Spyware removal tips!!!

• If you know a -safe- way for other people to remove those nasty icks the internet likes to put on their computer, post it here!

These are the ones I know the best because I've used them before and I -highly- recommend them...

TrendMicro's HouseCall

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's a free online scan that checks every spot on your hard drive and can catch things other programs might miss.

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The free download works just as well as the version you pay for... If you use this one, I suggest updating it before you run the scan, as they update the definitions database regularly. I use MalwareBytes on a regular basis, once a month is good enough for me, and it scans every drive on your computer. Even if you have an external hard drive hooked up to your USB port, you can scan it!

I strongly advise AGAINST using Norton 360 as it does NOT catch everything and actually bloats your computer! Norton is a system hog and steals most of, if not ALL, your available resources, just to run in the background! You don't need something like that.

I myself use Kaspersky Internet Security along with MalwareBytes, CleanUp and Mozilla Firefox. (You can also use Google Chrome if you want... It's a good browser if you don't like Firefox.)
  • hey thanks so much I used one of these on my computer. Thanks so much !!!
  • I'll have to try the first one on my bosses comp (he's 79 years old, I was his wife's caregiver for years) he doesn't know how to do more than search and surf ebay, but we've got some nasty virus I can't fix. SpySweeper, SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes came up with nothing. AVG is the only one I have left to try

We're getting search redirects, random windows opening, pop-ups claiming that we're infected, etc. I keep telling my boss NOT to click these things, but he keeps thinking he's 'helping' :K
  • Quote: I'll have to try the first one on my bosses comp (he's 79 years old, I was his wife's caregiver for years) he doesn't know how to do more than search and surf ebay, but we've got some nasty virus I can't fix. SpySweeper, SuperAntiSpyware, and MalwareBytes came up with nothing. AVG is the only one I have left to try

We're getting search redirects, random windows opening, pop-ups claiming that we're infected, etc. I keep telling my boss NOT to click these things, but he keeps thinking he's 'helping' :K
    Download CCleaner and run that first to clean up the C drive. If it won't let you download, reboot into safe mode and then download CCleaner. Then run SuperAntiSpyware. Reboot in normal mode.

That's always helped me fix nasty viruses!
  • Thanks for your help, I finally got it working again with Hitman Pro. Ran AVG for 5 hours and came back with nothing, then downloaded Hitman Pro and it found the problem in 12 minutes :P It ended up being a TDL3 Rootkit :K