Faux-fried Veggies

• I made these today and--WOW! were they good!!

variety of fresh veggies (I used asparagus, bell pepper, onion, green beans, & squash--I cut the bp into strips and sliced the onion into rings. I cut the squash into discs but left the asparagus and green beans long except for doing a little trimming off the end)

--I used just a few pieces of each veggie.--

Ingredients:

veggies
    whole wheat flour
    egg whites
    Paanko whole wheat bread crumbs (Paanko is lighter than regular bread crumbs and works better) {I couldn't find whole wheat so I used regular Paanko bread crumbs}
    salt
    Pam

I soaked the fresh veggies in ice water for at least 20 minutes.

I dredged the veggies in the whole wheat flour.
    Dipped them in the egg whites
    then dredged them in the Paanko bread crumbs.

I placed them on a cookie sheet that had been sprayed with Pam then lightly salted the veggies and sprayed them with Pam.

I baked them @ 425* for 20 minutes.

Ketchup or dressing of choice for dipping.

A few months ago at a movie tavern I had this dish made by deep fry method. I honestly liked the ones I made today in the oven just as well.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it.
  • I did a similar version of this with zucchini strips the other night. We used them in the place of french fries. Even my kids enjoyed them. (well most of the kids)
  • I'll bet the zucchini chips were good. I was talking to a gf tonight and she suggested dill pickles, fresh okra, or jalapenos.

Congratulations on losing 40 pounds. That's awesome!