nursing appetite

• My little girl is 3 months old and I'm EBF. The weight was coming off around a pound a week until the last 2 weeks. My appetite has spiraled out of control and I've gained 5 pounds back. Ugh.

I understand that the weight gain was my fault because I've been eating too much, but I don't understand why my appetite spiked or what I can do about it. Has anyone else experienced this appetite increase, and if so, what helped get it back under control?

Oh and my average calories per daywere around 1700 but since my appetite spiked my average has been around 1900. (Note 1900 has been my average lately, I've had several days that were much higher.)

Thanks!
  • I'm not sure why your appetite would suddenly spike, at 3 months pp... is it possibly that you're not getting enough protein in your diet?? I find that if I eat more carbs and less protein, I feel hungry all the time. Or possibly just a hormonal thing... sorry I'm not much help, but I hope it changes for you soon!
  • Thanks for responding! I wondered if protein could be the culprit, since my diet tends to be carb heavy. I'll have to work on that.... besides, my supply is better when I eat more protein anyway.
    My appetite seems to have evened itself out and I'm losing again, although slowly. My daughter has definitely had a growth spurt, so that might have caused it.
  • My appetite spikes when my nursing babies go through growth spurts. I just try to eat more protein and fiber, it keeps me fuller longer.
  • Yeah, nursing changed for me around the 3 month mark - she went through a growth spurt and then things leveled off in our nursing routine, and the frequency changed. Either of those things could be a cause for your appetite to change!
  • I agree with PP! When baby needs more, we feel it! I barely have an appetite while pregnant but am totally ravenous while breastfeeding! Keeping a protein bar and piece of fruit handy at all times is helpful for me. It keeps me full and then I'm less likely to fill up on empty calories.
  • @ Hotmamacitax2 - What a great idea!
    My little one is now 5 months (!!) old and my appetite has leveled out nicely. I'm now able to stay within my calorie goals easily and the weight is coming off. I've lost about 15 lbs since the initial water + baby loss.