Ugh! Carb Cravings

• I don't know exactly what's going on with my body lately, but I am really craving carbs...bad, to the point that it makes me crazy. It's been going on for a few weeks and I know it isn't PMS. About a month ago, I started running. Maybe that's the cause. Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix it or deal with it?
  • Do you know roughly about how many carbs you're getting? I cut out pasta and corn, but I still occasionally eat bread and potatoes. Instead of having toast for breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, I try to have bread once a day, and not at all, if I can help it.

I was really low on carbs for a while and carving them like crazy. I upped my veggie intake and had a little more bread or potatoes or whatever, and it seemed to even things out.

good luck!
  • I see you live in PA - so you have similar whether to me in CT! I heard something the other day on the radio about it being the time of year where everyone craves carbs. I guess because it is getting darker sooner and it is getting cold.

My advise: Stay away from simple carbs. The more I eat, the more I crave. Stick as much as you can to complex carbs/whole grain foods (whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, quinoa, barley, brown rice, etc.). Skip any white bread, 100 calorie packs, desserts, candy, etc.

I shoot for 50% of my calories from carbs which works to about 200 g of carbs. That has been working well for me - when I go much lower, I can't seem to keep away the hungries.

Also - since you are new to running, that may boost your appetite for a bit - but you will get used to that. If I have a particularly hard workout and I feel supper hungry, I go ahead and have an additional 100 - 150 cal snack.
  • I face the same problem... I'm addicted to carbs! I get closer to 300G a day but Sparkpeople says I am in my target range. So I don't worry about it.
  • I know this may go against how most people eat but I up my fat intake when I crave carbs. I don't eat many starchy carbs, very few. So I haven't had cravings in a while. I hope this passes quickly for you!