Help please: Low energy = Carb loading

• Hello all,

I am a carb addict. Now, I can go all day without carbs if I am in a good mood, energized and not too stressed out. I have been trying to keep a 'clean' kitchen with whole wheat and non-white flour food (not just for myself, but all in my home) and myself in check. The problem arises (usually at night), when I am tired or down and/or stressed. This is when I lose all will-power and binge on carbs. As I said, I keep very little, sometimes no white-flour type carbs in the house, but when necessity strikes will find a way to carb load.

I HATE this! It is like my mind goes to sleep and then afterward I wake up and say to myself, "What in tarnation have you done, girl?!". At least I have kicked the wine habit (not a problem drinker, it was just a bad habit)

Does anyone else have this problem and has successfully gained control over it? I HAVE to maintain control when I am low on energy, but just do not have the skills right now.

Thanks in advance - I look forward to your knowledge!

~Peace
  • i have a similar problem-my trigger times are in the evening. i don't keep white carbs in the house either, but sometimes i will eat anything. Even croutons. And my husband will shop and sometimes bring white carbs in. For me however i believe the root of the problem is the *time* of night. Why i can't i relax in front of the TV without DOING something?

i know i have replace snacking with other habits, so i try to drink water and ice tea, or fold laundry. i have god evenings and bad.

Sorry this wasn't too useful, but at least you aren't alone!
    -fm
  • No, food, it IS helpful to read your post. I had to laugh because that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about - even eating croutons! I put them in the freezer (leftovers), but my carb monster persists. I feel crazy, so it does help to know that I'm not alone.
  • i have a similar problem-my trigger times are in the evening. i don't keep white carbs in the house either, but sometimes i will eat anything. Even croutons. And my husband will shop and sometimes bring white carbs in. For me however i believe the root of the problem is the *time* of night. Why i can't i relax in front of the TV without DOING something?

i know i have replace snacking with other habits, so i try to drink water and ice tea, or fold laundry. i have god evenings and bad.

Sorry this wasn't too useful, but at least you aren't alone!
    -fm
  • I used to do that nightly, it's funny that I haven't thought about it until you posted this. But it's been like 3 or 4 years since I've done it. I changed it through changing my routine & taking up a hobby. It's one of the best things I've ever done. It was not easy by any means. It probably took a whole month just to get to the point where I wasn't thinking about it every second. It was HARD, almost as bad as it was when I quit smoking! But I tackled quitting smoking the same way.
  • If you are strong during the day limit your intake to a minimum and save the bulk of your planned calories for the evening.

Although alcohol consumption before consumming high absorption rate carbs is beneficial (slows absorption), so cutting out a small indulgance of wine has probably been detrimental unless the calorie intake has been offset.
  • Thanks. That info. is very helpful. The problem I have is that I already have hobbies, I write, I am a tax preparer, a Grad student, a homeschooling parent, I dance and cook from scratch. So, in the evening I REALLY need to relax. I do have a problem shutting down my brain and then that's when my carb loading kicks in.

I did forget to mention that I have recently started to run an aroma therapy humidifier with relaxing essential oils. I am trying to relax and reduce my stress.

Very interesting Resolute in re: to alcohol absorption. You know, I do think that I do less carb loading when I drink a glass. I hadn't thought about it before you mentioned it. I just automatically assumed that I should cut it out. Great job on your weightloss btw!
  • I completely understand you. After a long night of rehearsal for shows, I stagger in my dorm room at 10:30 and really want carbs. Something that helps: a protein bar with a glass of water as a snack helps me feel full so I don't eat other foods as much. I also journal or find what helps me at the time. But don't feel alone, I'm right with you!