East v West throw down challenge

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • Hunger. Maybe it's my daughter's left over french fries sitting less than 2 feet away. Scale said 241 this morning which since I ate a fair amount of carbs might be close to accurate. Since I was hoping to lose 2 lbs a week for the first several weeks I might be on track. Suprailiac was under 11mm.

Did I already mention the dog chewed up my HR monitor? Must have been knocked off my dresser. I just need a new strap but they are out of stock. I'm too cheap to spend another 40 bucks when I only need a strap. Hopefully they come back into stock soon.

Calories 2,034
    Fat 68.5
    Carbs 214.1
    Protein 190.9
  • Forgot to weigh myself. Didn't do any exercise. Toastmasters had a pot luck and I ate 3 medium meatballs, a salad (lettuce only) with some italian dressing, some kind of lo cal lasanga, one fried chicken wing, one of those round Costco brownies, and a small pepermint patty. Calories estimated 900-1000.

What I ate the rest of the day look like this.

Calories 1,085
    Fat 27.1
    Carbs 86.5
    Protein 164.6

So it appears I got a reasonable deficit done.
  • Scale says 238. I know it's just water due to glycogen stores being greatly reduced but it is nice to see that I'm in the 230s.

I am pretty surprised at the lack of physical change in the mirror. I've lost at least 3-4 lbs of fat and where it came from I don't know. I'm wondering how many lbs I'll have to lose for the difference to be obvious in pictures.

This weekend I'm going out of town to visit some friends. My biggest binge of 2010 involved a visit to their home. We start drinking ... they pull out the snacks ... and I procede to lay waste to everything in front of me. This time I will drink less and avoid the snacks. Maybe.
  • I got a surprise today. Scale says 236. This is after a high calories high carb day. Seems I was retaining a little water. I'm not sure what this means as I'm sure I'm still primarily depleted. A little early to celebrate this new lower number but it was nice to see.

My face is thinning out quite a bit. No sign of abs, still have this mini spare around my waist. At this rate I'll be able to be a skelton for Halloween and won't need to wear a mask.
  • Weight 265, (well, with clothes on) which is only 1.8 lbs less than my weight with clothes on 2 weeks ago. This was a lame couple of weeks, I think mostly because my physical activity plummeted. I got a hefty raise at work but had to start working more hours, I'm away from my home & healthy food from 7am-6pm M-F.

http://img38.imageshack.us/i/week5t.jpg/

I think I may have to start packing lunches. Every work day I eat one of a handful of things: soup/whole wheat sandwiches from Panera, plain hamburgers and apple slices from McDonalds, vegetable omelets from the place down the street, and various white meats at Subway....these meals are varying degrees of healthy, but they are still rather hefty and with my physical activity at a baseline I am only losing fat very slowly.

Also, on the weekends it seems I always eat a very, very unhealthy dinner at least one night. For instance, last weekend I ate a full rack of ribs, french onion soup with melted cheese and potatoes one night...I could do better. Last night I ate something like four meals and drank a bit of alcohol, which I think set me back quite a bit, because Friday morning I was 262.8. I think I look a little bit better, but I am so drained of energy as of late and have no will to exercise.

I think when I get adjusted to my new schedule and the weather warms up this whole process may accelerate a little, but I suppose I DID want to take things more slowly this time around......
  • I'm not trying to be negative but I've been where you are. Working super long hours was my excuse for 8 years straight. How long will it be yours? I hate waking up early but I started waking up early so I could hit the gym 3 times a week before work + once over the weekend for 4 x a week. Which meant I had to go to bed early because your body needs sleep too.

Anyways - look on the bright side. You lost weight! Given the same circumstances the old you would have probably put on an extra 3-5 lbs.
  • I'm weighing in at 241 with recharged gylcogen stores.

The bad news is that visually I don't look very different which means my starting BF% was quite a bit higher than I suspected. Therefore it is going to take longer to get down to where I want to be.

Picture coming later...
  • Didn't get a chance to snap a photo. Today was a lifting day and I haven't gone down on a single lift. I have been able to push up my leg lifts a little which is no surprise since they are still extremely weak from my long lay off.

I was hungry all day yesterday so I went for it today. Lifting fasted helps increase insulin sensativity so I'm not too worried that I would gain much fat today dispite going well over maintience requirements. I had no problem powering down a lb of pasta + lb of turkey + + +. I could have ingested another 1,000 kcals no problem. In fact I am still hungry as I write this. Did I mention I hate dieting?

Calories 4,381
    Fat 78.9
    Carbs 649.0
    Protein 257.8
  • After over eating I wake up a lb lighter on the scale. Guess I was retaining water. 240 it is.
  • Picture time. As you can see there is barely any visual difference dispite being down over 5 lbs of fat. Unfortuantely this means I have further to go than I thought. You can see slightly more chest definition and while it is hard to tell in the picture I am visually seeing slightly more shoulder definition.

• i'm updating now because i'll be in vegas the rest of this week/weekend. The scale reads 262.6, and i took it 2 days ago after eating lunch. this morning my weight was 258.

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/week6v.jpg/

well, anyway back to the vegas thing. i can't see myself not gaining weight there. we'll be eating out and drinking constantly, and i'd rather not be terribly disciplined during my trip (haven't been on one in a while). i'm asking for an extra week to get back to sub 260. basically, if i can work the vegas trip off by sometime march 13-20, i think i should be on track for the rest of the year just fine. i always lose a lot more weight when it's warm out, and i'm looking forward to outdoor exercise.

if that's not cool, i'm sure i can still work it off the week after i get back if i work my butt off :P
  • Go and make merry. This is a marathon. If you're not back on the bandwagon upon your return then your $$$ is mine.
  • Hi guys... Denis here (live in Toronto). I was browsing the site after not being here for at least a couple of years and I was reading your posts about checking your progress as you diet. If it's OK with you, I'd like to write here as well about mine and why not, compete as well (hahahaha).

I'm a 43 yr old from latin background and my height is 5'8". I started Dr. Bernstein's diet last week (Feb. 22nd) at my heaviest (269lbs). My goal is to lose some weight by the summer time and try to get back into some of my clothes. I am also doing this for health purposes. I have had two of my family members die the past two years and that has been a wake-up call that if I don't look at my weight as a problem, I could be the next one to go.

What do you say? Am I welcome to write here? If not, I'll understand and wish you the best. Reach your goals!
  • Quote: Hi guys... Denis here (live in Toronto). I was browsing the site after not being here for at least a couple of years and I was reading your posts about checking your progress as you diet. If it's OK with you, I'd like to write here as well about mine and why not, compete as well (hahahaha).

I'm a 43 yr old from latin background and my height is 5'8". I started Dr. Bernstein's diet last week (Feb. 22nd) at my heaviest (269lbs). My goal is to lose some weight by the summer time and try to get back into some of my clothes. I am also doing this for health purposes. I have had two of my family members die the past two years and that has been a wake-up call that if I don't look at my weight as a problem, I could be the next one to go.

What do you say? Am I welcome to write here? If not, I'll understand and wish you the best. Reach your goals!
    Personally I don't have a problem with it. You can be on team captain for the North.
  • I've started running. (Well jogging) In a way it's great because I have very little knee pain while running and even less later. In another way it is sad because it is a reminder of just how poor my conditioning is. There is a substantial difference between running and the eliptical machine. You may remember the dog chewed up my heart rate monitor so I don't know what is happening other than by feel and it feels like 150-160 just by jogging a 9 minute mile. I managed an 8 minute mile which is a pace I once could sustain for many miles. In fact I used to scoff at the idea of people getting tired by simply jogging as I could jog essentially forever. Not these days though...

Still - I am thinking that perhaps my basketball days are not over afterall.