Snowboarding!

• [There was a thread on this, but the last post was from the stone age, so I decided to make a new one instead of bringing it back from the grave. ]

I had my first lesson of eight on Wednesday, and I'm so, so sore. I'm taking it for college credit (!!) so that keeps me from quitting, and also I work at the ski area, so I have no excuse not to go.

It'll be so much more fun once I get the hang of it and am not falling on my face or butt constantly!

Anyone else trying to learn? Any pro-tips, lol?
  • Honey, the "boarding" I do in the snow involves a taxi.

I really feel way too old and too fat/clumsy to try something so cool --- but kudos to your for your sense of adventure. And it might take you a couple of lessons before it all comes together, but think how fun it would be to swoosh down the slope, twisting and turning with the best of them. And you are getting college credit besides!
    Good plan, shane!

• wrist guards, knee pads, helmet and extra bum padding.

seriously, the wrist guards and helmet. Have fun!
  • I'm kind of late on this, but wondering is their a weight limit to go snowboarding? like to get on ski lift? anyone know if it's just weird for someone bigger (ie my size 20) to go snowboarding??
  • I love snowboarding! Dont make it up to Lake Tahoe nearly enough, but still

Tips:
    - buy a helmet
    - if you can buy your own equip, here is the order of acquisition I suggest: boots, board/bindings
    - if you have to rent, dont feel bad for trying on or asking for different brands of boots...they make a BIG diff in comfort and perf based on fitting your individual foot/calf well
    - you will be infinitely better on day 3, seriously. after day 1 I thought maybe this sport just wasnt for me
    - if you learn nothing else, learn how to fall properly and how to stop so you dont hurt yourself or someone else
    - do specific *core* exercises that will ramp your skills up faster by having better tone, you can google snowboarding exercises and get some ideas
    - compression pants. my trainer told me that much like compression stockings/pants help with circulation for runners, they help snowboarders have more endurance thru better circulation or something
    And enjoy it. It is one of my fav things in the world. It feels so hard to be worried about any of life's problems when I am on top of a mountain and focused on executing linked turns thru fresh powder!

And to kisskiss - yes you can totally snowboard! Like any very active sport, the better shape you are in the easier it is, but I def boarded at 180+ lbs and have guy friends that boarded pushing 300lbs. Chair lifts are designed for a min of 2 people, so they can handle weight and you can always ask to go alone
  • Yay snowboarding!! Hubs and I recently moved back to the Bay Area from Tahoe, so right now you're making me homesick!

I snowboarded for several years before going back to skiing. Hubs is still a snowboarder. My tips-

1. Helmet! DH thought they were stupid until he took a tumble head first that ended up dislocating his collar bone, but didn't hurt his head at all (he was snowboading for work and so was forced to wear a helmet) He's been a believer ever since.
    2. Take it slow and focus on learning to carve first. It will make everything so much easier!
    3. If you're going to buy gear, do it at the end of the season, or before next season at one of the big gear swap meet type places. You'll get the best prices.
    4. Your most important gear investments are socks, gloves, and pants. Don't skimp on any of these or you'll be miserable. You don't have to buy expensive, but make sure you get good quality.
    5. Hydrate and ALWAYS wear sunscreen.

Kisskiss- Get out there and try it! I won't lie- falling can hurt, and it hurts less as you lose weight. But, it's so worth it. There are people of all sizes on the slopes and loving it. You are no where near any kind of weight limit, and, as mentioned before, you can always ask to ride alone, or 2 people to a three person chair, etc. if it makes you more comfortable. Plus, I see you're from LA area, I've heard mammoth is a great place to learn!
  • I first went snowboarding at around 190 (and then proceeded to have 2 kids and 75 lbs...). It was a blast! I would second the gear comments, it seems to make all the difference.

Have fun and let us know how you like it!!