The funny things you did while attempting to lose weight

• I decided, before I knew anything about nutrition, that it would be a great idea to do the Atkins diet and take Xenical diet pills at the same time. I didn't have a clue that "that's" what Xenical did when you eat a diet high in fats. I learned very, very fast it's not such a wonderful idea when I also decided on the start of that diet to walk 2 miles a day with no bathrooms in sight. Needless to say that only lasted for a few days.

I'm glad I can laugh about it now but at the time it was soooo not funny!
  • Oh, this is a cute. Sorry I missed it when you first posted it!

My personal trainer recommended a weight loss supplement. It is supposed to give you natural energy and suppress appetite. I went to GNC and bought them while on the way to the gym around 6pm. It clearly says NOT to take within 6-8 hours of bed time. So I took one! Because what do they know, right? LOL I never tried speed but if I did, I'd think this was the natural equivalant. I was a lunatic at the gym. My trainer told me I had to go home after refusing to get off the elliptical after 75 minutes - and this was after a 15 minute warm up and an hour of weight training. My mind was telling me to say things faster than I could speak them. I got home and ran around the block 2 times like a rabid dog. And I stayed awake practically all night long randomly doing crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks. Needless to say, by morning, I was exhausted and needed to be in traction.

I am still taking these supplements but only in the morning and afternoon -- as directed. And the initial effects do wear off the more you get used to them in your system!
  • The weirdest thing I did was drown everything in hot sauce and drink vinegar every day. Bath room breaks galore to say the least. XD
  • What's the name of the supplement? I could use some energy in the gym!
    I forced myself to eat tomatoes like apples - I hate tomatoes! I should have stuck to the apples!
  • My mother in law sent me to an endocrinologist who had helped my brother in law to lose weight. I was not really in any mindset to lose weight and had no plan for how I might go about doing so, but figured going to see him couldn't hurt. The endo prescribed some phenadrine and gave me a nutrition booklet, and that was about it. I took the pills for about a week, and I felt like I was going out of my mind. I couldn't sit still at work, couldn't think clearly, and was hyper and constantly tense. LOL - that's what speed will do to you!

My husband's parents (who are both thin) are big on supplements and fad diets of all kinds. They constantly seem to be on a juice fast or some other quirky weight loss plan. Nearly every time we see my MIL she gives us something new that she thinks we should take/use - supplements or specialty vitamins or books, etc. Last time it was an enormous container of ground cinnamon - almost jug sized, lol. Most of the stuff I never take and just end up throwing out, but hey - at least I now have enough cinnamon to last for the next 5 years or so.

She means really well, and I do love her for wanting to help.
  • The weirdest thing I've SEEN to do is take a bath in literal ice water. I haven't actually done it!

These are great! I guess I've just never done anything too terribly crazy.
  • Yeah, I've taken those Phentermine Rx diet pills too. You'd think I would have learned from the first episode of the Xenical but no, I'm a dingbat. I swear I didn't sleep for 4 days straight. But my house was cleaner than it had ever been.
    My husband took it upon himself to do research on them and them promptly flushed them down the toilet without my consent. I was angry with him but after he described them as "speed" I changed my attitude about it.

Another funny thing I've done is extreme fat blasting yoga. Which turns the very soothing and relaxing practice of yoga into basically a "Jillian Michaels" on crack extreme yoga till you throw up or die routine (not endorsed by JM, I just used her techniques as an example).
  • I haven't done anything weight loss wise that is dangerous (that's not funny to me), but when i used to belong to WW, I got into the habit on weigh in day of eating less that day, drinking less that day and BEGGING for a bowel movement before weigh in. Then afterwards, I would drive to McDonald's to have my once a week treat - caramel sundae with nuts with a baked apple pie smooshed into it. Mmmmm.... still sounds good. I figured I had a full week to make up for that indulgence! LOL
  • Quote: Oh, this is a cute. Sorry I missed it when you first posted it!

My personal trainer recommended a weight loss supplement. It is supposed to give you natural energy and suppress appetite. I went to GNC and bought them while on the way to the gym around 6pm. It clearly says NOT to take within 6-8 hours of bed time. So I took one! Because what do they know, right? LOL I never tried speed but if I did, I'd think this was the natural equivalant. I was a lunatic at the gym. My trainer told me I had to go home after refusing to get off the elliptical after 75 minutes - and this was after a 15 minute warm up and an hour of weight training. My mind was telling me to say things faster than I could speak them. I got home and ran around the block 2 times like a rabid dog. And I stayed awake practically all night long randomly doing crunches, leg lifts, jumping jacks. Needless to say, by morning, I was exhausted and needed to be in traction.

I am still taking these supplements but only in the morning and afternoon -- as directed. And the initial effects do wear off the more you get used to them in your system!
    Can't I ask what u were taking? Lol sounds great!
  • When I was little(I think around seven years old) my mother always had the Slimfast shakes around and.. well, being seven years old and having no grasp at the concept of calories and what they do, I thought that the more Slimfast shakes you drank, the more weight you would lose. Needless to say, drinking several of them in a day- on top of the stuff I was normally eating- didn't help me lose any weight.
  • Quote: Yeah, I've taken those Phentermine Rx diet pills too. You'd think I would have learned from the first episode of the Xenical but no, I'm a dingbat. I swear I didn't sleep for 4 days straight. But my house was cleaner than it had ever been.
    My husband took it upon himself to do research on them and them promptly flushed them down the toilet without my consent. I was angry with him but after he described them as "speed" I changed my attitude about it.

Another funny thing I've done is extreme fat blasting yoga. Which turns the very soothing and relaxing practice of yoga into basically a "Jillian Michaels" on crack extreme yoga till you throw up or die routine (not endorsed by JM, I just used her techniques as an example).
    JM actually does have a yoga video. It's called Yoga Meltdown, and it will kick your ***. I've never gotten all the way through it.
  • Quote: JM actually does have a yoga video. It's called Yoga Meltdown, and it will kick your ***. I've never gotten all the way through it.
    That's funny! lol
    I cant get past it because yoga isn't supposed to be extreme. Or at least that's what I think, it should be calm.
  • I struggled with bulimia for over a decade and I did some pretty crazy things to try to lose weight. I would eat food and put a tube down my mouth, down my throat and into my stomach and use a syringe to pull the food back out because when I would vomit, my face would get puffy. I also injected IV lasix to force fluids out of my system.

Not exactly "funny" but looking back on it, - what in the WORLD was I thinking?!