Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2011 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 5 of 26
Go to
  • Hi coaches! Sorry I haven't been around. I've been managing to read posts, but my internet has been very sporadic...and frustrating. I have so much work to finish up and need my connection. I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday and we'll see if it's better today. Beck skills...B+ , exercise D-. I need to work on both. I stayed up half the night getting yesterday's work done and I'm headed out early to work on my picture project. I have to start doing company books soon and I need to persist and see my personal project to completion. For me, personal organization has a lot to do with food sanity.

BillBlueEyes, I was really happy that I read posts before leaving for town. I searched out blueberries and they were BOGO FREE! I got one for my Mom...but she ought to get over here soon. They ARE on sale all week. This weeks' smoothie-Blueberry and Spinach! Credit* for willingness to get those Anti-Oxidents into your system.

Beverlyjoy, it's great to hear you have returned to your meditations. *credit* . I thought of you at lunch when I actually left a bite. Good for you-finding willingness to maneuver your food around a thrown out of whack schedule.

gardenerjoy, I hope you enjoyed your lunch and that you were able to bring some home. PS I'm interested to hear if DH misses the meat.

Ruth, I always feel your presence! Big *credit* finding 30 minutes to read Beck everyday!

Ann(Newlifestyle), *credit* for being creative, after reading gardenerjoys post, and not ordering out for dinner.

Shepherdess, you hit my nail on the head, "I tend to thing that food fixes any kind of discomfort." I can't remember what right now, but the other day I had the "dumbest" discomfort that I was sure that food would fi. *credit* for your resolve to not overeat, anyway.

Cindy(M0vingon), *credit* for following Dr. Becks directions and not restricting your diet yet. Good news to be losing weight anyway! "Hi, still here" always works.

CeeJay, give yourself *credit* for the 6 days OP and move on! Now BBE suggested the pasta as a trigger...I was thinking the cakefi
    This IS the year! Find a way (card) to remember that salty and gross just feels horrible.

maryblu

BlueDaisy, after dinner is my hardest time, too. I figured out part of it is being tired, so my dieting friend and I are going to bed earlier. I rise earlier, too, but am not a food maniac in the am. I am like you, focused on another project. I am finding that picking up my book in the morning for just one page even helps.

Cheryl(seadwaters), glad to hear you are thinking of agua again. *credit* Great list of credits-hope your cold is a bit of history quite soon. Your blueberry ice cream sounds great! I may freeze some BB's right now.

onebyone, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I'm interested in hearing more about the cabin. *credit* for popping in that dvd. I am watp this winter while it's so cold. Until I got into my latest whirlwind I was trying for at least a mile a day. It's great because it's easy!

yeseyecan, it's great that you've decided to post on the boards. Invisible doesn't make anything better, I've found.

BelovedK, I hope you are regaining some energy! *credit* for getting yourself back here.

maryann, *credit* for checking in when you could find internet. I visualized the Starbucks in S. Tahoe. That's the only one I went to.

NatureGirl, I hope you have recovered from your awful experience (pipes not snacks)

FutureFitChick, Hope skiing was fun.

yesyoucan, I'm wondering if you have found some Eat to Live folks out there.

Woodland I came across your salsa recipe yesterday….now all I need is summer.lol

*credit* for walking while watching Law and Order AND unpacking 100% healthy groceries.

Thanks, everyone, for being here for each other.
  • Hello everyone:

BillBlueEyes-I love blueberries too. I try to eat them every morning mixed into plain yogurt. Fantastic morning snack that keeps me going to lunch. Love cheese fondue too but not this year.

M0vingon-doesn't it feel great to be in control? You are off to a flying start and congratulations on your weight loss.

Shepherdess-kuddos for a good day!!

Newlifestyle-we are all together on the skinny trip.

Ruthxxx-kuddos for reading Beck, for going to the gym and for your great attitude.

gardenerjoy-hope you enjoyed lunch out and that you were able to find healthy food.

Beverlyjoy- most excellent progress!!! Nice list of credits. I need to get back to more regular meditation this month. Sure made me feel better last month.

Lexxiss- new card- "Salty and Gross = Feel Horrible"

For me- I am very happy to report that I did not let yesterday's blow up turn into days of off plan eating and general torment. I was able to just repeatedly tell myself today that the only thing that yesterday's struggle could do today was to derail me further.

Credit for:

weighing in
    riding exercise bike 30 minutes
    eating healthy and on plan
    resisting any number of snacking opportunities at work
    no sugar
    reading response and advantage cards
    planning tomorrow

• Hello everyone! Yup I'm still here!

I had a horrible night of insomnia last night and ended up with a migraine and stayed home from work. Being seriously exhausted and feeling sorry for myself brought on the urge to eat pretty much every 30 minutes or so, but I continued to exercise the new skills and stuck to my planned eating with the exception of swapping my evening snack to supper time and vice versa. The bottom line is that I was still in control. Yup, I'm feeling good about that!

I'm so tired I can barely see the screen, but I posted- so for that too.
  • Thursdays progress
    Hi Coaches
    I am still coughing and spluttering and sleeping a lot. Yesterday took myself to shops and had an unplanned and unhealthy lunch - but not too excessive. The only reason I am not eating large meals and stopping when full is not because I am on plan but because it is making me ill to keep going! So eating light is the plan for the moment. I didn’t exercise yesterday or today (yet). I think I need to make myself do something light

BeverlyJoy - Yay that things are going to plan
    BillBlueEyes - I wonder what good blueberries taste like - I don’t think ours are as good somehow from all reports - not cold enough?
    Blue Daisy - Yay for posting - a good start
    CeeJay - you are doing so well - credit for getting straight back on track
    FutureFitChick -
    GardenerJoy - Hope lunch went well
    Debbie R(Lexxiss) - Ouch for Internet problems - hope you get organised soon
    Cindy (MovingOn) - Ouch for insomnia and a bad night and big Yay for staying in control
    Ann (Newlifestyle) - By all means use my way of ticking off credits - whatever works for you. I often borrow other people’s methods
    Ruthxxx - Lurk away and credit for posting
    Shepherdess - Cold weather does trigger hunger for sure so credit for staying on plan

Credits
    - Stayed within my food plan - not yesterday
    - Measured all my food - at home yes
    - Logged food - not the best
    - Developed food plan for today- yes
    - Sat down to eat - yes
    - Ate mindfully and enjoyed every bite - no
    - Recognised hunger / desire / craving - hungry a lot but not sure if it is just desire
    - I stopped eating when satisfied - yes
    - Drank water - yes
    - Checked in - yes
    - Weighed myself - yes
    - Read advantage cards - yes
    - Read response cards - yes
    - Read Beck - yes
    - Did planned exercise - no
    - Incidental exercise - no

Have a great day
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating OP; CREDIT moi. Dinner included collard greens, which we don't have very often. Just love their bite.

Not much exercise, except a chance to walk up to the seventh floor and back at work.

CeeJay - Yay for another no sugar day without being derailed by yesterday.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good miso soup is so yummy; hope your plumbing forgives you for the occasional indulgence.

Shepherdess - Wish I understood why this is so common, "I tend to think that food fixes any kind of discomfort." Kudos for not believing it.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Yep, reporting is more important than personals - and it's useful to have some folks not doing personals to show new people that it's OK to post without that. I wish I could solve my issue of absolutely finishing my plate. Every day. Every meal.

Beverlyjoy - Hope you keep posting, "Left a bite" for those of us who never do. Kudos for your consistency in that.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - A barking cough is one tough way to eat less, but I'm glad it's working for you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Ouch for 2 hours on the phone - that would be the 9th level of **** for me. [Need translation help with "BOGO FREE!"]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Hope all is going well with you. [Alas, I'm the wrong person to ask for ideas on how to avoid 3FC addiction, LOL. I've heard that there's a 12 step program, 3FCanon, but I don't need it because I can stop at any time.]

Cindy (M0vingon) - Best news ever, "a sense that I have control over my eating" - you're on you way with that. Ouch for the physical stuff that had you fighting hunger every 30 minutes.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 1
    Begin a New Way of Life

That's what The Complete Beck Diet for Life does for you - it gives you your life back in so many ways:
    • It frees you from guilt, worry, self-consciousness, and self-blame.
    • It frees you from your fear of hunger and your fear of losing control.
    • It frees you from overwhelming temptation and emotional eating.
    • It frees you from feelings of deprivation, unfairness, and discouragement.
    • It frees you from obsession about your food choices, weight, and appearance.

the complete Beck diet for life, pg 13.
  • Bill, "BOGO FREE!" means buy one, get one free.

Well, I applied Beck principles for my dinner party last night and planned what I would eat. Now I am dealing with a lot of leftover ham that is tempting me to make ham sandwiches! Luckily (?) I have to make sammies for a funeral 'lunch" tomorrow and the bone will be great in pea soup. I threw out all the other leftovers. Credit.

I was not going to weigh this morning because of the ham but remembered Beck and did. Credit. Yes, I'm up from the salt but know it will go away.

Still plugging away at the book with lots of re-reading and review.
  • Hello Beck folks - yesterday was a healthy day - am very grateful for that! I had many credits. I am kind of getting back into the swing of Beck tasks.
    Some credits:
    Planned/logged
    Lots of water
    Stretches and strengthening
    Meditation
    No seconds
    Left a bite
    Ate seated only
    Arc/rc
    Slowed down a bit
    Worked on tasting
    Wrote it all down in my journal
    Said No Choice/and Red Light - can’t remember what, though

Working on - reading beck, fork down between bites, and more

I made a pot of healthy mushroom soup this morning for the next couple of days. It’s been cold and it’s something different.

I got an email from my friends (in their sixties) who are coming home from the Peace Corp in Africa. They had a real adventure. However, they could not get a grasp of the language well enough to teach - so they decided to leave. (after 3 ˝ months) I know they will have many stories!

Ruth - well done getting through the dinner healthfully. I, too, will throw away extras/leftover that I don’t need or want. Better in the trash than me. Hmm. - love pea soup.

Billbe - I’ve never had collard greens. Do you all prepare them a special way? I know they are very nutritious. Stairs are good exercise.

Seadwaters - darn cold…hanging on like that. Drink lots of water. Sorry to hear it’s not feeling well and is the reason for eating less (even off plan stuff). That’s not the way we’d like it. However, you eating lite sounds like the perfect approach. Take care now.

Moving-on - sorry to hear of your migraine. Major credit for staying on plan after a migraine!! Well done. Hope you are feeling fine now.

Ceejay - major credit for ‘drawing that line in the sand.’ (as Dr. Beck says) and not letting an off food day continue. Many other good credits, too. Yay for no sugar.

Lexxiss/Debbie - sounds like your work and life is hectic.. Combined with an ornery commuter - very challenging. Good job walking while watching TV!

Have a great day, folks.
  • Off to the volunteer job! Food and exercise planned.

WI: NAkg, Exercise: +45* 220/1300 minutes for January, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Thursday morning
    Hi Coaches

credits for posting today (how did I miss yesterday?? I think I wrote a post and just didn't post it.)
    for weighing in: 279.4
    for planned exercise yesterday:watp 1 mile
    for unplanned exercise yesterday:walking/shopping
    for cooking from scratch
    for eating up some of that fish in a recipe that wasn't all that
    for having leftovers to make soup today (cooked lentils) and to have for lunch and dinner => + more fish
    for doing my planned exercise today:watp miles

This morning I started working on a silkscreen to make my Year of the Rabbit prints for the annual Chinese New year print exchange. If I give them 5 prints, I get 4 prints back from other printmakers around the world. I've done this 3 or 4 years in a row now. My favorite exchange so far has been Year of the Rat. Anyway, the prints are due tomorrow. I have my paper to print on (off-white handmade Tibetan paper embedded with dried flower petals,mostly blues and purples) and now I have my design drawn directly onto my screen with a special drawing fluid. the screen is drying in front of the fan. Next I have to coat my screen with a clay coloured screen filler and then once it's dry I wash it out under the shower and the drawing fluid I used gets washed away leaving the screen mesh open and the rest covered by the filler. This means when I push the ink over the surface of the screen it will ONLY go through the open areas where I drew with the drawing fluid. neat eh? Lets hope my design works.

Also on the agenda is to get started on the packing! I still have not done any more work in this place except the kitchen table and floor. I do have some dishes in the dishwasher so I'll take a credit for that even though it's embarrassing to take a credit for that. But at this point my progress is so slow I'd better get some encouragement somehow.

I heard from the landlord of the cottage-y house that's for rent. He told me "It'd be great to see some art happening here." Isn't that great? And he also offered his basement for storage (sounds like he lives next door or nearby - this may be the first bad thing about the place!) as I suspected the place for rent doesn't have a basement, BUT he said it has a huge attic and he said it has huge sideyards and I could put up a shed if I needed to. He also mentioned that he would rather rent to tenants who would enjoy the place. I've convinced him we would. Now to just SEE it! Ugh.

Have a good day today.
  • Hello everyone. I hope you are all having a great day and accomplishing all you desire to. I know for me onebyone has been my motivation to de clutter my house and I thank you for that because it sure is working. One room at a time. I am not done one room but I got rid of 4 bags of stuff to good will yesterday and that is a start.
    I went for a walk and my son wanted to have a kid's meal at McDonald's. I ordered him a kids meal and ate my tangerine I had in my back pack for unexpected hunger and drank my water. My husband was worried they would kick us out of McDonalds. I didn't much care. Credit me for not eating that food and also getting a walk in. I will keep this short as my timer is about to go off and I have a computer time limit for myself.
    Have a great day, waving hello to everyone and wishing you success.
    Ann
  • Coaches/Buddies, I’ve been avoiding posting! I think when I get behind I have trouble not being compulsive and responding to every single post I’ve missed. In order to prevent this in the future, I’m committing to responding to posts just from the last day. If I can do more, great, but this is a dumb reason to not be keeping up with my commitment to you!

I was really disappointed coming home from skiing. I watched my food pretty well, with the exception of one dessert. But, Tuesday when I weighed myself I was up 5 pounds. I was heartbroken!! Today I’m back down two pounds (so net gain 3 pounds) and have been in a real funk as a result. It doesn’t help that my appetite has been increased the last several days. I finish eating and 20 minutes later I am hungry enough for an entire meal. Ugh! I haven’t been indulging in response though.

Today’s Essentials:
    Weigh-in: -2 lbs.
    Read Advantage Cards two times: yes
    Read Response Cards at least two times: yes
    Ate slowly, sitting down, noticing every bite: not during one of my snacks today
    Gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful eating behaviors: somewhat
    Did spontaneous exercise: yes
    Did planned exercise: not yet today, but yes for all the other days since my last post
    Wrote out food plan for tomorrow: yes, but I need to specify my snacks
    Tracked today’s food: yes
    Left food on my plate: no
    Ate only to normal fullness: yes
    Identified and responded to a self-deluding thought:

BelovedK, hope you are doing great! Keep the commitment alive! I am glad you are feeling comfortable with your two eating plans.

BeverlyJoy, sorry to hear your December was so rough. I hope you are feeling better now. It does take a while to get over that self-induced trauma once you’ve learned a different way to live. Hope everything went well with the eye exam. Yesterday’s activities, though not your original plan, sound terrific with your preparation of healthy foods. I am very interested to hear the Peace Corp will take people that aren’t in their 20’s. That is really useful information for me! Thanks. Great job with the healthy soup.

BillBlueEyes, great job for getting rid of more clutter on Sunday and conquering the snickerdoodles on Monday. Yay for blueberries!

BlueDaisy, I am sending happy on-plan thoughts for you!

CeeJay, great job on six days on Sunday! Sorry to hear about the cake and the dip. Is there something bothering you besides your eating? So glad you got right back on plan!!

GardenerJoy, great job Monday staying on plan. I’m so impressed by your minutes of exercise goal per month and realize I’m a little intimidated to try and track my exercise that way. Hmm… something for me to think about.

Lexxiss, ouch for a rough day on Monday. Cheering you on in the Organization Olympics!

maryann, I really appreciated your frankness about exercise leading to wanting to eat off plan.

M0vinon, I’m really inspired by your encouragement from Beck. Sorry to hear about your headache and insomnia. I’m sharing that with you right now… Great job for posting in spite of feeling terrible.

Naturegirl, sorry to hear about your rough homecoming.

Newlifestyle, great idea with the timer and posting. I get lost in time with posting/reading here too. “Skinny trip” would have been a nicer outcome that what I got!

Onebyone, sorry your mom and the move are so stressful. Good job walking with your dvd.

Ruthxxx, hi there! Great job with your commitment to reading Beck at lunch. Terrific ham handling as well.

Seadwaters, great job being active on Monday! Hope your cold is going away.

Shepherdess, great job revising the pistachio tainted plan on Monday. I loved your frankness about not being able to make rational food choices right now. That is really powerful.

Yeseyekan, great job getting started with Beck.
  • Friday Morning
    Hi Coaches

I might be improving a little - woke up at 2.30 and read for 45 minutes because having problems breathing and coughing but then got back to sleep. A better result than other nights. I tried a mindful eating exercise this morning. I am having trouble slowing down, enjoying every bite and knowing when I am full. I set a place at the table and had my breakfast there. I put down my cutlery between bites, chewed (a lot!), and took a deep breath before I picked up the fork again. Not sure I was truly mindful but it did slow me down. Until I retrain myself I will not eat in front of the TV or with a book or at my desk for one meal a day to begin with. I really hate eating at the table by myself but think I have to persist.
    ETA
    I like this from Thich Nhat Hanh: "
    There are some people who eat an orange but don't really eat it. They eat their sorrow, fear, anger, past, and future. They are not really present, with body and mind united."

Credits
    - Stayed within my food plan - yes
    - Measured all my food - mostly
    - Logged food - no
    - Developed food plan for today- yes
    - Sat down to eat - yes
    - Ate mindfully and enjoyed every bite - tried this morning
    - Recognised hunger / desire / craving - yes
    - I stopped eating when satisfied - finished food and want more
    - Drank water - yes
    - Checked in - yes
    - Weighed myself - yes
    - Read advantage cards - no
    - Read response cards - no
    - Read Beck - no
    - Did planned exercise - no
    - Incidental exercise - no

Have a great day
  • *laffin, Newlifestyle about not caring if you get kicked outta McDonald's! As the saying goes, "I've been kicked outta better places!"

Onebyone, seriously, I am so excited for the thought of you in a cottage....
    can't wait to hear about it.

BillBE, I suspect Collard Greens do have a *kick. Never tried them. I am munching on Kale chips; they last a while and even DS will eat them.

Hope this isn't food porn, but I roasted a real, organically grown chicken tonight. One without antibiotics and saline solution injected. OMG, TDF. Tasted like the old days eating real chickens on the farm. *sigh. I was surprised at how little juice came out in the roaster, but of course there was no 15% saline solution flowing out.

Best to all my Beckmates.
  • I had a fairly physical day which started as we cleaned out DD's room and hauled boxes to the basement. Then off on an outing to the dump hauling all my Moms cr*p. *credit* for resisting the 2 sugar laden "health" bars that she gave me. I was having really strong emotions about always having to haul everyone elses cr*ap...definite feelings of unfairness...Took a long nap after lunch and woke feeling refreshed. No plan for dinner, fortunately my SBD forum emphasizes having home cooked freezer meals so dinner was OP.

BillBlueEyes, *credit* for those 7 flights of stairs which reminds me, I need to hike to the top of our State capitol again. BOGO (Buy One Get One) FREE!

CeeJay, *credit* for using Dr. Beck's instruction and getting right back on track with your eating...and exercising, too.

Cindy(M0vingon), …"seriously exhausted and feelig sorry for myself…" is like the petri dish for unplanned eating. *credit* for using your Beck skills to get through it.

Cheryl(seadwaters), many credits and glad to hear that you're feeling better. When I practice my Beck skills, I do allow myself to read an article or excerpt from a book which has to do with improving my health. I only read when I set my fork down. Thanks for the ETA...quite a powerful quote.

onebyone, great credits yesterday! You reminded me to get my watp in. My fav is Year of the Dog! What a great exchange!

gardenerjoy, great to have everything planned before heading out the door.

Beverlyjoy, great credits! I like, "kind of getting back into the swing of Beck tasks." That's where we want to be!

Ruth, yay for applying Beck principles to your dinner party. It really helps for special events. I have a hard time pitching stuff, but know myself oh too well.

maryblu, yay for organically grown chicken. The only kind we buy...Do you make your kale chips or can you buy them?

FutureFitChick, thanks for posting. I think it's a really good idea to come up with a plan so that you don't avoid posting. *credit* for not responding to a difficult scale reading with food. It kinda defeats the purpose.lol

Newlifestyle, *credit* for getting your walk in and having a healthy option at McDonalds.
  • Hi everyone.
    Very tired today and still struggling with headaches. I'm starting to wonder if the headaches aren't related to sugar withdrawal. Since I've started Beck I've had balanced, healthy meals planned and 1 small piece of chocolate every day. The natural decrease in snacking has also led to a significant decrease in sugar.
    I had a good day today, stayed on plan, didn't really have any desire to eat any of the leftover cookies and chocolate at work. When the thought did cross my mind I just dismissed it. That's very new for me!
    I am 1/2 lb from my 5 lb goal. Planning on buying a charm for my bracelet as a reward. I like the idea of something I can use as a touchstone when I'm feeling challenged. I'm really just sailing along still today.
    I have yet to plan my meals for tomorrow, will do that when done on computer. Looking forward to a restful sleep tonight (fingers crossed).