Dry mouth???

• I've noticed that my mouth has been extremely dry for the last week at least. I'm approaching my 3-week mark on the IP diet and I was wondering if this has anything to do with ketosis and if anyone else has had it.
  • I have had this constantly for the past few weeks so you certainly aren't alone. I have upped my water intake and it has helped a bit. I think it has something to do with ketosis but at only 7 weeks, I'm not an expert so maybe one of the more seasoned IPers will chime in.
  • Dry mouth is a common side effect of low-carb, high protein diets in general. You don't have to be in ketosis to get it, although since ketosis is also caused by low-carb and high protein diets, ketosis and dry mouth tend to go hand-in-hand.

Incidentally, so is bad breath and, for many people, a metallic taste in the mouth. In addition to drinking water, you might try chewing sugar-free gum. Unless you're chewing multiple packs a day, the carbs in it are negligible, and won't stall or slow your weight loss. (That being said, some people swear that sugar-free products make them crave sugar, making diet adherence harder.)

//b. strong
  • Thanks guys! Makes sense.