Have you ever thrown it away?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I bought some multi-grain chip things that tasted a lot like Bugles. I'm really not sure why I bought them except as a treat for my kids' lunches. I rarely buy chips. As I was dividing them into baggies I checked the nutrition label first. There were 170 calories in 11 chips! That's like 11 tortilla chips. That's a small serving. First I decided to go with just 6 chips, but 6 was pitiful. So I threw out the whole bag. They were not worth the calories.

It's hard to throw stuff away. Have you ever done it?
  • Yep. I do it a lot - I buy something, find it isn't worth the calorie hit for it and know I can't control it so out it goes. Hard, absolutely. Necessary? Also absolutely.
  • I got a big box of those 100 calorie snack packs from Sam's. Then ended up stomping on all of the bags to crush them up (so I wouldn't pull them out of the trash, I know, gross) and threw them out. They were still junk food, like 6 tiny cookies or 10 tiny sunchips, full of fat, sugar and yuck. They just made me crave bad stuff again and I didn't want to eat just 1 pack, I wanted to eat 3 or 4 at a time.
  • Yes, I have thrown stuff away more than once. Usually it is because it is calling to me so I throw it away before I give in. Sometimes I am just weak and the only way to resist something is to get rid of it.
  • Yes! I can't stand having certain things in the house because they tempt me too much. I love baking and if I have leftover things from baking (like cookies that were used in a recipe) I will (*sometimes*) toss them so I don't have to be tempted by them. But, other times I will hold onto things to see how good my willpower is to not eat them. Weird, but that's my mind sometimes!
  • Yes. It took me a long time to learn that I don't have to eat something just because I bought it. I sometimes try to give it away first, but I do toss things regularly.

It also took me a long time to realize that I don't have to watch a whole scary movie if I start watching it and am grossed out or scared. I am a slow learner about the obvious.
  • A little bit different, but I made shells and cheese for my niece and there was left over. I put in the fridge for someone else to eat but in the end I caved. I took like 6 bits, realized what I was doing and threw the rest in the trash. I just couldn't have it in the fridge without eating it.
  • When I find myself going back several times a day or when I am pms'ing I know to destroy the snacks, not just throw away but destroy lol.
  • I hate tossing out food- it makes me feel bad- I think it stems from years of my mom saying "there are starving children in Africa."

I rarely throw stuff away now- I usually give it away and there is always someone happy to take it.

I know for sure now I spend forever reading labels- it drives my hubby NUTS lol.
  • My daughter spends every other weekend with her Dad. He works at a grocery store and always gets junk on sale then sends it to my house. I will keep it for a day or two and just toss it out.
  • I don't throw food away- I live in a house with 6 other girls so if I put on the counter or in the fridge with a note that says "free!", it will get eaten. I find throwing food away to be such a waste, but if I had to choose between bingeing or tossing it out, I will toss it out. Eating beyond my needs is just as wasteful, imo.
  • I've been known to douse leftover birthday cake with water. It's hard to do, but I've never regretted it.
  • Yes. I've even bought something at the store, gotten in my car, gotten out of the car, grabbed what I bought and thrown it in the trash.
  • There was a female comic - I can't remember who (rita rudner?) who used to say she'd throw cookies in the sink and put dish detergent on them so she wouldn't eat them out of the trash. Then she'd add, but I've found that lemon Joy-flavored oreos aren't that bad.
  • I'm a give-away-er myself.. If I bake something, DH and I enjoy a piece and maybe save one piece for later, then give the rest to my neighbour who never has home-cooked treats... I also do counselling at a youth group home and those kids can pound back a TON of food LOL so everything always has a place to go!

Like over Christmas -- friends of ours own a Costco in the States, and for some reason thought it would be nice to give me 5 assorted 1.3KG bags of M&Ms!!!!!!!!!!! like WTF???? I filled a baggie to keep and the rest were inhaled in about 3 days at the shelter!!