THEMED B-day Party! Input please!

• I'm turning 29 in March, and I want to have a themed party. I don't mean like, luau or Fiesta, but based off of a movie, time period or something similar.

I'm going to be doing it at a bowling alley, more than likely. So far I've come up with The Big Lebowski (though another friend of mine did this a few years ago), 1982 (the year I was born), Rocky Horror Picture Show, Alice in Wonderland, Kill Bill and of course Disco, 90's etc...

I want something awesome, but I'm afraid things like RHPS will probably be too risque for the bowling alley, LOL!!!

What do you think?
  • The Roaring 20's would be fun.
  • I'd be ALL about Napoleon Dynamite! That should be easy enough to "theme" and most people shouldn't have to go out and buy new stuff! I'd totally sport a side ponytail like Deb and dress like her. And those "Vote for Pedro" T-shirts are a dime a dozen! Sounds like fun, good luck!
  • Grease? Esp since Grease 2 had bowling alley bits?

Big Bang Theory also had a bowling alley episode.

I love RHPS, but yeah, that in a bowling alley can be a bit much. LOL.

Oh, and check your alleys. One of my favs does the midnight bowl in black light and plays oldies because it's time for the Rock & Bowl so it would be easy to have the theme be "glo in the dark" so people could be all glowy in the black light. See if any of yours does that.

A.
  • I like the 1982 idea. You can get news headlines from 1982 at Hallmark Cards.
  • '80s Night! They should already have the music there, and everyone no matter how old or young gets nostalgic about Madonna's conetits. With icons like Siouxsie Sioux, Cyndi Lauper, etc everyone could have an awesome costume!
  • Quote: '80s Night! They should already have the music there, and everyone no matter how old or young gets nostalgic about Madonna's conetits. With icons like Siouxsie Sioux, Cyndi Lauper, etc everyone could have an awesome costume!
    I wanna come !
  • Krampus, I think I am indeed going with an 80's party. I love the thought of teasing my hair and dressing the way I always wanted to when I was a little girl (but couldn't afford to!!) LOL!!
  • Let us know how it turns out--I turn 30 in a few months and never have parties. DH and I don't drink, so bar parties are out. Have fun!
  • DO IT! Your own birthday party is one of the most pure judgment-free zones on earth. Go all out and have fun! With all the stress you've been going through lately you could use some quality "look how awesome I am" time.
  • I just went to an 80's party last weekend! I even went to Sephora for a sample of Obsession so I could smell like the 80's, lol!
  • I had an '80's karaoke party last year for my 50th birthday. It was awesome. I'd say at least half the folks there dressed up in their favorite '80's character. My son came as a Flock of Seagulls band member. I dressed like Cyndi Lauper. My girlfriend came as Madonna. My husband dressed as the construction worker from the village people. My favorite: a neighbor, who in real life is in the military (high rank), came as a '80s big hair band member. He wore animal print spandex pants, big curly blonde wig and carried a blow up guitar. I should have handed out prizes for best dressed--he surely would have taken first prize.

Young and old had a great time. I sang until I was exhausted and so did everyone else. One of the guests taught us the electric slide. We danced, laughed, sang, ate good food and had a blast!

Most of us went to the thrift store to find our 'costumes'. It was a riot. That's where my neighbor found his spandex pants!

Have fun!!!

• You'll definitely have much fun doing the 80's theme.