Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 11/4-11/10

You're on Page 2 of 11
Go to
View Poll Results: So, Halloween is over, how well did you do on your prediction?
I did exactly as I said, just one piece!
4.17%
I did exactly as I said, not one piece!
54.17%
I did exactly as I said, jus had a piece of SB Legal Chocolate!
0%
I did exactly what I said that night, there after, it's a different story!
0%
I failed, but not too bad!
20.83%
I failed, and miserably at that!
4.17%
You mean Halloween is over? I'm still celebrating!
4.17%
I plead the Fifth. I'm not saying anything to incriminate myself!
8.33%
Other
4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll
  • LKF- You are killing me girl! Canada is almost identical to the USA with regards to holidays except we celebrate different Thanksgiving times and there are a few Monarch/President type variations. Let's face it, the USA is our big brother and we are the whimpering younger, smaller, less powerful sibling. Way to go on the 8 lbs for October!

Rosalie- We got snow here on Friday night and it has stayed. Not that much on the ground but it has been so cold that it hasn't had a chance to melt. We are hoping it will though because I agree..it is way too early to have snow now. That would make for a very long winter!

TONI- Thanks. I really needed to get my butt in gear and get exercising again. I am wanting to go back to 5 days a week like I used to. I was losing weight so well without it, I let it slip by. But now I know I have to get motivated to finally get to goal when it is so close.

JACK-K- That 2 lbs will be gone before you know it. I won't even confess how many made their way back onto my scale after this last week!
  • Here's a bit of news: It's bad to have TOM on Halloween!

I ate 2 Almond Joys, handful of MM's. and a Recees. At least they were bite size

Considering I probably walked 3 miles with the kids hopefully it won't hurt me to much.
    Otherwise doing good.
    Getting cold here in Connecticut. It's wet and cold here today
  • Oh I have to post what I have because I just wiped out my nice long post. Don't know what I hit.

Gracious, guess we both will have a strict week OP.

LKF, WTG on the 8 lbs. You are where I started at & we are headed to the same place, and hey if I can do this so can you. Hope Nov is just as good if not better. Keep up the good work. We leave Sun morning and get on the boat after 2:00.

Toni, You be careful on that TM and on't overdo. Yes we will both have to try hard on vacation. Have a great time.

Denise, So sorry your vertigo ruined your weekend. I can't imagine how you are functioning, I had it for 1 day and I could hardly lift my head. Fell better soon and keep doing those exercises.

Cherylco, Hopefully all that walking counteracted your chocolate. Just start anew and you will be fine.

Later,

Jackie
  • HI Everyone!

My daughter and son in law (the chef) breezed in about an hour ago to do laundry and cook lunch here. He had cod fillets that were given to him at work which he breaded and fried, and made sandwiches. I had already eaten, but tasted the fish. Very yummy.

Shhh! Don't tell my hubby, but after they left, I loaded up the dishwasher and turned it on. I just hate going down to my kitchen, and seeing it such a mess! I swear no one cleans but me!

I took a nap already, so I guess I will plump up the pillows and read a while. Will check in later!

DEB: Do you need a new computer, or can you just reformat your harddrive and reload your programs? That is what my son did for my computer. That will get rid of your viruses, tho it is a pain to have to reload everything on the computer. You do lose all your info, which is frustrating, but you can probably get most of the stuff back..it just takes a bit of time and energy. If you are buying a new one, and want advice, let me know. My son builds computers for people all the time, (he worked as a computer help desk tech for four years before being laid off and is now selling cellphones.)

DENISE: You better do those neck rotation exercises! I am sorry you had to find out the hard way how important they are for you! Hope you are all better soon!

CHERYLCO: I hope all your walking helps keep that sugar indiscretion at bay.... Drink plenty of water too!

GRACIOUS: I will check in at LCC. Didn't think they would remember me.

Will check in and post more later! Time to read!
  • EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

Weather is SO NICE over here on the WEST COAST OF FLA!!!
    No humidity so it's nice and cool out there..
    I have the feeling that I'm going to be right along with JACKIE tomorrow when I get on the scales...that Italian food I ate last night has me "all "swolled" up!!! ...I can tell from my rings...

Not much news over here...gearing up for the election tomorrow...
    WE HAVE TO GET JEB OUT OF OFFICE!!!!

I"ll check in later...

BOB
  • Hi!
    Just checking in...leaving work now. What a day! I'm so glad I can go home and lay in bed now. I'm going to take my antivert and my klonipan as soon as I get there. I just hope traffic isn't too bad.

Thank you Toni and Monet for your get well wishes...Hoping to be better tomorrow!

Gracious and Rosalie: I want some of your snow!!! It's too dang hot and humid on the east coast of Florida...

Cherylco: You probably burned off that candy after walking 3 miles. That's great you are exercising...

Bob: I agree, lets vote Jeb out of office tomorrow!!

Debbie: Oh, my Mom wrote back about your Disney get together trip and this is what she said "Sugar Busters at Disney sounds fun...maybe you can do the marathon with me some year and meet some of your friends from the SB group at the same time. It isn't far off now. I am excited. I ran 23 miles on Saturday...took me five hours, but it was good... no pain and no knee problems. I'll just do two more really really long runs of 25 and 27...and then it is off to Disney! I'm going up to Boca on Sunday to run the PAL Half Marathon as a training run for Disney. I'll be experimenting with new shorts, gel, and just survival techniques!

I watched the hour of the New York Marathon shown on t.v. yesterday. What a thrill to see Marla Runyan come in 5th for women, and she is legally blind! I can't believe all she accomplishes. Guess we shouldn't complain when we have our little problems. What an athlete!

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Denise
  • Good evening everyone. Thought I would just pop in and say howdy. Had my beans for dinner and just took an early shower.

LKF- Thanks for the good words of encouragement. I started SB March 03 of this year. I'm hopeing to have my 32 lbs off by March. Or be really close.

gracious- One day at a time will do it.. Hope you got it in today. You sure were doing great on that exercise program you were on.

cherylco- Well this is a whole new week so hop on up this ole wagon....

Jack-K- Bet you'll do well on your cruise with eating, they'll have all sorts of tasty legal food.... but I sure don't know at my brother's house... LOL...

Monet- Now you quit cleaning that kitchen and rest rest rest.....

Bob-I'm counting on you to get that man out of office there in Florida.....

Denise- Wow I'm having real admiration for your running......

Got to run.....
  • TONI: Yes ma'am! I took a nap and read the rest of the afternoon, honest! School is out tomorrow, so I hope I can get my 16 year old daughter to clean some for me!

BOB: Drink more water to flush that swelling out!

Off to find something to nibble on.
  • Hey, where is everyone? The board sure is slow.

I am about to hit the hay... I have a recheck with the doctor tomorrow morning. Since he has a new office, he still doesn't have some basics, like a scale. Too bad, I wanted an official weight to look at.

Anyone got any ideas for really EASY SB legal meals? I need to write up some menus for my hubby and daughter, so we can have something more than scrounge for dinner. My throat is still sore, so not something 'crisp', ok?

Sweet dreams!
  • Hey All

Thought I'd get in a post, or at least start one, before I take Michael to his guitar class in a half-hour. Will kill some time after I drop him off at the grocery store and possibly KMart.

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW... Anyone who is interested in coming in in Janaury and wants to make more of a vacation out of this, you are more than welcome to come fly in to Miami or even Ft. Lauderdale and stay at the DETOX DUNGEON and drive up to Orlando with us when we go-open door for anyone who dares, I mean who'd like to

TRISH, OMG, that poor kid driver. Well, that's just another reason I don't think kids should be driving too young. One of Michael's friends had a minor accident the other day, also a new driver. I know one day he'll be driving, but I sure am not going to push the issue. That would be so cool if you could also make it in January. We were posting at the same time, so hopefully, you've seen the info that I put in my last post above. LMK if you need any other info.

MUSIC, CONGRATS on being down another 1/2lb! Hey, the older they get the worse their rooms get, at least in my case, shoes are always missing, so are keys, cordless telephones, the list goes on.....

LKF, you're doing wonderful so far on SB, that's a wonderful loss in a short period of time, keep up the great work!

JACKK, sorry to hear about the self-torture you put yourself through this morning. I think I may inflict the same of me soon, mid-cycle is almost here and I'm feeling bloated somewhat, and I'm sure the scale will show this, BUT, I know that I won't let it get to me too much, just have to be patient and I know the scale will go back down-has to, I haven't done anything "wrong." I'm sure it will go back down for you as well. Yes, those shoes are being broken in for WDW, probably along with another pair as well, just in case. Wish there was some way we could meet up before you go to the ship-if you think of anything, let me know!!!!

TONI, you are doing so well with your exercise, I'm really proud of you, I know what kind of commitment it takes, esp. when you have health issues to deal with as well. Just look how far you've come! I know you'll have a great time in Denver, you'll do just fine, enjoy yourself and the family!

DENISE, sorry to hear your weekend was interrupted by your sore throat and this vertigo. What actually causes this to happen? OMG, I like thrift stores too, esp. when I find something worthwhile. BUT, as of late, I haven't been going to them much, I do much better at the garage sales, it seems. Oh yes, BOB can certainly shop, and so can TRANQUIL. I can't wait to see those 2 in action together! That is so cool that your DM is going to be doing the half marathon in WDW as well, more of a reason to come!!! I can't believe she runs like she does at her age, it's ver inspiring. Trust me, my times are nothing, I'm sure she far surpasses me on timing on her worse days, let's not even mention miles. I don't know how she can run so many miles while we have this heat-it's hard enough for me to get in 4.5 miles. I don't feel I'll be ready for the marathon. I don't plan on running it, walk and jog is about it for me, and walking is definitely in store for up the hills-can't train for hills when we ain't got none, unless you call an overpass over the turnpike a hill! When we went to watch FROG & MR. FROG run the WDWM last year it amazed me to see people of all kinds running, walking, etc. I hope you can come too, that would be awesome. You'll love the gals, I can tell you from experience that they are all wonderful and yes, I can be biased since I've met most of them! It sounds like we have quite a bit in common, daughters same age, us about the same age, like thrift stores, probably lots more. Would love to meet you up in Broward for lunch one day if you can, or at least gab on the phone. You can e-mail me your telly if you want # [email protected].

CHERYL, I'm sure that those little bars won't bother you much if you got right back on track. Almond joys are one of the few candys I like, I hate the coconut-yuck! I'm sure the walking helped counteract any gains-don't worry.

MONET, you better be careful or else I'm gonna tellllll..... Our computer is pretty old, well, by computer standards. I think it's about 6 years old, maybe older. I do think we'll be stuck with getting a new one, kids are always complaing about it. We need a new printer too. I just can't imagine losing not only my AOL info, but everything I have stored on the HD, like pics! I'm going to take my time and try to see what would be best, but of course, I'll have to ask someone who knows something about computers, I sure don't know squat. Thanks for the offer of helping possibly answer some questions, will let you know if I have any How about the crustless spinach quiche for a meal idea??

Okay, it's almost 11pm and I'm going to bed. I'll check in sometime tomorrow before we head out for the day-ELI is off, need I say more?

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
    194/126.5/129
    SB since 3/22/00
    Reached goal 6/10/01
  • HiedieHo All!!

Went to NH this morning armed with Trivia questions. What a fun time we had! One question would stir up lots of conversation and enabled me to ask my own questions as follow-ups. Was able to make up a lot of them pn GWTW. Then went to stor and pharmacy. Made supper, a version of shrimp scampi.

It's still Monday yet here so am submitting this for MM:

Dust if you must but wouldn't it be better To paint a picture or write a letter, Bake a cake or plant a seed.
    Ponder the difference between want and need?
    _
    Dust if you must but there's not much time, With rivers to swim and mountains to climb, Music to hear and books to read, Friends to cherish and life to lead.
    _
    Dust if you must but the world's out there With the sun in your eyes, the wind in your hair, A flutter of snow, a shower of rain.
    This day will not come around again.
    _
    Dust if you must but bear in mind, Old age will come and it's not kind.
    And when you go and go you must, You, yourself, will make more dust.
    _
    Remember, a house becomes a home when you can write "I love you" on the furniture....
    _
    Share this with all the wonderful women in your life!
    (I Just Did)

and

A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...

You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In the first, she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil, without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.

Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me, what do you see?"

"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied. She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. She then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled, as she tasted its rich aroma. The daughter then asked. "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity-boiling water-but each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.

The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But, after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.

The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond?_ Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?"

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity, do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you.

When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate to another level?

How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Count your blessings, not your problems.
    ~Author Unknown~

Will "see" you all toorrow. HAve a PW meeting in the afternoon.

Shirley
  • Woo Hoo! I only woke up twice last night! Once at 2:30, for water, and once at 5:30 when my hubby gently poked me and asked me to roll over. You know how you can tell you are snoring as you are falling asleep? Well, after I rolled over, I could tell and tried not to. Unless I was dreaming, it sounded pretty bad!
    I slept until 7:15, which is great for me!

I have a doctor's appointment this morning. It will be interesting to hear what he says. My throat is much better, but I still have a few areas that are sore and rather painful. I am going armed with a list. Getting this doctor to sit still for a minute is difficult!

Well, guess I will get off and eat some breakfast. Have a great day everyone!

DEB: Looks like Tom and I are going to be Orlando for the get together. Do I need to make reservations? I am sorry about your losing all that data...especially the pictures. Being married to a computer programmer, and having a son who is a tech, they have always drilled into me to do backup. When my harddrive crashed the first time, I lost a lot of my writings, but I had thankfully backed up my pictures. It was accidental back up, but at least it was done. Once you get this mess cleaned up, make sure you do back ups of stuff you don't want to lose. If you buy a new computer, get a CD burner in it. Then you can burn your pictures to a CD and you won't have to worry about losing them again. I am very sorry you have to deal with this kind of a mess. It is frustrating...I have been there twice. If there is anything you need help with, let me know. I can ask my 'boys' for you....

SEF: I enjoyed the carrot, egg and coffee story. Very thought provoking!
  • Yeah Me!
    Kinda cool again here this morning. The sun's out now but it's supposed to get cloudy.

Well, I am quite proud of myself today. I've been doing pretty good since my Halloween indiscrestions. I went shopping yesterday and picked up cookies and chips for DH and DS and I didn't have any!

I was really hungry last night. Had a yummy dinner of chicken, salad and brussels sprouts ( I can't remember who was discussing the sprouts last week, but I love them! So does my 5 year old!). I was hungry later and had some oat bran stix. They weren't filling me up, so I had an apple. I was STILL hungry. DH says that there's more chips! Rotten guy He had polished off a family bag already! BUT I resisted Instead I had a piece of leftover homemade WW crust pizza.

Today I am rewarded with the scale saying 166! Hopefully it will stay down for WIW

SEF--Thanks for the MM. I like to think of myself as the coffee. I usually try to see the best of a situation.

DENISE--WOW! Your mom is amazing! Very inspirational. I'm sorry you weren't well over the weekend. I hope the vertigo is gone quickly. Keep doing those exercises. I noticed we are close in age, have similar stats and chose the same avatar!

MONET--keep resting! I hope your throat feels better real soon. Is there something you like and can be done in a crockpot that the family could do? Or how about some chili?

CHERYLCO--I had TOM too for Halloween. I bet those 3 miles you walked helped to wear off the chocolate.

GRACIOUS--Your snow STAYED??? Yikes! Way to go on the commitment to get back to exercising!

LKF--WTG on the 8lbs gone for the month! You are always so encouraging and supportive to everyone. I am right back on plan and feel GREAT! I just need to get the water drinking up.

TONI48--Hooray for you in doing the TM! You've done amazing with your weight loss.

JACKK--I bet those 2 pounds will come off before the cruise. You've got the right attitude. How awful to find out your work was broken into. At least your office wasn't messed up or it would have taken you longer to get next weeks work done

MUSIC--Congrats on the 1/2 lb. Keep strong, the cheating is not worth it!

DEBELLI--I hope you can retrieve most of what's on your computer. I'd be so lost if I lost all my bookmarks and everything. WTG getting in your run, even in the heat.

Well, I started this long ago, so I'm sure there have been posts since. I'll TRY to catch up later.

Have a GREAT day everyone!
  • Good Tuesday Morning Everyone

Whoa, it is brutal out there! Not only is it hot out there, but the humidity is at 91%! I got in my 4.5 miles but just walked it, took me 59:17, slow as a turtle. It amazes me how much I sweat after coming in, it's just dripping down me!

ELI is already out, he went to vote. I, on the other hand don't due my duty as a citizen, I've never voted, I think they are all sheisters (bs'ers) and absolutely hate anything that has to do with politics.

Not sure what else is on his agenda today. He has no A/C in his car so that needs to be looked at, esp. with it being so hot. He may have to start looking at cars, his has over 99K miles on it and has been giving trouble recently, but then again, he can't afford any type of car payment either-caught between a rock and a hard place. I say to get it fixed and keep it going. It's been a great car and is in good condition for it's age.

ALEKA posted this as a thread on our boards. I hope those of you who can give her some personal insight about her questions will reply:

Combining WW & SB

I am currently attending WW and am having good results. I understand that some of you have had good luck combining both WOE. I would appreciate any and all advice you can give me. Do I need to buy a good Glycemic (sp?) index book to refer to? What type of foods do you eat so you don't rack up points quickly. It seems to me that all the healthy foods seem to have a high point value. I had been following Suzanne Somers WOE, but got tired of food combining. When I started WW I was like a "kid in a candy store" with all the carbs and processed food I could have. I want to get back to a healthier way of eating, and I remembered at one time my Dr. suggested that I look into SB. Thank you for your help.

Aleka

ALEKA, as I told you, I think if you have the WW tools that combining the two is a great idea, as it surely can't hurt. You don't need to get a GI index book, there's a ton of info on the web. Just remember, the GI index is a tool but it's not the only factor when following SB. I'd suggest you get the SB BOOK at the library, along with Michael Montignac's book EAT YOURSELF SLIM and read those to give you more insight. Also, a great site on the web that gives a good overview of SB is at http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters Let us know if you have any other questions, we'll be more than happy to throw in our 2 cents when we can

We also have a thread from BABYBOO that I have copied below as well:

help me please
    how does this diet work? can anyone help either respond here or email me here [email protected]
    thanks one more thing how is it working for you?

BABYBOO, as I mentioned to ALEKA above, check out the website I posted the link for, it gives a good overview of SB. As for how it's working for me...it's the only thing that has ever worked for me, at least to date, not even surgery did it. I've been at my goal weight for almost 1 1/2 years now. This is by far the easiest WOE I have ever done, not to mention, the healthiest. If you want to follow a WOE that you can do indefinitely and make it a true WOL, this is it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

SEF, I now understand what you meant about the ring. I didn't mean to keep it big because I thought I'd gain a lot of weight, but figured, with age, I'll probably be packing on a few extra pounds as I keep heading down the dreaded hill. I can tell you I'm glad I didn't get it any smaller, boy, when I retain water, it fits mighty fine! Loved the MM posts you did, esp. the second one with the coffee. I sent it to ELI'S e-mail so he could read it and pass it along to others at SB.

MONET, glad to hear you slept better last night, I didn't, had weird dreams that kept me tossing and turning. Good luck at the Dr. today, let us know what he says. I'm thrilled that you will be coming to Orlando. Between BOB & I we'll get an idea of how many rooms we need and get on the phone with the RIU and get some info so we can all get rooms near each other. I'll keep you abreast of all the info as it becomes available! Backup! I wouldn't know even how to back anything up I tried to copy my AOL files to disk and it said it was too big, to get a bigger disk! I'm so computer stupid!

ZANNE, I hope I can retrieve what's left of my stuff. Who knows, I'm don't even know how to try at this point. Will have to call a friend who's husband knows a bit about computers, problem is, he works full time and it can take weeks for him to come over. Is Halloween a big deal in Canada as it is here in the States?

Okay, the old bugger just came home and said he's taking his car in to the mechanic to be checked. I have to go jump in the shower and get ready.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT TONIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST I'm hoping Michael won't be hogging the computer!!!!

Remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!! I wish us all luck with the metal monster tomorrow!!!!

Will check in later!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
    194/126.5/129
    SB since 3/22/00
    Reached goal 6/10/01
  • Zanne, congratulations on the weight loss! Way to go!!! See, resisting all those chips paid off...doesn't it feel good when you are rewarded for good behavior! Thanks for your encouraging words about my October weight loss. I am pleased, too, and enjoying the SB program more all the time! I feel so good! To feel this good and be losing weight is such a HUGE deal to me!

Jack-K, only a few more days and you'll be on that ship! I know you can't wait and I hope that helps the week to fly!

Monet, I think you asked for some help with easy SB-legal meals for hubby to fix while you are recuperating, right? Well, here are a few I enjoy: Have him boil a couple of eggs each and have them with some canned spinach and a can of black-eyed peas -- one of my favorite dishes! And so easy. Another idea is to have him stop by WalMart and pick up one of those whole rotissed chickens to have with a salad and a piece of toast. They are so good and here, only cost around $4.00 for the whole chicken! And how about taking a ww tortilla, spread some fat-free refried beans on it, then embed some fresh broccoli all over the beans, then cover it all with shredded cheese! It's a great combination and the fresh broccoli gives such a great crunch to each bite!