Ugh. All my hard work unraveling...

• I just have to vent...

I've been on plan for 3 weeks now and holding strong. Tonight, I had plans to go out with a friend. I preplanned what I was going to eat. When we got to the restaurant, they were unexpectedly closed! The only other place that was opened was a Mexican restaurant. I have a history with tortilla chips and should have known better. I went in telling myself at I was strong.

That didn't work out.

Now I'm home annoyed at myself for eating tortilla chips and an enchilada. Ugh. I know I'm going to wake up with the scale up at least a pound, if not two! It's upsetting because it's taken me two weeks to lose 5 lbs and now I'm going to gain half of it back in one night. To make matters worse, I can't just enjoy my meal, but instead wallow in the consequences.

Thanks for listening. Sigh...
  • It takes 3500 calories beyong your maintenance number to gain a pound. I doubt you ate that much. Your weight might appear to be up from water retention from the chips.
  • Howdy,
    You can use this situation to motivate yourself to do better the next time because there will be a next time. I did not get fat eating a few extra chips at one meal, but many fattening things over a long period of time.

I love Mexican food. My city proudly has some of the finest in the world. I had to learn how to eat this carb rich food in a way that was good for me. It takes time to learn new things. Mistakes and failures can be powerful teachers, if you chose it to be.

I look forward of hearing of your success.
  • Hi! I'm not sure which plan you're on, but I don't think some chips and one enchilada are going to derail you. You may have a temporary water gain, but you haven't ruined all you've done. I think if you just get right back on plan, you will be fine! I know for me, I may not see a loss for a few days, but it straightens back out. I'm trying not to cheat for a while right now, but when I did this before, I had cheat nights where I allowed for fave things like that because I knew at some point I would need to incorporate my fave things in moderation or I would never be able to make this diet work. So, just look at this as a learning thing -- you've discovered that right now this is a trigger for you and you need to stay away, that you really do love the food, and that in the future once you've reached a healthier weight (maintenance) that you are going to need to find a way to fit it in to your life in a healthy way. It may not be a 'staple' of your diet, but it will be something you can have once in a while. Just don't be so hard on yourself now. Losing weight is about learning what works for us and now you know! Good luck and don't give up!
  • Thanks everyone!

I was indeed up an entire pound this morning, but you ladies are totally right- I'm sure a lot of it is water weight and will come off if I just get back on track. I just get so worked up because I find on low carb if I mess up one meal I could paying for it for days! Thanks for the encouragement!