question..... tmi

• So I apologize in advance but does anyone go to the bathroom right after working out? Like diarrhea?? Sorry I know its gross but every time no matter what I do at the gym I have this problem when I get home. Please let me know I'm not the only one lol
  • hmmmm- you got me on that one. Could you be dehydrated?
  • when I lost a bunch of weight the first time, after a long walk or cardio I would have to go to the bathroom. Coffee would also sometimes have the same effect.

Weird thing, I'm on my second round of weight loss and cardio and coffee doesn't have the same effect.
  • I know that this is something that runners deal with, and one of the causes is that blood is diverted from the stomach (where it's needed for digestion) to the muscles (that are demanding it for the workout) and this messes up digestion. Makes sense that the same could be true for any exercise, not just running.
  • You could check w/ your dr, but I bet it isn't abnormal or anything to worry about. I know when we used to have horses, their poo would get loose once their innards were "hotted up" from exercise...would have to guess it can work the same way for people. And maybe what you are eating has something to do with it too.

Barb
  • I don't have a problem with diarrhea, but I usually have to go number 2 shortly after working out. Not sure why it happens, but it's pretty much a guarantee for me. I'm a little nervous because I will be running a 5k in December and I don't want the need to strike me while I'm celebrating with other runners!
  • I'm like dudesmom. I don't get the runs, but it's pretty much garaunteed I'll have to go #2 shortly after hitting the gym. So I have to make any after gym shopping trips short and sweet.
  • Exercise stimulates peristalsis, the rhythmic contraction of your intestines to move food down. Thus, the need to poop. Loose stools are a combination of the increased peristalsis and diverted blood flow. At least that's everyone's current best guess.