#248 Bale of Turtles Doing What We Need to Get What We Want!

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • Hope you all had a good day. My eating was so so. I started off good in the morning. I made a stop at McDonalds and got some nuggets and fries. I was willing to use the points, but I shouldn't have eaten it. It actually made me sick. So greasy fast food is out the question.
  • Hi all! Today has been a funny and good day.

I got to work and discovered that the lights were out. An electrical failure can be a real crisis in a retirement community and nursing home, even though there's a generator for emergency functions such as oxygen delivery. So I went around checking in on my "regulars" who attend our religious activities, just to be sure that they had something to eat and were warm enough. Most of my stash of healthy stuff ended up in the tummies of Independent Living residents who didn't have any non-perishable food which could be eaten at room temperature. This also got rid of my pre-WW UN-healthy stash, too. Which was a blessing because I hate to throw things away.

So I was standing in the hall with the activities director and I jokingly said, "Let there be light!" And the lights came on! I'm not kidding. Told him that it's one of the perks of my profession.

It took awhile to visit everyone and make sure that they were able to fend for themselves, as the optional meals service was slow getting started and the nursing patients had first priority. Today was a lovely day of feeding others and making sure that everyone was comfortable once the lights came back on.

I went to my WW meeting, kinda expecting to get a little setback, because how could it match the rest of the day? Plus, I've only been on the program for two weeks, and the first week was a break-even after factoring in the difference between my casual clothes and (much lighter, because nursing homes are always over-heated) work clothes.

To my amazement, I'd lost another 6 pounds this week! The only explanation that I have is that (by God's grace) I've been able to significantly lessen my medications after only two weeks, and this helped some of the side-effect weight to come off. So the total is 8.2 pounds so far.

While it's still too soon for me to undertake a formal exercise plan (though the doctor suggested that I could do it when I got down to about 225, which is only eight pounds away!), I've been moving around more at home, especially shoveling snow, and pointedly taking more steps at work.

Anyways, I am rather boggled by it all. I'd keep with it even if I weren't losing because I feel so much better. But it was so nice to get a reward on the scale this week too.
  • Aunt Loopy What a great loss!!! Wonderful work!!!

I didn't go to WW last night not sure if the meeting was on or not there is only a 800 # with a lot of assorted info, nothing was said about cancellations, so I stayed in, will go before the end of the week. Feel like I failed yesterday of course it was the dreaded drug lunch. I ate salad (good) and 2 halfes of way too much bread sandwiches and then 2 oatmeal m& m cookies. I know it wasn't that bad. But I want to eat better I see the little people pile on the salad, then only eat one piece of the bread they leave the top and only have half a sandwich. They have one or no cookie. Any way more beating myself up onward! and downward with the scale. Will be really good for next 2 days and go to Sat am weigh in!

Storm was sort of a bust here we got enough snow, kids stayed home from school but it was not to bad by the end of the day.

So Happy Thursday everyone.

Terri
  • Morning all and happy Thusday to you all... I am back at work today. I managed to fall down our back steps yesterday on the ice and while I don't think that I broke anything I am very sore today and have a bad twinge in my back... may have to call the doctor but just not sure yet.

This is just a quick fly-by but congrats to Loopy and I hope everyone has a good day!
  • Princess, I'm sorry you fell and hurt your back. Here's : to you.
    I was glad to type out my crochet blanket pattern. I've developed it over this past year because every time I made a new blanket, I tried different hooks and got different shapes. All of a sudden I realized that if the shape was a rectangle, a border would make it the size I wanted and a little shell stitch around the final row made it pretty. Voila!
    So glad you didn't lose your electricity.

Aunt Loopy, what an inspiration! My goodness a : and *light*. You are too much. I am thrilled you've joined us here at Turtles, and I'm so happen that you've been able to reduce the amt. of your meds. You do very rewarding work. for your great weight loss.

Terri,
    those rep lunches are tough. Somehow they always find the yummiest foods to bring it. At least you're aware of what you want to eat and I think next time that's exactly what you'll do. Good luck and :

Life4vr, isn't it weird how our bodies can't handle the fast foods well anymore? The fat in those foods gets me now too. I've been able to handle a whopper junior (no mayo) for 7 points plus. That and a Diet Coke are my standbys when I have to do a drive through. : for all you're doing.

Bandit:glad you got to work and the snow wasn't as bad.

We didn't get as much ice and we really just got slush---no real snow. We're still looking at two feet of snow. Last night I drove and the roads were fine. Yesterday our WW mtg. was cancelled because of the ice. I'm going to WI at the Thursday meeting in a few minutes. Then this afternoon my regular leader is having a get together for WI and a short meeting for anyone who'd like it. I'm going to go because I miss her. Most of the girls have other plans, and won't be able to make it. I went grocery shopping and got in all sorts of good veggies and fruit. I'm going to cut up a pineapple later today.

Gotta run and take care of myself. Glad to see so many of us chiming in and doing the right thing.
    Judy
    234.6/192/170's and thinner
  • Morning, turtles:

Loopy - congrats on such a fabulous loss, that is awesome!

Princess - Ouch! Hope you are OK.

Judy - good luck at your weigh in today.

Terri - Hope you get back on track for your upcoming weigh in. Temptations are tough, but as you said move on & do your best.

The storm wasn't as bad as predicted, but I still spent 2 hours shovelling last night & it is sooooooo deep on my lawn I am running out of places to put the snow. That made my dinner late & I ended up having a quick chicken stir-fry over rice which was very tasty then later I had a cup of cauliflower soup, which was great.

It is very sunny today and makes it seem warmer than it is. It is still
    very cold. Have my weigh in tonight & hoping to be down at least 1# (then
    I would be back to my pre-Christmas weight) and that would be great.

Anyway, stay warm and lets get our butts out there and exercise. I tell you
    mine is abit sore today & my arms are very tender, so I must have burned off
    lots of calories with the shovelling.

Have a good one!
  • Bandit, great job with the shoveling and food It's great to have a vegetable soup on hand for those times when you really are hungry.

I've been eating very carefully this past week. Writing down my food for the day including snacks before I eat it, and adding in anything additional that I do eat. For now that's working. I lost 2.2# this week : and I'm thrilled (I had been up even higher on the scale in these last few weeks. 1/15 was the last day I weighed in because of the snow. So my true loss is better than that. Had a big fast weight gain, got into control, worked the program, and lost weight. I have to lose 3# to get down to my best weight right before Christmas. I can do this! Then onward and downward again.

I'm heading out with my dh, but I'll start a new thread when I get back because we're getting long.
    Judy
    234.6/190.2/170's and thinner
  • Hi all!

Terri, I think that you did a great job at the drug lunch. Remember how you might have eaten in the past. And this is where the weekly points allowance comes in handy. We get free lunches at work too, but ours are mostly from companion/aide services in the indepedent living apartment building, and hospices in the nursing care wing. The hospices especially put on a good spread -- it's like they think we're all gonna die in six months ourselves, so why not live it up today???

Luckily, I have a DH whose daily Points range (he's not officially on WW, but is following along more-or-less willingly) is well over 40 points. So the sinful plateful which always makes it onto the chaplain's desk gets wrapped and put in the fridge till I go home. I call to warn him that he should eat a salad for lunch, and I get the vicarious pleasure of watching him enjoy the stuff without going off program.

Meanwhile, it's for days like these that I keep a 2-point Lindor Truffle in my pencil drawer. Somehow, having a little teeny bit of the best available chocolate makes skipping the cake and other stuff do-able for me.

I've been using less than 7 points from the weekly allowance, but almost every one of them is for a chocolate cherry or a truffle. Sometimes something small but perfect is just what I need to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

See you all on the new thread!
  • Hope everyone had a good day. So I am still within my points. Woo hoo so that is good. I had some chocolate earlier and that encouraged me to do the Wii fit. Also so I had some candy aslo. It was much friendlier on me than the chocolate. Like 4 pts for three of the Sugar Daddy candies. I like caramel alot. Hmm thats about it have a goodnight.
  • Aunt Loopy and Life4evr, seems like you guys are happy counting in candy/chocolate to keep on track. I think it's smart. There are plenty of days when I count in (2points plus) an individual wrapped Ghiardelli dark dark chocolate and thoroughly enjoy it. I also bought some Diet Cocoa for 25 cal. each. Nowhere near the quality of chocolate Loopy is eating, but it does satisfy my chocolate craving and seems very filling.

Okay, I'll see you all at our next thread: #249 Bale of Turtles Keeping Track!

Judy
    234.6/190.2/thinner into the 170's