Pre/Post workout snacks

• I am currently going to the gym everyday after working I am looking for ideas using whole foods (no shakes or packaged foods) that I can bring with me to work and to the gym.

I need to be able to pack these foods in the morning and they need to travel well so little to no refridgeration required. I am currently a little stuck for ideas. I end up buying things on the way to the gym but I find that these are not always the best options. So what do you eat before and after your work out? How to you travel with food during a commute. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • With the cold and flu season upon us I have started drinking a small (juice size glass-about 6 oz.) of 100% orange juice (I try to buy the kind w/ added calcium and vitamin D) after exercising. It isn't very filling but later in the morning I have a bowl of home made oatmeal.
  • How long would your items be without refrigeration? Could you store them in the fridge at work, keeping them cool for all but your commute times?

Fruit is a natural for traveling well; most are already in an ideal serving size and self-contained. Citrus fruits might be a bit of a pain to peel and eat, but apples, pears, and fruits with pits all travel fairly well and leave no rinds to dispose of.

If you have access to a fridge throughout much of your day, pre-cut raw vegetables are another good choice. Carrots and other sliced vegetables can get a little dessicated throughout the day if not refrigerated, but if you can stick them in the office fridge, you're golden.

Sticks of string cheese keep and travel well. Because of their hardy packaging, they don't "sweat" the way other unrefrigerated cheeses might.

If your plan allows them, nuts are another really travel-friendly option. They're pretty calorie-dense, but eating just a small handful is often enough to stave off hunger and leave you feeling satiated with your snack.

Dried stuff is designed to last for weeks or months. Jerky and dried fruits will keep forever. The one danger involved with them is that it's easy to forget how dense they are; each thin little apple chip packs the same caloric punch as a wedge of a fresh apple, so watch your portions if you don't want to wind up eating five apples as a snack.

Hope these suggestions help.
  • From the time I leave work until I am done my work out and shower (for post work out food) the food will have been without refrigeration for about 3 hours. For anything like milk, eggs etc that is a very long time to be without cold. I am supposed to have something high in protein after I work out and I am currently at a loss on this one. I tend to go for a protein bar but I hate doing it I feel like everything I eat should be providing me with nutrient dense calories and protein bars just don't make the cut.
  • I always just eat an orange before exercising, and then go home and make dinner so I don't need a post-workout snack. You can certainly carry around an orange, a banana, or some other piece of fruit without worrying about refrigeration. I see though that you want some protein.

Cheese is probably fine without refrigeration for 3 hours as well, especially if you wrap it up well or pack it in an insulated bag. I even think yogurt or a boiled egg would be fine in that amount of time, if properly wrapped. A measured portion of nuts might work too.
  • Usually something small and quick is good.

I agree with taking an apple or even a banana.
    Nuts and eggs are a good choice too. Both have a good amount of protien to help your muscles recover after working out. You can eat a boiled egg or two (keep in a small tupper-wear container), or cook some eggs when you get home.
    The string cheese idea is good too.
    And I would highly suggest drinking some vitamin water or juice to give you energy and help fill your tummy.
    (And try to stay away from the high sugar "health" energy drinks - double check the nurtrtion info on the back).

Have fun and good luck.
  • Today I am trying out an apple and babybel cheese for pre-workout and an apply with greek yogurt for post workout. If I burn more than I expected I have a protien bar just in case I find I am ravenous after the gym.
  • My favorite is banana with a nut butter.

I also like to pack a small lunch box with an ice pack for a yogurt or hard boiled egg.