How are you getting enough Fiber?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm having a hard time finding enough foods to get the correct amount of fiber a day. Right now I'm eating Lentils once a day. It's amazing how much fiber those tiny little beans have! I make them diff. a lot but I'd like to find other foods that are higher in fiber than say 3-5 grams a serving.
  • I went back and looked at my food diary and found a couple of things with 3+g of fiber per serving: fiber one bar (oviously, hearts of palm (I eat on my salad), avocado (a lot of calories but 1/2 an avocado a day is okay).
  • 1 cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber and only 64 calories.
  • Joszac- I just made sloppy lennies (basically sloppy joe with lentils instead of meat) last night and they were sooo good!

Do you like prunes? Raisins? Dried fruits? Add them to your cereal, oatmeal, breads, etc. That's about what I know. Sorry!
  • Sugar snap peas and vitamuffins. YUM.
  • Kashi cereal, stir-fry with napa or bok choy, broccoli, onions and squash on brown rice... plus citrus fruit and salads!
  • Lots of whole grains - I eat couscous, wheat, quinoa, millet, barley, and whatever else looks interesting at Whole Foods

Fiber One - Cereal, bars, and muffins

Lots of veggies and fruits

Lentils and other beans

Multi-grain breads

Pasta from Fibergourmet.com
  • Bran. You can mix bran into all kinds of things. I try to go 50/50 oat and wheat to get soluble and insoluble fibers.
  • I'm all over quinoa these days, i cook it and use it cold (i'm also crazy for greek salad, so i put tomato/olive/cucumber/red onion in the quinoa and toss with a little greek salad dressing), and I like a scoop of cold baked beans with my sammich for lunch - a bit high in sugar but man i love cold beans LOL
  • I like quinoa too, and flax, two tbls of flax added to a smoothie or something has about 8 grams of fiber.
  • I've actually re-thought my fiber needs since going lower-carb. At first I was really worried that I wasn't getting my 25 grams of fiber/day. And I was nervous that my BMs went from 2/day to once every other day. And yet, I WAS regular... just not as often as when I was eating higher-carb/high-volume.

The majority of the carbs I do eat are fiber-full... veggies, fruit, pulses. Yet I often don't get more than 15 grams of fiber/day.

I seem to be doing just fine.
  • fiber is good for lots of things though, not just keeping you regular. Good for preventing diabetes and high cholesterol, etc.
  • Dried figs. Fat free refried beans.
  • Thanks everyone! Now I have a whole list of new foods to help with the fiber. I love lentils but I know I can't continue to eat them that much AND be happy just for the fiber.
  • My go to fiber source is fiber 1 cereal, mixed some greek yogurt and fruit maybe a little honey (if it's not an overly sweet fruit). the fiber 1 cereal if you get the original is like 53% of your fiber for the day.