Phase 3 Breakfast Ideas

You're on Page 12 of 25
Go to
  • Quote: Okay, so for the time-challenged, cooking-challenged among us (i.e., me!) is there a way I could incorporate a Weight Watchers Smart Ones - Canadian Bacon Breakfast Sandwich into a P3 breakfast by adding yogurt and fruit? It has 27g C (25 net), 6g F, 13g P and 210 calories. Thoughts on what to add if this is feasible? TIA!!
    Did you try plugging the numbers into the Phase 3 worksheet? That's become my bible when it comes to figuring out how it all works together.
  • Quote: Did you try plugging the numbers into the Phase 3 worksheet? That's become my bible when it comes to figuring out how it all works together.
    Not yet, but I've played around a little on MyFitnessPal. I just figured I probably wasn't the first person who had thought of this and that perhaps someone had a typical breakfast that they used.
  • Quote: Not yet, but I've played around a little on MyFitnessPal. I just figured I probably wasn't the first person who had thought of this and that perhaps someone had a typical breakfast that they used.
    My first inclination would be that the english muffin might be a little too much, but I haven't looked deeply at the numbers - give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can fiangle I think I have those darn worksheets all over my house right now

EDIT: If you did the breakfast sandwich, 8oz plain nonfat greek yogurt, and 3/4 cup blueberries (or 1 cup raspberries or strawberries), the numbers work out. You'd be right around 400 calories, under 50 total carbs, and about 37g protein.
  • Quote: My first inclination would be that the english muffin might be a little too much, but I haven't looked deeply at the numbers - give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can fiangle I think I have those darn worksheets all over my house right now

EDIT: If you did the breakfast sandwich, 8oz plain nonfat greek yogurt, and 3/4 cup blueberries (or 1 cup raspberries or strawberries), the numbers work out. You'd be right around 400 calories, under 50 total carbs, and about 37g protein.
    Cool! Thanks so much! That's the way it was looking to me but I didn't want to screw up. Thanks so much for taking the time, Scorbett! This is a huge help for me.
  • I just want to say, that I can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thanks to everyone, especially you, Scorbett, for keeping this thread alive.
  • Quote: I just want to say, that I can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thanks to everyone, especially you, Scorbett, for keeping this thread alive.
    LOL well LizRR definitely laid the foundation well I am working on a homemade lower carb baking mix and another dessert-style breakfast, Liz left me some big shoes to fill! But I'll probably be in here a lot, since I will be doing P3 style breakfasts in maintenance too - I love breakfast!!!
  • Quote: LOL well LizRR definitely laid the foundation well I am working on a homemade lower carb baking mix and another dessert-style breakfast, Liz left me some big shoes to fill! But I'll probably be in here a lot, since I will be doing P3 style breakfasts in maintenance too - I love breakfast!!!
    LizRR has been the best for recipes. I remember before I started seeing all those veggie purees, and thinking this diet will do me well with my Vegetarianism.

Oh, yeah, I read about that homemade lower carb baking mix you were thinking about. Please, post that. Pretty please.

I'm not sure how many of the sweet breakfasts I can allow myself to have, as sweets are my downfall. But I'll be trying the ones with berries in them. I loved how you changed the french toast recipe to have blueberries. I'll be trying that one.

Thanks again, Scorbett!
  • Quote: LizRR has been the best for recipes. I remember before I started seeing all those veggie purees, and thinking this diet will do me well with my Vegetarianism.

Oh, yeah, I read about that homemade lower carb baking mix you were thinking about. Please, post that. Pretty please.

I'm not sure how many of the sweet breakfasts I can allow myself to have, as sweets are my downfall. But I'll be trying the ones with berries in them. I loved how you changed the french toast recipe to have blueberries. I'll be trying that one.

Thanks again, Scorbett!
    No problem! I love variety in my fruit, so when I set myself up with Liz's recipes, I figured out equivalent fruit portions for just about all of them - so I can swap apricots for blueberries, strawberries for raspberries, peaches for strawberries...etc. Since I keep BAGS of frozen fruit around, I just have to decide which one i want to make the night before
  • Quote: No problem! I love variety in my fruit, so when I set myself up with Liz's recipes, I figured out equivalent fruit portions for just about all of them - so I can swap apricots for blueberries, strawberries for raspberries, peaches for strawberries...etc. Since I keep BAGS of frozen fruit around, I just have to decide which one i want to make the night before
    I cannot wait for some berries again. I'll be buying the frozen ones to keep on hand for recipes, etc. Do you do an even swap (like a cup for a cup?). I'll be prepping things the night before too, I think. After I go for my morning walk, I know I don't have lots of energy to think about recipes.
  • I haven't tried this one myself but here is a P3 breakfast in a smoothie format. You could make this the night before or in the morning and take with you to have as a later breakfast if that is when you prefer to eat.

1 serving whey protein isolate (vanilla)
    3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean or Fiber One cereal
    1 tbsp almond butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2-3/4 cup water
    3-4 ice cubes.
    Put all into the blender until smooth.

Calories 336, protein 32g, fat 12g, carb 32g, fiber 7g.

Without looking too hard yet at the stats, I would say that you could add almond or coconut milk or yogurt in place of the yogurt and maybe a few berries to bring up the calories and nutrition value for P3 but the recipe is a good starting point.

Banana Bread Smoothie
    1 serving whey protein isolate (vanilla)
    1/2-3/4 cup water
    1/2 fresh or frozen banana
    1/4 cup steel-cut oats (measured dry)
    1 tbsp almond butter
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Stevia to taste
    4-6 ice cubes

Recipe just says to blend until smooth but I think you need to pre-cook the steel cut oats. Measure dry, then cook and put all into the blender.

Calories 344, protein 30g, fat 12g, carb 35g, fiber 6g
    Again maybe a bit of room for a tbsp of PB2, a pear or some berries to add a bit more to the nutrition value.

Apricot Yogurt Smoothie
    1/4 serving whey protein isolate (vanilla)
    3/4 cup Liberte 0% Greek Yogurt, plain
    3 dried apricots, chopped
    1 tsp slivered almonds
    2-3 ice cubes

Blend all ingredients. Add water if required.
    Calorie 310, protein 26g, Fat 9g, carb 35g, fiber 5g

If you try any of these, please comment and let us know what you think or how you doctored it up.
  • Quote: I cannot wait for some berries again. I'll be buying the frozen ones to keep on hand for recipes, etc. Do you do an even swap (like a cup for a cup?). I'll be prepping things the night before too, I think. After I go for my morning walk, I know I don't have lots of energy to think about recipes.
    I just used MFP as a guide and matched up calorie/carb counts. For example, 3/4 cup of Wymans frozen wild blueberries is about equivalent to 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup raspberries, or 1 cup sliced peaches. As long as the numbers work out on the P3 worksheet you're good!
  • HOT CHOCOLATE BANANA OATMEAL
    adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/h...ipe/index.html

½ cup unsweetened almond milk
    ½ medium banana, half diced and half thinly sliced
    dash almond extract
    dash vanilla extract
    pinch kosher salt
    ½ cup old fashioned oats
    ½ Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    ½ Tbsp Splenda

Bring almond milk, ⅓ cup water, diced banana, almond and vanilla extract, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan overhigh heat. Stir in oats, cocoa powder, and splenda, reduce heat to medium. Cook about 6 minutes, until oats are softened. Serve in a bowl topped with sliced banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Add an omelet made with 1 egg + ½ cup egg whites, 2 Harvestland chicken breakfast sausage links chopped and veggie of your choice for a complete P3 breakfast.

With omelet and oatmeal:
    Calories: 473
    Carbs: 49g (41g Net carbs)
    Protein: 37g
    Fat: 14g

Just oatmeal:
    Calories: 239
    Protein: 8g
    Fat: 4g
    Carbs: 46g (38g net carbs)
  • KALE/SPINACH AND TOMATO EGGS BENEDICT
    adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ipe/index.html

Blender Mustard-Hollandaise Sauce:
    2 tablespoons Fat Free plain greek yogurt
    2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Pinch cayenne pepper

Eggs Benedict:
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 slices low fat Canadian bacon, cut into small chunks
    1 tbsp diced shallot
    1 cup petite kale or baby spinach (2 cups for Phase 4)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 whole wheat English muffin, split
    2 slices tomato
    2 large eggs

For the hollandaise sauce:
    Combine the yogurt, 1 tablespoon warm water, mustard, lemon juice and cayenne pepper in a bowl, mix with a fork until well blended..

For the eggs benedict:
    Fill a wide pot with about 3 inches of water. And the vinegar and bring to a low simmer.
    Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the Canadian bacon and shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the kale, remove from the heat and stir until the kale wilts, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
    Toast each English muffin in a toaster oven or under a broiler until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Top each with a tomato slice and toast until the tomato is just slightly warm, about 1 minute. Top each muffin with the Canadian bacon-kale mixture.
    Crack each egg into a mug and slip into the simmering water. Cook until the whites are at desired doneness, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on each benedict. Drizzle with hollandaise and serve along with 1 ½ cup diced cantelope.

Calories: 477
    Carbs: 39g (31g net carbs)
    Protein: 32g
    Fat: 13g
  • Oh, thanks so much KitKat! And you too, Scorbett! These are on my list now.
  • Thanks for the eggs benny recipe Scorbett. I love this dish but have made a modified version of hollandaise for years. Plain low fat yogurt, chopped garlic and lemon juice. I'm going to try your version when I get to P3. Now to find a gluten free muffin option that isn't as high in carbs as the rice flour versions.