Patience

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: I've decided to commit to staying on plan, rather than losing a certain amount of weight by a certain time period as I normally would. I've decided to start out small: start a healthier lifestyle for 30 days. Which for me means, for now, eating smaller portions, chosing healthier foods, counting calories, logging my food (for now!) and doing some form of exercise everyday. If I can simplify like that and stick to it for even a week then I will be making massive progress. I'm going to make permanent changes to my lifestyle, the only truly diet related thinking will be the calorie counting/documenting.
    Excellent! And I know you will find at the end of whatever timeline you put on your commitment you will find that 1) it wasn't that bad and 2) you wouldn't trade in whatever pounds you've lost for anything! Like Delta, often times we really do lose at a healthy rate, just not necessarily in a linear manner. I hate the recommended advice to lose "1-2 pounds per week". I much prefer to think in terms of 4-8 pounds per month. Same thing...but more like we actually lose it. Many of us tend to lose big a few weeks and stall a few weeks. I personally lose big one week and stall for three! It took me a long time to realize that which is why the year long commitment was so vital for me.

And this past November for my anniversary...I committed to a whole new year.
  • I know it's probably not good forum etiquette to drag up a week old thread, but I just wanted to give a quick update and thank everyone who encouraged me in my current effort.

I've been on plan for a full week (today is day 8) and I'm happy to report that it looks like I lost 4 pounds this first week! Now I'm sure a lot of that is water weight, and no, my calories were in no way perfect, but I kept up with logging in here and logging everything I ate, and that's a start!

To another week of patience! Thanks, everyone!
  • I'm glad this thread was dragged up again, since I feel like I could have written the original post. It's my story exactly. I'm a week into yet another attempt to lose weight and I'm worried that my motivation will wane. That said, I am taking small steps this time. No more perfectionism for me--it's just not practical in the long run. Like many of you have said, this cannot always been the number one priority in life. (And who would want it to be, anyway? There's so much going on in the world besides the numbers on a scale.)
  • Eurydice, I couldn't have said it better myself. There is so so much else going on in the world, let alone our own lives. Perfectionism is far from perfect. Let's make this a focus, not the focus. We can do it.