Treating ourselves royally, behaving like royalty in 2011

You're on Page 1 of 21
Go to
  • Happy New Year!

And here we go! This thread is dedicated to the idea that if we ensure our real needs are met, we won't be trying to make up for the failure to do so through food.

This year, let's get enough rest, groom ourselves like s, eat healthily, get fresh air and exercise -- and all those other things that contribute to our joie de vivre. Let's stop pushing our feelings way, way down (a la Marge Simpson) and dedicate ourselves to living life to the fullest. No matter what!

This year, let's treat ourselves royally! Come on in and share your plan for spending and ending this year in a healthy and happy place.

Huzzah!
  • Facing the music
    Not a pretty tune, but one that must be sung. Well, it could be worse, really. I'm at my fall high point, five pounds up from my fall low point -- which was only glimpsed a couple of times. Updated my tracker, which I should have done some time ago. Starting anew, but I guess that's what we're supposed to do.

Oh I AM cranky today. It may dissipate -- not sure what caused it but it's been a moody week. If I didn't know better I'd say I was getting my period. I guess we've always got hormone issues of one kind or another. On the bright side, my hot flashes have abated a lot with a new supplement. And they really had been pretty relentless for a long time.

I took a step outside my comfort zone this week. There's a monthly social gathering with a very lovely group of women who get together the first Wednesday for single malt scotch and a natter. A couple of the members have mentioned it to me and said they'd forward me the message -- but never did. I've always been shy about such things (Mom always impressed upon us that we were never to go anywhere without an express invitation, lest we were unwelcome). Despite misgivings that they might not want me, I asked about it this week and was told I'd be very welcome. So I went! All by myself, to the home of a woman I don't know well, and was okay. I think it'll be nicer as it goes on and I become more comfortable.

Anagram, I love the idea of water tai chi! I must try it sometime. We got the tree undecked and decorations stored last week because the tree had to be out for collection the next day. I think next year I might just leave it up and take it to the depot myself, though.

Here's a link back to the last page of the old thread, because there are some posts.

S'pose I should be working... Let's make this a good one!
  • Thank you once again, Royal Arabella, for our new thread and for setting forth once again our Royal Philosophy. Your new "friendship opportunity" sounds great - just what I'm looking for, I'd say. I know I need more new friends. I have some good reliable friends for some things. But I need a little more adventure in my life - nay, not a lot - just some - and don't seem to hae the buddy I need for that. Still, I've gone to many things alone and will continue my quest.

My "travelling on the same orbit" friend, I too have had a weepy week. I do know some of the reasons for this, in my case. However, I had a really terrible "lets eat enough food to force down our feelings" night two days ago and a lot more firm self-revelation, etc. No matter how many times I do this, it seems to be needed every now and then. I feel I came out of it (though still weepy) with more layers peeled away.

AND this morning I was back at 198.8 - it is so much easier to do better when old scale is doing better. Not saying it will last but it's good to see it again.

Some of my "weepy" is just January - post Christmas let-down, snow, important dates, etc. But I had a revelatory moment today that made me feel too blessed to weep. All revolved around snow and kind neighbors and two great conversations - both totally unexpected. I don't mean I was sitting around crying - just that little things have been bringing tears to my eyes - good things, bad things, maybe some sweets will help things. But I think I will very soon be a rational human again.

I haven't made a firm decision on the water ai chi but likely will go for at least the next seven weeks (duration of class). Pluses and minuses but it IS something a little different and, as I said, I need to shake it up a bit.

Back to paying some bills - no, that's not why I was weeping - but I do have to read proposals for a radon remediation job I'm going to have done. This house is a money pit, for sure.

Nothing exciting going on here but that's okay as I need some quiet time sometimes - and some new adventures to get into as well.

• Ai chi, I see

Anagram! Sorry you've been feeling bluesy too but I have to say there is some comfort in knowing it's not just me. Sometimes there seems to be a prevalent mood that affects us sensitive folk disproportionately. I've been off and on doldrumsy since before Christmas, though. A little depressed, I guess, although not relentlessly. Trying to do what I can to fight my way out of it. I know one thing I've got to do is get out of the house more. I've been having trouble getting out to the offices and I think a change of scenery does me good. Tomorrow, for sure.

The first time, I thought it was just a typo but when you retyped the same way, I looked it up. I see -- tai chi in water = ai chi. Do you know what the significance is of the different word? I know "tai" itself is hard to translate; probably "ai" is too. In any case, the idea is intriguing to me and I may give it a try the next time I'm in a pool. It's hard to find spaces for a set of tai chi in the winter -- in summer I can do it outside.

I came across that weekly weigh-in thread and popped in to record this week. Looked back to see that, in fact, I'm up 4.2 from this time last year. Howe'er, looking for loss this week. And working for it, which is more to the point. I've gotten over 10,000 steps every day since Christmas, eating only at the table when alone and journalling food. DH and I actually meditated yesterday and I may just keep on meditating with him daily, grafting onto his capacity to stick to a routine.

Hoping all the Royals are well, wherever they roam. Love to all!
  • Well, sitting here waiting for snow again. Just a few inches expected. Not really bad for this time of year here - we have a state-fair-like Farm Show this week and the weather is notoriously bad for the show - of course, the fact that it's January always helps, I'll bet.

Arabella, I was bluesy most of the fall though not so much in Nov/Dec. Wasn't feeling right overall so don't know which came first. Have been feeling mostly better but again a tinge of wallowing persists.

Concerned re dear wsw as it looks like she'll be hit again as well. Not good for her technical difficulties, I'm sure.

So my errands are done for the day and I do have some paper projects to do but for now, I think I'll be a wee lazy first. Treating me royally, i.e.

198.6 today - my lowest so far was a one day glimpse of 195.6 - I think my Valentine's Day goal will be to at least glimpse 195. Seems like a small thing to ask but I know my track record

Hugs, Kaylets.

• Neighbors to the rescue again. I'm dug out but am still planning an "inside" day. Did one nasty piece of paperwork already today so am feeling less stressed.

Feeling good about where I stand at the moment. Can't say "progress" because I'm not sure how much I've "progressed" but feel at least that I'm making a decent effort.

Wishing all Royals a Regal day -
  • Fighting back
    I've held tenaciously to eating only at the table when I'm alone but it's like the within says "I'll show her!" I've had an unplanned afternoon snack each day, usually not a diet-friendly choice. And I'm thinking about food way too much. Nevertheless, I know that I've just got to get through this period and I'll be okay. Eating at the table just isn't the same and my inner will eventually just give up.

Still getting over 10k steps every day and have actually started meditating daily as planned. Today I resolve to actually journal my food. What happens is that I start out okay and then stop when I eat something I shouldn't.

Anyway, before this day takes hold of me, I will plan something just for fun.

Anagram, yay for good neighbours! I've got a trip coming up next week to company meetings and I think that's causing me stress. I leave here just after lunch Monday, get to the hotel 10 p.m. Have meetings all day Tuesday and party Tuesday night. Then the shuttle picks me up 7:30 Wednesday morning to go to the airport. And I get home 7 in the evening. Also puzzled as to why they have to be in January.

Oh dear Lord, I am so tedious this morning. Tempted to delete post but won't. Let's take this day and do our best with it.

Love to all!
  • kaylets-i am so sorry for your tremendous loss! i am sending you lots of hugs and warm thoughts. please take very good care of yourself, which i know, of course, is a tall order during such a rough time, but please be as sweet and gentle with yourself as possible, our dear kaylets!

anagram- hi. wow! being so far down in to onederland, and flirting with even lower numbers still---good job!
    glad your lovely neighbors have dug you out. hope bluesy times continue to lessen.

arabella-way to go with getting all your steps in and daily meditating. hope your trip next week to company meetings goes well, and is as non-stressful as possible, at least.

i have so NOT been eating daintily enough for quite some time now. sad, but true. i hadn't been feeling well-pneumonia for over a month now-and being iced in several times+ over the past month and a half have been a couple of the reasons for my recent"lapse in good judgment," (not excuses, however.) i sure do use comfort food as comfort. ah well. i have had a lot of "ms technical difficulties" for a while, which was the reason for being away from the palace for so long, or else i would have been in here to 'fess up to my plopping off the dainty portion wagon much sooner. anyway, the good news is that i am feeling more sensible (food plan-wise) once again. I'm still iced in (on day 3) of this most recent winter weather siege, but am not going to use this as an excuse to jump ship now. I have plenty of good, healthy food in the house, and am paying attention to the amounts i am now consuming. i plan to make this the norm once again, rather than the exception, as it had been for the past 6 weeks or so. i am back in the saddle again! (sigh of relief!) well, royals, i have missed you so much, and am thinking of you all, mentioned or -un. take care, all.
  • I marshalled my forces, fought and beat that Off-plan afternoon snack Picked up some popcorn to have if I need something crunchy. Will make some date candy for if I'm wanting something sweet. I've been absolutely resolute about eating only at the table, even if what I ate was off plan. It just doesn't do the trick (make me go hog wild) like eating while cocooning does. I'm GETTING to goal this year!

WSW, I've adjusted my attitude about the trip and intend to see if I can't enjoy it. I'm always amazed by how much difference it makes to change the way I look at something.

No wonder you haven't been able to maintain the dainty portions -- it's hard enough when we're at full strength. Hope you're feeling better!

Kaylets, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anagram

Let's take this day that we've been given and make it work for us!

• Messy weather day but got lots of yukky stuff done. Good weigh in this a.m. Under the 200 mark several days in a row. Yay! Oops, now I'll be up tomorrow.

Rally on, Royals.
  • drat and double drat - I was four or five days into my "first week all under 200" and then I ate out yesterday. Put on five pounds since two days ago. Now I KNOW some or all of it will go but I was so thrilled to think I might get a whole week under my belt. Well, back to day one again.

Saw "The King's Speech" yesterday - good, good movie. Except for the two minute tirade of crude speech put in to placate those who wouldn't think they got their money's worth if there weren't four letter words somewhere. True, some of it was in the context of the movie. But after the point was made, it was continued to the extent it slowed the story rather than enhanced it and somehow no longer ran true. Still, I'd heartily recommend it.

Snowing again. Not to get much but .... well, I guess I should be grateful for that. Fifty years ago, we got 24 inches on this date. I only remember because our car got stuck in a snow bank, couldn't get a cab, buses weren't running, and my boss accused me of staying home just so I could watch JFKs inauguration on TV - funny memory now.

Tried out another water class today. More what I need, I think, but I'm still not convinced. Must research a couple of other things/places. Still I feel better for it.

Oooh, and today I got a $20 gift certificate to a place where I once had some massages. It's good for any of their services but I've been getting the urge for a massage and $20 IS incentive. There's a new owner who's trying to get old customers to come back. The price list seems lower, too, than when I last went there more than a couple of years back.

s

• Home again, home again
    A flight delay and a missed connection meant that I ended up spending an extra day on the way home. The airline covered my expenses, mostly. I was okay with it -- my only regret was that I didn't pack a swimsuit, since the hotel had sauna, pool and whirlpool. That's one of my favorite ways to spend an hour or so, alternating between them.

I'll just have to start taking advantage of the pool/sauna at the hotel near here. I think it's only about $5 -- come to think of it, I've got a pedi gift cert. for the spa there, so maybe I could make it a real excursion... Shall formulate plan.

I behaved pretty well on my trip. Managed my 10k steps a day, was careful with food. I did treat myself to a small package of Godiva chocolates but no other splurges. Nevertheless, I'm not going to weigh in for a few days because flying always seems to add a few temporary pounds.

The grocery store had tulips on for $3/5 last week. If they're still on this week, I'm going to get a mix of colors and make a big bouquet. Well, I'll probably limit myself to three colors but it'll still be swell... pink, yellow, orange maybe.

Anagram, I have to start getting massages. I hate to say it, but the reason I haven't been getting them is being self-conscious. I can have a monthly one on D's health plan. So I resolve to just go get my Dr's referral and then make an appointment. Ditto for acupuncture, which SIL says makes her feel fabulous.

Soon you'll be well into Onederland and the border will be too far to get back to.

All right -- I should be working, I guess. Let's take this day we've been given and make it work for us. Love to all!

• Welcome back, Arabella. Maybe the delay was not all for the worst as it gave you some time to just be with you. Good company.

Oh yes, take advntage of the pools and massages when you can. Both make me feel so good though the last massage was a long time ago. I'm thinking early February. Hey, selfconscious hon, don't tell me they've never seen worse - or maybe you just don't like "nekkid (or close)". Hanging out in pool locker rooms has rid me of that - there's even a lot worse than me

Speaking of, I found there is a "community" program where I was taking the ai chi/other class. For $35 a month I have lots of time choices. My insurance would pay for the Y so I'm going to check out both this week and be into something for the month of February.

It's taken me two days to get under 200 again and my only solace is that a few months ago, it would have been higher and that at least I AM back under 200 (barely).

It is so cold here today that I have declared myself housebound. Going to piddle here and there and work some more on getting tax data together. I have made a decision on the radon remediation and will get on to scheduling that next week too. Clearned out two long-forgotten drawers the other day too. Little steps.

wsw, thinking of you and hugging you to make the weather stresses leave your body sooner.

Kaylets, thinking of you today as well - another major day if I'm remembering properaly.

Royal Resolutions - Onward and Downward.
  • Saturday
    And I am glad. I've got to do some work, anyway, because I have something due Monday that's pretty taxing and I'll be a lot happier to have it done than to be frantic when the day dawns.

Cold here, really cold :brrr: but The wind is so whistly that it makes me feel colder even thinking about going outside. I've done my and but I still need to get about 4000 more steps. I believe I'll take myself out for a tour of the thrift shops, parking far enough away to get steps in but with warming breaks in between. And -- who knows! -- I could actually find something "new."

We're having dinner at our best friend couple's tonight. She always cooks light, so it should be fine. Invariably there are potato chips beforehand but I can avoid those, can't I?

Anagram, nope, no issues with nekkid or close. I'm touchable, although only under the right circs, of course and I love being nekkid as long as it's warm and there's no one around. It IS nice to be home.

WSW, Kaylets

Have a lovely weekend, Queenlies!

• Well, A, I am having a COLD weekend. Did not leave the house yesterday and only to church this a.m. Brrrrrrr. Got a LOT done though - when you stay home, that can happen, I guess. Most of the progresss was getting stuff together for the Tax Man. Don't have it all yet but what I have is in fairly good shape so far.

Also found some things I've been looking for for a while. Had sort of a treasure hunt yesterday when I had the time.

Did you find anything in the thrifts yesterday? I actually have several within a mile or two - big ones - and some consignments too. Sometimes good shopping, sometimes not. Not nice that they expect you to be away and get projects done as well.

Second day back in the onesies. Doctor's appt. Wednesday and I'd like to be there on his scale too so must be very vigilant and still doubt I'll make it because I'm not nekkid on his scale

Listening to Celtic Woman on PBS - sure like their kind of music.

Must see if I can get my printer to work. It decided to go on sabbatical yesterday and I'm so NOT mechanical/technical.

Fresh Start Monday coming up.