Weight loss with Wellbutrin?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • I have taken both the XL and the SR. The XL did not work for me; by late afternoon it was like I had nothing on board at all. The SR seemed to help my mood and behaviors better later in the day. I tended to eat compulsively after I got home from work,which was decreased probably after that first week on the SR. I think it's easier to maintain my weight on wellbutrin;I lose in the begining but then stabalize and have to watch what I eat after that.
  • Quote: I've tried everything else (it seems) and have concluded that it's not just a lack of willpower...there is something wrong with my brain that makes me feel COMPELLED to overeat.
    Me too. My therapist swears I couldn't have been born this way but
    it really feels like it. I had a happy childhood, I have a happy marriage, great
    family, great friends....so why do I do this? Thats the $10,000 question.
  • I'm on generic welbutrin (buproprion) and I'm actually GAINING weight. It has done NOTHING for my appetite...a big disappointment although it has helped some with my depression.
  • Hi dear,

Weight is a big problem for everyone.If you really wants to reduce your weight, dont worry about that. There are lot of process to do it.
  • When I was on Wellbutrin, it gave me lots of energy and dampened my appetite. This wore off after a few months, but it was nice to actually feel peppy after a year of depression.
  • Wellbutrin
    It was instant for me, from the start It put me in a hypnotic trance and all i wanted to do was complete all the tasks I had not been able to do. I kid you not I had a vegetarian pita roll just because I found it so strange to not consume one meal. That was the first day. As long as I kept in mind that I DID HAVE to eat for healthy reasons. It worked for me.
  • Weight loss with wellbutrin
    Quote: It was instant for me, from the start It put me in a hypnotic trance and all i wanted to do was complete all the tasks I had not been able to do. I kid you not I had a vegetarian pita roll just because I found it so strange to not consume one meal. That was the first day. As long as I kept in mind that I DID HAVE to eat for healthy reasons. It worked for me.
    How long did this trance feeling last? How long did you feel your appetite was suppressed? From what I am seeing, it seems the appetite suppression lasts for a little while but eventually goes away. So after 6 months or so, it isn't suppressing the appetite any more?

Thanks!
  • I took Wellbutrin XL about 5 years ago for depression and lost 30lbs. (it was combined with exercise and weight watchers).
    I found that it really really helped my emotional eating.
  • Was on Wellbutrin in 06 within 10-11 weeks I had lost about 60 lbs. I was also walking on the treadmill everyday and eatng healthier. But I think it curbed my cravings. It also made me a little aggressive. I would stand up for my self a little too much. I thought I was going to end up beating someone up for taking my parking space once. I had to get off of it. I tried it again last year because I kinda missed the confidence it gave me, but this time it made my heart race like crazy, certain sounds were making me feel nuts and I found myself yelling too much at my poor kids.
    It started working for my depression at about 25 days. It instantly curbed my appetite. Good luck hope it helps u out.
  • Hi!

Wellbutrin is a stimulant (rather than a depressant like Prozac and the other SSRI drugs). Hypothetically, it will actually make it easier for you to lose weight on wellbutrin/buproprion. So just wait it out a while and see what happens I think you will like the results.
  • hi,

I too was switched from prozac 40 mg to wellbutrin about a month ago. It is finally kicking in for me the past week or so and I am feeling my depression lifting. It gave me nausea the first couple of weeks, but I would still eat sugars But now I think it is helping to curb my appetite. I really need it because I started the ideal protein diet 10 days ago and it is pretty restrictive.
    I feel that prozac made me gain weight (or could be the 1 mg of abilify I am on). I am up 30 pounds in 5 months!! I never got over the low energy which is why she switched me.
    I definately feel an energy increase, appetitie decrease, more ability to focus. I do get hot flashes though and have difficulty sleeping.
    Good luck all!
    It sucks depression makes you crave carbs and most depression meds can make you gain weight. constant struggle!!
  • Quote: I'm on generic welbutrin (buproprion) and I'm actually GAINING weight. It has done NOTHING for my appetite...a big disappointment although it has helped some with my depression.
    I took generic welbutrin too and didn't lose that much weight, whatever I did lose still required my willpower and effort... Wonder if those that have had weight loss on it are using the name brand/non generic.
  • Quote: I took generic welbutrin too and didn't lose that much weight, whatever I did lose still required my willpower and effort... Wonder if those that have had weight loss on it are using the name brand/non generic.
    I dont remember the first time around if it was generic, probably was if the insurance was paying. This last time after reading all the negative stuff about generic I decided to order from Canada I paid about 120 for 3 months worth I think. I figured 3 months woukd cost me about 20 per month here so it wasn't to big of a cost difference.
  • I am taking the generic but I started to lose my appetite right away. I've only been on it for 11 days but have lost 5 lbs (I have about 50 lbs. to go). I have gone to the gym BUT I have to remind myself to eat a little something or I could go almost all day with out eating. Completely quit my binge eating (so far). I hope it keeps working on my appetite, emotionally I feel a tad better (probably because I am losing weight) but I realize it takes about a month to fully kick in on the emotions. I do get a dry mouth but that's okay because it gets me to drink a *ton* of water...
  • It also did nothing for me appetite wise or depression wise :/. I'd read some people list weight with it but tree is also those of us who noticed no difference whatsoever.