Your Coach.. access, contact, support, etc.

You're on Page 5 of 10
Go to
  • Have you reported the clinic? if they have coaches that have no training it sounds like they are only in it for the money. It is sad that a program this good gets a bad rep because of bad training.

My coach wasn't the best but I had lots of guidance here and at work, but at least my coach had been on the program. I start this week with a new coach and don't weigh in for 2 weeks as this monday is a holiday... I hope this coach is a little better informed as when my weight loss slowed down she suggested going without restricted... and the sub coach I had when my coach was on vacation told me I needed to have my restricted as the body needs it. That and she asked to see my diary, I told her I didn't bring it as my other coach never asked me for it... so it will be interesting what happens next.
  • I just don't think the "coaches" are very knowledgeable and I don't feel they have much training. I thought that, for my $250 fee, I would be getting blood work, blood pressure monitoring, questioned about how I am feeling, etc. I also expected them to be more knowledgeable about the science behind the diet, and that it would be more tailored to me. When you read the book, it talks about working with your nutritionist or other expert and I thought that was what I would be getting.

Instead, I have had 3 different coaches in my 4 visits. They seem to only know what is on the sheet. I had one who (1) had no idea what napa cabbage or yellow summer squash were and if they were permitted (2) that peanut butter doesn't have enough carbs to knock you out of ketosis if you have 1 TBSP in lieu of a restricted (3) that there is a difference between tamari and standard soy sauce (4) had no idea about the relationship betwen the potassium calcium supplement and thryoid meds, and (5) had no idea if it was ok to do the RC sodas (0/0/0, splenda, no phosphoric acid). I just feel like I get WAY more information on here then they can offer. I am just grateful you all are here!
  • Collep
    What is the relationship between potassium calcium supplement and thryoid meds? Are you not supposed to take them at the same time?
  • I read something about it on this site - I don't recall the specifics but something about neednig to wait 4 hours between the two so I just take it when I take the second round for the day.
  • This coach issue blows my mind and I wonder about the coaches out there every day. It is obvious from the questions posted here that there is a huge varience in training/ability. My coach told me on day 1 about the side affects of week 1- dizziness, headache, lightheaded, fatigue. Amd the other potential side effects throughout the diet-feeling cold, potential changes with TOM, the big C, and why these things happen and how to take care of each problem. It seems like some of you poor people are handed the packets and the coach waves goodbye. My coach goes through my food journal line by line every week, weighs me, measures my arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves, calculates my BMI and body fat EVERY week. She also shares recipes and any tip she can think of. AND if I have a question in between, I can call or text her. I am lucky!
  • Quote: I read something about it on this site - I don't recall the specifics but something about neednig to wait 4 hours between the two so I just take it when I take the second round for the day.
    I went to about.com and it recommends that you do separate the thyroid medication from the calcium. Thanks for letting me know this as I was taking them together.
  • Quote: This coach issue blows my mind and I wonder about the coaches out there every day. It is obvious from the questions posted here that there is a huge varience in training/ability. My coach told me on day 1 about the side affects of week 1- dizziness, headache, lightheaded, fatigue. Amd the other potential side effects throughout the diet-feeling cold, potential changes with TOM, the big C, and why these things happen and how to take care of each problem. It seems like some of you poor people are handed the packets and the coach waves goodbye. My coach goes through my food journal line by line every week, weighs me, measures my arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves, calculates my BMI and body fat EVERY week. She also shares recipes and any tip she can think of. AND if I have a question in between, I can call or text her. I am lucky!
    Determined, I have a great coach just like you do! My clinic experiences sound very similar to yours, and likewise, my coach is available even when I'm not in his office. I'm starting up my half marathon training again and he's even asked to see my training schedule so he can modify my IP intake accordingly. They even send out a week-specific coaching newsletter to address some common questions, concerns, etc. I know he does remote coaching as well as in-office stuff, too.

So, Gika, can you switch clinics as long as you keep using an IP clinic? Maybe there would be more helpful stuff if you were somewhere else? I don't know what the IP rules are... I understand they want you to use *someone* because that's how the practictioner makes money, but are you free to find a new someone if you aren't happy with the current one?
  • Quote: I went to about.com and it recommends that you do separate the thyroid medication from the calcium. Thanks for letting me know this as I was taking them together.
    Glad you found out. I am so surprised that the doctors/pharmacy don't inform us of this FACT. I found out through research! Calcium can actually reduce the effectiveness of your thyroid medication when both are taken orally. I recently switched to Armour Thyroid and take it sublingually twice per day but continue to separate the two.
  • My coach is very supportive but I don't think that she is very well informed. As you guys have stated above, very nice lady but I'm pretty sure she did the diet a few years ago then saw it as a money making opportunity. I'm still new to the plan but I learn MUCH more from you guys than I do from her. She even told me that she wasn't so sure about these boards. (Again, she's only worried about $$$) She says, "you know there are lots of different diets on that site and there are people out there trying to sell you products with no coaching." She knows nothing about the site but is only afraid that I find a way to get the packets without her. I've been dieting all of my life and have tried just about every one out there and am pretty well informed about how the body works. I have no doubt that I know more than her. I sadly come to these boards with questions and ask her the same then I figure out which sounds like the best advice.
  • I takey Synthroid for my thyroid. My personal dr has always said that thyroid medication are "only children". She said you always take it on an empty stomach and by itself. Wait a few hours before taking anything else.
  • Pheww I've had a couple of busy days, so sorry I didn't reply before

Something really interesting happened yesterday. I found out the night before that I'm going to be out of town for a week, so even though I had just been to the clinic on Wednesday to get my products I had to go again to get one more week's worth. I called the clinic and tadaaaa the director of the program answers!! Aparently the IP coaches were going to have a meeting or something. He was the nicest person! He told me about his and his wife's experience with the program, and so I seized the opportunity and I asked him all sorts of questions. He said that some of those questions should have been explained to me when I signed up. It was just such a delight ahh. So he said he was going to talk to the other physician etc etc (don't want to drag this convo too long). Anyway, unfortunately when I went to pick up the items he wasn't there anymore, but I already saw a change on my coach. She patiently heard and answered the rest of the questions I had and whaddayaknow they ARE going to order the novi-lax for me (btw the coach didn't even know it existed, I had to write it down for her and she went to look it up)

Of course I don't expect this to be a 100% turn-around, but it's improvement, so I'll take it for now.

2riderollercoast- It sounds like you might be getting a better coach now, I'm happy for you! If I don't see considerable improvement I'll definitively talk to this guy I spoke on the phone with and give him my input/suggestions.

Coliep- I had the same idea about the program and its providers when I signed up :/

Determined- Your coach is my dream coach! Unfortunately there is only one other IP clinic in this part of the state, and it's the same kind of clinic (urgent care, plus it's farther away) so I'm a little hesitant to try them out, but I just might swing by and see how things look over there.

Thanks everyone!
  • So happy things are getting better!
  • ive been on ip for 3 months and have lost a total of 33 lbs. so far. there have been weeks where i lose 5 lbs and weeks where i loose .8... one week i actually gained .2.... whoever told you that is definitely full of it. ive never heard that before! if you feel like the program is working for you, i say try finding another clinic that offers it, especially if you are paying for it. and keep up the good work girly! dont be discouraged. any weight loss is a good thing

• Shall I trust my Coach or is she Nuts???
    So for the second week in a row I had a dissapointing loss of 1lb. Yes, I understand it is a loss, however considering I haven't cheated, I'm not close to my goal weight and I'm doing everything by the book I'm stumped??

My coach told me once again she would understand if I phased off and stopped, I told her I've invested too much into the program and need to succeed.

She suggested I do 3 full days of ONLY restricted foods - breakfast, lunch and snack in order to kick start my body, or I could have 3 cheat days and then go to phase 1 as it wouldn't be any different. I mentioned that 3 restrictives would at least be controlled proteins and carbs which to me sounds very different from 3 cheat days.

Then in a different breath she said perhaps I'm insulin resistant and should give up on restrictives and see how that works.

Another thing she mentioned was perhaps I'm starving myself..... she said I should be having 8oz of uncooked meat for dinner. I told her I weigh it after it is cooked and ensure I get just over 4 oz, I was sure I read it had to be between 5-8oz of uncooked meat. No way in **** can I eat more than that and I'm not a super large person to start with so it really doesn't make sense.

She also stated that inches lost should be similar to weight lost. I have lost 30 inches to date but only 19lbs and she is hung up on that (this is week 8)....

I follow the diet to a T. The only things I have that may be an issue are:
    2 cups coffee - 2 packs of splenda (max per day) - no milk
    Red Rose tea (black - perhaps 2 per day) - however I drink plenty of water
    Mint tea and other teas (some herbal)
    Gum (2 pieces/day) - Dentyne Fire or Stride

I left the office with a week of food containing no restrictives. I'm dissapointed and confused and could use any advice or suggestions you may have. I really need to succeed on this diet but paying $90/lb is killing me!
  • Yup... she seems nuts to me... don't know about anybody else, but she seems like not appropriate to be in a coach position seeing that she does not know a lot about what is going on with you.

From my own experience: since I started IP, from the very first week I used to have a restrictive (a bar usually) for breakfast and I lost weight like crazy. But remember, a restrictive is a restrictive because it has a higher number of carbs and for your coach to suggest you have 3 of them a day... yes, it sounds fishy to me...

You are doing everything right OP, a 1 pound loss is great seeing that you don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, your body might be in a period where it is adjusting, you will lose more in time I think.

I would not do 3 cheat days, nor 3 restrictive a day (believe me, I know what I am talking about since I cheated on a couple of occasions, I am not proud of it and I know how hard to get back OP and how bad you will feel after, your body would not thank you for it), what I would do is try to have one restrictive every other day, eat lots of lettuce (to help things going) with my 2 cups of veggies for lunch and dinner and drink plenty of water.

Hope by next week you will report a good loss

Good luck!