's an author? If you have mentioned it I must have missed it, sorry.

Jane - WWs counts exercise? Glad to hear that, but since I've always done housework and still got fat, what's up with that?!! Guess I don't do it vigorously enough! LOL

Lynn - I like apple (usually 1/2) slices or celery sticks and peanut butter. I also like yogurt with peanut butter in it..got that from you so you've probably already shared that with her. If you can limit yourself, a few nuts or seeds are good. I have trouble limiting those though. How about a "light" shake made with 1/2 cup skim milk with a little fruit..1/2 banana, 1/2-1 cup strawberries and maybe a little splenda or other sweetener? I esp like these in the evening. Popcorn isn't bad if again, you can limit yourself. As you know, the limiting myself is the hard part for me! ETA: I have recently gotten to like the sugar-free pudding mixes. I do tend to overeat on them but with the calories so low, it doesn't hurt me as much.

Freda - where is the best place to buy a lilac bush...not a tree but a bush? I want one so badly as I remember one from my childhood. It was big and round and smelled so good. Once my dh brought a plant home but it turned to be a tree and has a similiar flower but is white and has almost no smell. I want to make sure I get the right thing this time. Freda, I agree about not having to give up anything but my problem is eating those CCCCs in moderation!! I truly hope someday I can have them in the house again. Control is what I want.

I would love to go to the circus! LOL haven't been in ages! I think my 11 year old gs would still enjoy it. Doubt he's ever been to one, so wish I could take him. Have fun!

Glynne - I know what you mean about being afraid to walk some streets alone. I am too. Too many bad things happening these days to women (esp) of all ages even in the daytime. I live on a cul-de-sac and have often thought of doing as you describe. Maybe I will do just that today! Thanks for reminding me...of course my neighbors will probably think I'm crazy!

Have a wonderful weekend!!
    Mary
  • Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I didn't get a wii workout in again today since we had lots of running to do BUT I did put on my pedometer and ended up taking 7294 steps, equaling 2.30 miles.. I need to remember to put that on when I can't get the wii workout in!! Most of our running was done sitting in the car so didn't get a lot of miles in but at least I have something to show! Thanks for reminding me that housework counts!!

We are meeting the family tomorrow for lunch after church at a buffet. I'm going to try to be careful but not stress to much about it. If I worry about every bite I put in my mouth I think I would get very frustrated and give up. So plan to enjoy my meals with the family when we get together.

Everyone take care and have a good evening and I'll catch you probably tomorrow.
  • Good morning all,

Headed off to work before too much longer. Didn't get to bed until late last night ~ so hoping that today is just the right amount of busy ~ not too busy because I am tired, but just busy enough to keep awake.

My daughter had tickets to the theater last night (one of the nice perks of her job ~ she works at Woodforest National Bank) and it was the 8pm show, so I was able to go after work. I thought it was just she and I going, but had the pleasant suprise that my son went too. Her husband rounded out the group (glad he drove ~ it was downtown Houston ~ but at the same time ~ don't like his driving ~ have to ride with my eyes closed ~ I want that smiley face here where the little face has hair shooting up out of his head in fright ~ but can't find it ~ LOL.)

It was the show ~ Curtains ~ a kind of murder mystery musical all rolled into one. It was good ~ enjoyed that.

Got back home about 11:45 and had to unwind a little and get a snack ~ invited my son in ~ and we visited a while ~ I did not intend to visit so long and should have gone to bed earlier, but I don't get to see my son that often (hard to get together because of different work hours) and enjoy getting to visit with him.

Got to bed about 1:45 ~ up at 7 for work. Maybe/hopefully I will get off on time tonight and be able to go to bed a little earlier. (Got to thinking that even though I didn't get as much sleep as usual ~ it was still more sleep than I got on the Saturday night when I was doing the back to back 16 hour shifts.)

Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
  • So it's Sunday, is it? This poor chickie had to work yesterday, if you can believe it. NOT optimum, but there was no getting out of it. It was a beautifully sunny day, too - and one that I mostly saw looking out windows. Then, as soon as I got home, we had told dd2 that we'd babysit for her son (the one we take on our monthly "field trips") so he arrived, and the evening flew by. We finally got to bed when dd2 picked him up at @1:00. Ack. So tired, I am, and it seems to be sunny out there again today, so if possible, I'd like to get out in it a bit. We'll see. It's been an impossibly busy week.
    Karen31, you're right to not stress over your family luncheon and what you should or shouldn't be eating. After all, if you overdo, you can always under-do tomorrow. It's just a system, I think, of balancing (in MY case, I kind of envision one of those Walt Disney elephants walking a tightrope; fall off today, get back up there tomorrow). You'll be fine - besides, with all that exercise, you can eat WAY more than I could on a good day.
    Oh, Mary! I just love Lilac bushes as well! Love the smell, and like you, grew up smelling them every spring. Now I think I'm going to be on the prowl for one myself.
    Karen3, I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes that you can buy at the grocery store, but I live for when the farmstands open and start selling them. I could eat fresh picked tomatoes until they come out of my ears! My father used to grow big Beefsteak tomatoes when I was growing up, I would put one big, thick slice between two pieces of lightly buttered toast and think I'd died and gone to heaven! Hey! Could you private message your son's name and book title to me/us? You must be so proud of your kid! I'm proud for you, and don't even know him or his book, but with that upcoming interview, it sounds like a bestseller. How awesome for a first novel! (Oh, and thanks for the sunshine...I'm really enjoying it! )
    Lynn, I wish I could contribute some ideas for night time snacks, but I know that I have to cut them out completely in order to lose (and likely to maintain) weight.
    Freda, if it snows here again, I may have to shoot myself. The only saving grace this time around was that it all melted away very quickly, and there's not much left out there except in the fields and woods.
    Gayle, I'll look at the black bean patty recipe and let you know if it's the same one. Actually, I'm almost positive that it is, except that I doubled the recipe and made larger patties. I'm not so good with real small portions - I need something a little substantial, or I'm hungry again far too soon.
    SO glad to hear that you're getting out and about these days, Rosey!
    Mary, yep, I've used that Whey protein in the past. I just seem to have some kind of psychological block when it comes to "drinking" my meals. I guess my only path to success is to continue counting calories. It's the only thing that works for me over the long term. Speaking of which, I need to weigh in today. I'll be back later to report the results.
    Hiya Nancy! The only April Fool's joke WE had was that $#@(*&^%^&%$ snow storm! I would've been much happier with a whoopie cushion on my office chair...
    Hey, PT....yeah, that CCCC rule is a tough one to follow, but the more you follow it...at least for me....the easier it is to stick to. Once I put a cookie or anything sweet into my mouth, I'm a goner. So, I really have no choice....avoid that stuff like the plague or plan on gaining ten pounds from bingeing for a week or so.
    I hope you're feeling better, Bobbie. I'm missing you.
    Thaaaassssss all, folks! Have a happy Sunday!

Z
  • Good Morning Golden Girls,sister girls

I hope you all have a blessed Sunday. Nothing much going on today, some shopping. And since DS is on vacation this week, no kiddies. Less work, but I still miss them when they don't come over. It seems like they are getting older too, too fast. Had the family over last night for the "big game". Our team lost, but it was a good evening.

Karen3, Hope your face is feeling better. I've heard that can happen for a little while. I'm jealous of your fresh tomatoes right now. It will be some time before we will be planting ours. I would love to read your DS's book too. If you want to share the name, please post or private message?

Gayle, It's hard to balance family and time when you're working. Just make up the time by having an early night tonight!

Mary and Z, I love the scent of lilac too. I cut big bunches and put them all over the house when they are in bloom. As far as which kind to buy or where the best place to find them, sorry, Mine are so old I can't remember where I got them. I have seen some new kinds that I find interesting, but don't know much about them. Lilac's are very short blooming, but there is a new kind (I saw on QVC) that blooms a lot longer. There is also a shrub lilac that blooms all season and has a nice scent. I'm really thinking about getting one of the small ones. There are multiple ones planted near where the kiddies play soccer and when the wind blooms the scent just envelopes you. So they would be perfect for a small space.

Karen31, We have to live and enjoy our life while we're (dieting). Eating out, especially with family, is a pleasure i'm not willing to give up. I try to make good choices and not go totally crazy. If you've been to the restaurant before, decide what you're going to have before you go. And stick to it. With those buffets you can easily let things get out of hand. To me, it's not worth messing up an entire week for one day out. After all, you will go there again! After you've lost the weight.

Mary, there are things I can't controle how much I eat either, so I keep them out of the house. Corn chips. some other things. Not something I have to buy. Know yourself, plan accordingly,

All the rest of you, have a wonderful day.

Freda
  • edited it out k3
  • Hmmm - I thought for sure I posted this earlier - I guess not.

I did it!

13.1 miles in 4 hours.

Photos to follow.

Lynn