I'm going to sound like an informercial...this diet does work.

• Please forgive me for sounding like an infomercial, but this diet does work!

A little background about me...

I started this diet back in 2008 after losing and gaining a few times in my adult life. I will say that I'm not the most consistent. Life gets in the way from time to time. I have times where I forget to go to the gym (struggling with this one now)...have a little too much cake over the holidays...go on a cruise and eat/drink stuff that I KNOW I have no business eating and drinking. Please understand that I am NOT condoning these sort of behaviors. However, after I've fallen off the wagon (the longest has been three weeks), I usually get back on - a clean phase I for at least 3 days to a week (one of the things I've read in Thin For Life as well as Dr. Agatston's book...a good read if you're interested).

I will be the first to say that I haven't lost as much weight as I'd like...and I take accountability for that. I did, however, have other reasons for starting this diet besides vanity (I do admit that was a reason though). I have a family history of many chronic conditions - diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

Since I've been on this diet, each yearly physical I've had has gotten progressively better. I had my physical Friday and received my test results today. Everything was normal - cholesterol, blood fat, sodium levels - but the one I'm most excited about - my blood sugar (fasting) was 85. That is the lowest blood sugar level I've had in MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE. I think I even had blood sugar readings in the 90s as a teenager, so I might be able to go back even further than that.

So to those of you lacking motivation...wondering if this diet works...I am a real person and it has worked for me! The best thing about this diet, so far, in my opinion, is how it deals with sugar. I TRULY AM a sugar addict. If I start down the path of cookies (and I LOVE cookies) - it escalates. This diet has given me a way to deal with the addiction I have to that white stuff. If I go too far off course, I just go back to phase I until those cravings are gone. I promise you, IT WORKS - especially for other sugar addicts out there. I've lost weight on this diet - and two years later, I am NOT back at 283 - my highest adult weight ever. The last time I dieted back in 2005, I lost 38 pounds, but by 2007, I had put it all back on again.

(Now if I could get under 200 pounds I'd run through the street naked and celebrate...just kidding...but I'd be tempted. )
  • Congratulations on your wonderful progress! Your post is very inspiring. Your Doc must be very happy with your progress too.
  • Great news and an inspirational post. I'm always impressed by your persistence. Every month I see you on the exercise challenge, you never give up on yourself.

I second the Thin For Life recommendation. I read it after I started maintaining but think it's worth reading as soon as you make a decision to really change things. Hm, maybe it's time for a reread around here. thanks!
  • Congratulations!

Health (rather than vanity) was my motivation for starting SBD, too. Bt wearing smaller clothes sure feels better, doesn't it?

Thank you for the encouraging post.
  • It's always good to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the newcomers. Super fantastic news about all your bloodwork!
  • Congrats, girl!
  • Thanks for SUCH an inspirational message, I really needed that today after I caved and had a sandwich for lunch (on a white sub roll, UGH!) My highest adult weight is 281 and I'm hovering around 256-258 right now. I just need the motivation to keep going. Thank you for helping!!
  • Thanks everyone for the supportive words. AND I AM GOING TO THE GYM TODAY

Jewels - one of the things that I've come to terms with on this diet is that if you fall off the wagon - get up and get back on. There were a number of times in the past with other diets where I fell off the wagon and stayed there on the ground eating everything in sight...LOL. With me, that sandwich for lunch would turn into a pizza with fries and beer for dinner (well, I blew it...might as well "blow it right")...that turns into a whole week's worth of eating crap...then I'm right back where I started.

There will be times where you decide to indulge (November 25, anyone?)! I have been taking the approach that it's just the one meal, and THAT's it. One of my biggest challenges with that though, is leftovers. Usually I take them to work and let people scavenge over them.
  • I can completely relate to what you are saying. Thank you for your timely post. I am going to pick up Thin for Life as well. I keep telling my family this is not a "diet" that I/we are on. This is a lifestyle change. My husband gets made if he sees me eat something that he knows I should not (which has not happened very often) because the healthy food costs so much...but I keep saying to him, this is a lifestyle change, I am not going to use that 1 unhealthy choice as an excuse for a lifestyle of unhealthy eating...I am going right back to healthy eating. Which makes that unhealthy choice okay ONCE IN A WHILE!!!
  • Thank you SO MUCH for the post. I'm struggling w/ how badly I was off-plan this weekend, but I'm going to get right back to it (I made sure to eat on-plan tonight). This is my lowest weight in my adult life and it's ALL thanks to my doctor's suggestion to try South Beach. I have to admit I was reluctant at first and I thought the whole "detox" thing was a bunch of BS. But I knew before Phase I was complete that it wasn't BS and that this was the diet for me. Whenever people speak about losing weight, I always tout the benefits of SB. If I can point anybody else in the right direction, like someone did those of us here, I feel like I've blessed them. SB has changed my life...and that's no joke. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
  • Hey Natasha, I ate badly today and I know now not to do that because it's not worth it. Let's move on from this!
  • Quote: Hey Natasha, I ate badly today and I know now not to do that because it's not worth it. Let's move on from this!
    It's a deal!!! *high five*
  • Welcome back Nat, we missed you
  • Quote: Welcome back Nat, we missed you
    Thanks!!!
  • Your words are so inspirational, and I agree with them all. I started this way of eating because of vanity (mostly) but I quickly realized that I was actually making myself into an old lady with all the junk I was eating. I love losing weight and fitting into clothes, but what's really hooked me on this diet is the way I feel- just like my old, young self again!