Great HIIT routine!

• I found this HIIT routine last night while researching and got inspired to try it. There's some science behind it. The first section depletes something, the second section depletes something else and the third section depletes it all better. Sorry, I don't recall.

I've been running pretty intense intervals, so I was surprised my body feels as "spent" as it does. It was not overly difficult in the moment, I think because I'm pretty conditioned for this type of training already.

2:00- warmup/walk
    8:00- 15 sec. all out sprint/ 45 sec jog
    25:00- steady-state jog or run
    10:00- 1:00 sprint (but not all out)/ 1:00 jog

The time went by pretty quickly and overall it was a great workout. My calves are really feeling it, probably from the all out sprints which I did on a hard gym floor.
  • hmmmm...looks good. Will keep for when I start sprints. Thanks!
  • I've done that one, or one very similar, I found it on Runner's World I think? I remember being surprised by how much I felt it afterward, too.

Enjoy!
  • That sounds similar to something to what we used to do in cross country/track training. We'd run ladders, which were:
    15 sec sprints/15 sec jog
    30 sec sprints/30 sec jog
    45 sec sprints/45 sec jog
    60 sec sprints/60 sec jog
    45 sec sprints/45 sec jog
    30 sec sprints/30 sec jog
    15 sec sprints/15 sec jog
    We'd then walk for awhile and repeat. I have no clue how many times we repeated that but it was always too many!

Of course, there'd be a warm up/cool down in there too.
  • Runningfromfat, it's not unusual to do those in our spin class either. I rather like it. I like anything that has me thinking about something different every so many minutes or seconds. The time goes by so fast!
  • Eliana-- its called a "glycogen depletion workout"
  • Quote: Eliana-- its called a "glycogen depletion workout"
    What? You mean it's not the "depletes something" workout?

Thanks! I could find it again if I really wanted to. It was very good information and certainly made sense to me. And I believe my glycogen was definitely depleted because my body was begging me to refuel it all day! Exercise does not usually have that effect on me.