Love affair... with collard greens!

• what a nutritional powerhouse!
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2411/2

Collards are a traditional new year's food. WF had them on sale this week so I bought 4 bunches and cooked up a GIANT pot of them! They don't cook down much, unlike other greens, so I have a HUGE bowl of them in my fridge ready to reheat or add to soup, stew, whatever. They are so filling, meaty and delicious- no, I don't cook them with a hamhock, but I cooked some beans in the "pot liquor" and they smell as if i did! (sometimes i throw a lapsang souchong teabag into a pot of beans for a smoky flavor).

I just chop them up and boil them in water with a glug of vinegar- add whatever seasonings later when i reheat them. My passion this week is a "stew" of collards, beans and sweet potatoes.

I tend to eat kale or broccoli raab several times a week. Collards will now be in the regular rotation.

Even my dogs love collard greens.
  • Interesting. I have never cooked them. I love, love, love collard greens. I actually made some last night but I simply boil mine and eat them with a sqeeze of lemon juice. My kids like a little olive oil and lemon on theirs.
    I am a vegetarian so I will look up some recipes, well worth it I'm sure!
  • Collard greens are wonderful! Love them so much, I could eat a bowl of nothing else and be satisfied.

I do cook them with meat, usually a couple of pieces of bacon and one piece of salt pork, but sometimes with a smoked turkey neck the way I ate them when I was little. Calorie-wise, the meat isn't too much of a load--but I love the suggestion to use lapsang souchong tea for vegans who want the smoky taste. That's brilliant!