Recipes that freeze well

• Hi,

I need to make full of batches of simply filling meals that freeze well.

Here are my ideas:

chili
    spaghetti sauce
    extra-lean beef macaronie
    soups

shepperd's pie???????
    chicken "fried" rice?????

Any other ideas?

TIA
    Bonnie
  • Hi Bonnie!

Check out our Core recipe board. When I posted a recipe, I tried to say if it would freeze well or not. I no longer freeze recipes with cooked pasta in them because the reheat makes the pasta too mushy for me.

I also freeze a wonderful Chicken Cacciatore sauce. When I'm ready to serve it, I just boil up some fresh pasta.

I've also frozen Core sloppy joes and Smothered Barley Chicken. The Smothered Barley is a well known favorite among Core followers. I'll see if I can think of any others. I made Chicken Fried Rice but never froze it. It made only enough servings that we were willing to eat it in a couple of days.
  • Pulled Pork! Check the crockpot section...
  • Vickie already said this but the Diet Coke Sloppy Joe is wonderful & freezes
    great.
  • I've found any recipe with pasta or beans freezes well. Potatoes get grainy and mushy when thawed out (not sure about mashed). I also don't like the texture of rice after its frozen and thawed.

Some ideas --
    Chili
    Soups -- any type without potato or rice. You can alway make that fresh and add it into the thawed soup.
    Smoothered chicken - receipe on the boards here
    Cooked chicken or turkey - portion out to meal sizes.

HTH.