Preparing for dental work

• Hi there, I'm new to posting, but a long time lurker. Thank you for all your tips and inspiration.
    In 2 weeks I am having major dental work done (teeth pulled and getting dentures) . I am looking for low carb ideas on what to stock up on. The dentist has informed me that even after I heal from the extractions, it is going to be difficult to bite and chew as I become accustomed to my new teeth. They suggest ensure, yogurts, and soups, but I would like to stick with my low carb plan as i recouperate. I plan on stocking up on low carb shakes and diet Jell-O, but what else? Has anyone been through this type of dental work? Will i be able to eat eggs, cottage cheese and softer foods? Any tips or advice to offer? I am so nervous and excited at the same time.
    TIA
  • Quote: Hi there, I'm new to posting, but a long time lurker. Thank you for all your tips and inspiration.
    In 2 weeks I am having major dental work done (teeth pulled and getting dentures) . I am looking for low carb ideas on what to stock up on. The dentist has informed me that even after I heal from the extractions, it is going to be difficult to bite and chew as I become accustomed to my new teeth. They suggest ensure, yogurts, and soups, but I would like to stick with my low carb plan as i recouperate. I plan on stocking up on low carb shakes and diet Jell-O, but what else? Has anyone been through this type of dental work? Will i be able to eat eggs, cottage cheese and softer foods? Any tips or advice to offer? I am so nervous and excited at the same time.
    TIA
    TIA...I had all my teeth extracted Feb2, 2011..not able to eat much yet and it is 2-22. I had to put progresso lite soups in blender and puree them and drink soup...lots of yogurt, swallow hole scrambled eggs..i do have stitches out now..but no liner in plates as yet...it will all be worth it im sure..but ready for that day to get here! riverlady2
  • For the liquids stage (remember; do NOT use a straw! It can pull loose scabs that are being formed):
    • soups, definitely. Puree them with cream/cream cheese for extra calories and satisfying fat, and with veggies for vitamins and fiber. Spinach is really easy to blend into soups and smoothies. Protein add-ins include cottage or ricotta cheese, or satin tofu.
    • Sauces and gravies that you would normally eat ON something, you may be able to re-purpose as a thick soup. Welch Rarebit is basically a thick tomato-cheese sauce you normally serve over toast... but it's fine as a soup, too. It's pretty rich though (especially the way I make it) so a little can go a long way.
    • Nut butters and flavored butters may work, too. Eat them off the spoon.
    • If you like sugar-free Jello and puddings, mix them up with cream, cream whipped with Splenda, or cream cheese. If you like a little savory with your Jello, blend it with cottage or ricotta cheese. Mix protein powder into the pudding for extra nutrition.
    • sugar-free yogurts
    • Protein powder blended with cream and.... frozen fruit, or coffee, or coconut cream/milk, or pumpkin and spice, or peanut butter and cocoa (yum!).
    • I like cream cheese or ricotta mixed with basil pesto. Usually I scoop it up on celery, but you could eat it by the spoonful instead.
    • I also love peanut butter mixed with butter and a bit of cocoa powder and Splenda, eaten with a spoon.

Once you get past the "liquids only" stage and are into the "mushy food" you'll have more options.
    • Mashed cauliflower. Creamed spinach, perhaps? Add more liquid as you need to make it softer.
    • You should be able to let--it-melt or gum-instead-of-chew most cheeses. Brie, cottage cheese, and other soft cheeses might work at the mushy stage.
    • Some of the meat salads are very finely flaked or ground meat -- ham salad, egg salad, tuna salad, and if you puree it, chicken salad.
    • Definitely scrambled eggs or crustless quiches.
    • I also really love hard cooked eggs mashed with cottage cheese and mixed with good mustard. Or hard cooked eggs pureed with bologna and dill pickle relish and mayo.
    • Another creamy yummy food is bulk sausage (you'd have to cut it very fine once it was cooked, maybe puree in food processor), a cube of cream cheese (or some Velveeta if you prefer), and Ro-Tel tomatoes.
    • Spinach/artichoke dip
    • soft baked fish
    • falling-apart meat (canned chicken, tuna, long-slow-cooked pork, etc.)
    • Mock Rice Pudding

Good luck!