How do I prepare Tilapia without oil or butter

• I want to make Tilapia for dinner. I don't usually cook fish. All the recipes I am finding want me to use butter or oil. Can't I do this without?
  • I've baked it with just a little cooking spray to keep it from sticking. It was not as good as buttery tilapia, but it was perfectly serviceable.
  • Poaching - buy some poaching bags add some herbs and lemon in there with the tilapia, dropm it in boiling water then voila!
  • Tilapia en papillote - bake it in a parchment paper with some herbs, lemon slices and white wine. If you are baking a whole tilapia, then you can stuff it with some couscous , lemon, herbs, spices, etc.

Personally, I would just use the cooking spray and give it a good sear.
  • I feel sorta silly. I guess I could just use cooking spray!! Duh!

I will try the poaching too!
  • Don't feel silly Sandi! I also use the spray and bake it in foil; it comes out great. Enjoy the Tilapia; it's a wonderful, mild fish.
  • Broil it.

Put an oven rack on the highest shelf setting up close to the broiling elements. Turn oven setting to BROIL.

Put fish filet in baking pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle with whatever spices you want on both sides. I like adobo.

Chuck it in there for 4 min per side on the oven rack closest to the heating element on top. (depends on thickness of the fish. Should flake easily with a fork when done.)

There. Enjoy!

A.
  • I made this yummy sauce to go on top of tilapia: 2 T of super light mayo (30 cal), 1 T dijonnaise (5 cal), 1 T grated parm (20-25 cal), black pepper and any other seasonings you like. I use cooking spray on the pan, bake 10-15 min depending on thickness, then flip the fish over, spread this stuff on the top, bake another 10-15 min, then broil until lightly browned. Mmmm... for the extra 50-60 calories, the goop on the top makes taste decadent.
  • You can also do it in tinfoil in the oven. I add a little bit of broth, white wine and herbs (taragon is nice on salmon... tilapia is pretty versatile) and lemon juice. Seal to make little pouches and bake.
  • You can also stuff tilapia fillets with spinach and roll them up and place them seam side down on a casserole dish and bake them.
  • Is there a reason to not use olive oil?

I mean, yes, it's high cal and fat--but it's super good fat, and is a very healthy food to have! Plus, it adds nice flavor to fish (and many other things). We do need some fat, and olive oil is one of the recommended ones. As long as you measure it (I always measure it, because I can go crazy with it). I have olive oil almost every single day in at least one thing that I cook.

Maybe you have some other reason not to include it, but in terms of healthy foods, it is high on the list (in moderation!).
  • I spray the fish with cooking spray, sprinkle it with Emerils Essence, then drop it into a hot pan. I cook it about 6 minutes on each side. My entire family likes it.