Movies That Make You Think

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • I didn't know it was the same guy who did Canadian Bacon.
    Okay, I'll try to see it over the holidays.
  • I also liked " Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and "The Usual Suspects".
  • I watched But I am a Cheerleader last night. I got to be careful with these movies, they always make my husband nervous. So did Better than Chocolate.

Two Towers was awesome, though Jackson did not leave us with the bit of despair that was in the book. Sam thinking Frodo was dead and taking the ring. I always cried at that bit.

Really enjoyed Minority Report. It made me think.

Happy Holidays and Ciao Bellas!
    Miss Chris
  • Ok so it doesn't even remotely make you think - but I saw "Two Weeks Notice" last night, and I loved it. It is a typical Hugh Grant chick flick. Nothing overly complicated, predictable, but funny, and very cute.
  • I saw Two Towers on Friday-it was great!
  • I took my DD to "Real Women Have Curves" last night.

We really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone - especially those who enjoy movies that are : empowering to women, have actors who look like real people, are humorous and touching and have a social message ( in this case - many!)

Enjoy! Terri
  • We saw "The Two Towers" yesterday. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it SO much. I want to see it again.....
  • Watched Kissing Jessica Stein last night. It was a great movie! Did not like the ending really, but it was not bad.
    Virginia
  • Haven't watched any movies this holiday yet, but my SIL and her girlfriend gave us a DVD player for Xmas.
  • Oh thats great Ellis. Its funny, both my hubby and myself were going to buy one for the other and thought no maybe we would not like one, so neither o9f us got one. However, I think I will gethim one for Valentines. I have seen them though, and the picture is so nice and clear. You will love it.
    Virginia
  • Hey...you'll love the DVD player, ellis,,,never wanna go back to VHS! I love all the behind the scenes stuff they include on the dvds; scenes that have been cut, actor's comments, outtakes...Enjoy!

Some of my favorite movies are those that have been listed quite a few times...Fargo, Dogma, (Kevin Smith has a store nearby, in Red Bank, "Jay and Silent Bob's," they have a lot of memorabilia from the movie there, like Loki's breastplate with the broken bloody wing stumps!) I bought dh a miniature "Buddy Christ" for his car there. Along similar lines of sacrilege, he he...I LOVE Monty Python's Life of Brian! I remember seeing that in the movies with a friend who was/is quite straightlaced in her approach to religion, (she obviously didn't know what the movie was about when we went!) I was hysterical, she was horrified! Especially when they are tapping their toes and singing, "Always look on the bright side of life..." during the crucifixion! Of course Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a biggie...who can't recite the "Old woman!" "Man!" dialogue between Graham Chapman and Terry Jones...or any number of lines from that movie? Love it!

What about the Devil's Advocate? Al Pacino was excellent!

Also love Young Frankenstein, all three Back to the Futures, Tootsie, The Breakfast Club, Ghostbusters, Stripes, The Birdcage, A league of Their Own, Trading Places...come to think of it, these movies don't make me think, they just make me laugh,every damn time I see 'em!

Hmmm...thinkers...Braveheart, The Patriot, (love you, Mel!) oh yeah, and Mel as Hamlet? Oh yes! The Green Mile...just as good, if not better, than the book. Saving Private Ryan...I've always liked WWII movies, but this is the first one that truly showed the horror and futility of war.

Wow, I could go on and on...I'll have to think a bit more about this...
  • Hey Katrina..."no one expects the Spanish Inquisition"...I love Monty Python and all of their movies

and speaking of sacriligeous .....one of my favorite lines is from a really bad Zombie movie called "Dead Alive". A priest helps the lead character fight off zombies in a graveyard by jumping up and yelling " I kick *** for the lord!" and then uses martial arts to kick zombie butt! Oh, yeah, and this movie was directed by none other than Peter Jackson, the director of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
  • We saw "Catch me if you can" over the weekend.

We liked it - it was clever and had a good pace

Terri
  • My two cents
    I love all the Monty Python movies, but my favorite is "The Meaning of Life" Every sperm is sacred just cracks me up!

I know this one has already made the list, American History X. Another reason to love Ed Norton and a powerhouse of a topic. I thought there could have been further development on some of the Crypt's side. But the raw power,ignorance, and breeding ground for the White Power movement was on full display. Some of the language and scenes turned my stomach, revolted by the display before me. I loved it! What a good movie.

I did tell you gals Nemesis sucked right?

On the girl movie end even though Hugh Grant movies have an air of predictabilty, like any romance novel does. I think it takes good acting to pull it off without seeming too cheesy. Hence my favorite romantic favorites;Bridget Jones Diary, Chocolat,When Harry Met Sally, and The Princess Bride. And no woman should feel chessy for liking them either

Have a happy New Year!
    Miss Chris
  • Ohhhh....I LOVE The Princess Bride!

Guilty Pleasure: All 3 Austin Powers movies! Dr Evil rocks!