IP Daily Chat - 1 October 2010

You're on Page 5 of 8
Go to
  • Quote: Hello to everyone! I have not checked in lately. I thought I would report my last three weeks loss for the newbies.

I took five days off IP from Sept 12-16. I then jumped right back on protocol. My regular weigh in yesterday was a 4 pound loss. Normally this would be awesome, however, that is really a total over three weeks. My point is you can take a break from IP if necessary, but be prepared to lose a week for every week you are off protocol. In other words, one week off usually equates to two weeks of weight loss opportunity gone. The good news is , for me anyway, once ketosis kicks back in I have at least one good week before I go back to one or two pounds a week.

So that's my story. Congrats to everyone on your recent and long term successes!

FYI: I am 100% using alternative products as of 4 weeks ago.
    I have a 6 day trip coming up in 3 weeks. Frankly, I would never have planned the trip if I'd known I would be on IP. But this trip has been in the works for about a year - I'm going to the Finger Lakes NY region and then to Niagara Falls (Ontario) with 3 women that I've been friends with since first grade! And that's a looonnnnnggggg time, since we are all 61 this year. We reconnected a year ago after about 30 years apart. Anyway, I was very worried about this trip from a diet perspective when I started IP. But now, I feel very confident that I can handle all the restaurant meals, with only one meal being off-plan (we have already reserved and paid for a tour and dinner on our last night - chef's choice).

As the weeks enfold on this diet, I have gained more control and confidence. For example, today, even though we normally are not allowed to have food in our work area, we all brought in food for my boss' birthday. It's all sitting out on a table right behind me, but I'm not tempted at all! Amazing! So I am more confident than ever that I'll do fine on my trip and will hop right back on the protocol the day after I get home.
  • I'm one of the people who posted last week that weekends are VERY hard for me. I'm kinda scared that it's the weekend again so soon. I need to hang out here on the forum board because you guys are my support group. I'll be hiding from the forum board if I'm going off protocol.

Does anyone want my cell # to send me a text msg or give me a quick call? My cell is always with me whereas my computer is not. I would appreciate a support buddy. Send me a private message if you too might like a little reminder text this weekend or check in to provide a support buddy. It could keep us accountable.

~Rhonda (no Lynn necessary)
  • Hello all. As you will soon find out, I am not only new to the IP diet (started 9/21/10) but I am new to this site and to posting. So, if some thinking looks or sounds silly, please forgive me. I am a fast learner.
    After having my third and final baby in February, I was left with 60 extra pounds that I had just finished losing in 2009. I heard about IP on a radio commercial and decided I'm tired of being fat. I am determined to be skinny before I turn 30 in January.
    I am here on this site to find new recipes or the limited veggies/ meats on phase one as well as some encouragement from those who are or have persevered through this process.

k
  • Quote: I'm one of the people who posted last week that weekends are VERY hard for me. I'm kinda scared that it's the weekend again so soon. I need to hang out here on the forum board because you guys are my support group. I'll be hiding from the forum board if I'm going off protocol.

Does anyone want my cell # to send me a text msg or give me a quick call? My cell is always with me whereas my computer is not. I would appreciate a support buddy. Send me a private message if you too might like a little reminder text this weekend or check in to provide a support buddy. It could keep us accountable.

~Rhonda (no Lynn necessary)
    Rhonda Chin Up Girl!! Don't Hide!! You will do fine!!
  • Wow, I went to create some flower arrangements for church, attend a short meeting and get a massage and you are 5 pages into the day!

Congratulations on the weight lost by everyone and the temptations that were refused.

When I'm starting to struggle with choices, I like to think about whether the choices I am making now will help me become a better version of myself. So, each moment when I choose what to do, I try to think about whether it will make me a better person. Is eating healthy, not cheating and staying on plan going to make me a better person? I think I know the answer to that one!
  • Can you give me your thoughts on pepperoni? I'm under the assumption it's not allowed, but really need to understand why! Thanks!
  • Quote: When I started IP in April, I made a decision then, that this was going to be a new way of life for me. It wasn't an option to follow it on some days and not on others. If I did that it would be like all of the other diets I have been on in my life. There are time that I want and crave something so badly, but I know that it would be more than just eating the "thing". It would be breaking a promise to myself about wanting a new way of life, and about getting it.

I talk about this because I find the chat changing from when I first came to the boards in July. There was a lot of encouragement all around and if you wanted to talk about cheating, you went to the thread about "cheating" and discussed it there. I think as people that have been committed to this protocol, it is important to role model the positive behaviors for the new people that are starting every day. Cheating is not an option! We shouldn't need cheat free weekends, our week should naturally include not eating off of protocol. Things happen and sometimes people do slip, but you get back up and start again. We don't hope that it is not going to happen tomorrow. We commit to ourselves and the people on this board that it is not happening - not any more.

When we let ourselves down, we lose self esteem, lose belief that we can be successful, fail at other things in our lives, and remain unhappy. Please don't give up on yourselves. Determine what it is that you can live with and go for it. Recommit to yourselves that the Ideal Protein Diet Plan can work for you.
    This is a fantastic post! And it was much kinder than my previous posts have been, or than this post will likely be.

I, too, have noticed a change in dailies in just the last couple of weeks (and I'm not talking about speedos, ferrets or goats). Most of us come here for help, advice and encouragement because we're all following the same protocol. The help, advice and encouragement should be about sticking with the protocol.

I saw a post the other day from someone who was thinking of leaving the forum because some of us are pretty hardcore about not cheating. Frankly stated, I'm not here to offer you sympathy because you're too weak to stick to the protocol. If that statement bothers you, deal with it.

My grandfather was fond of saying "The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment." Think about that statement for a moment.

When I first got involved in these threads, I was new to IP and found some very valuable advice here. I was looking for, and found, advice from people who had already experienced what I was going through. And I expect that as I finish phase 1 and move through to the other phases, I will continue to find the same valuable information.

Now that I've been on Phase 1 for a while, I hope others who are new to IP can benefit from my experience. It is also my personality and my nature to inject humor and fun into every aspect of my life, these threads included.

That said, I am not here to keep you from eating that donut. If you want it, eat it. I'm not here to make sure you don't have a Big Mac and super-sized fries this weekend. If you want that, go for it. And I'm not here to give you a pat on the back because you ate a whole pizza by yourself and now you feel bad about it.

While that might seem harsh, we're all a product of our decisions, whether they are good or bad. We live in a society that shirks personal responsibility and seeks to blame someone else for anything and everything. But McDonald's and Pizza Hut didn't make me fat. I did that to myself, one drive thru or delivery order at a time. Back in April, I made the commitment to stop doing that to myself. That commitment precludes the daily opportunities to cheat.

If you're not committed to changing your lifestyle, no one on this site can make that change for you. If you haven't made that commitment as part of starting IP, how can you expect to maintain a healthy lifestyle once you've reached your goal weight?

For those who are committed to living a healthy lifestyle, these threads serve as a place to find answers to questions, seek advice and help regarding the IP process, and to find encouragement when the naysayers appear or when the going gets rough. If your urge to cheat is stronger than your commitment, no amount of encouragement or advice is going to keep your hand out of the cookie jar. I guess I'm a mean, horrible person, but I have no intention of throwing kudos your way for the crumbs on your chin. If you've cheated, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on the plan -- and stick to it this time!

I just returned from a lunch out with most of my co-workers. They picked an all-you-can-eat pizza place. I took my WF dressings, an IP bar, and I enjoyed a couple of trips to their salad bar and drank ice water. Did the pizza look good? **** yes! Did the whole place smell like bread and melted cheese? **** yes! But I've tasted pizza before and I did just fine not tasting it again today.

I cite that example, not to be condescending, but to prove a point. It isn't difficult to stick to the protocol if your commitment to yourself is stronger than your commitment to food.

Zig Ziglar said "You cannot consistently perform in a manner which is inconsistent with the way you see yourself." When I started IP I decided to see myself at my goal weight, living a healthy lifestyle. To cheat would be to perform in a manner inconsistent with that vision. The longer I'm on IP, the closer that vision is to becoming reality.

If you find this post offensive, then I offer this simple apology: I'm sorry we don't share the same commitment to sticking to the protocol and finishing what's been started.
  • I just returned from a lunch out with most of my co-workers. They picked an all-you-can-eat pizza place. I took my WF dressings, an IP bar, and I enjoyed a couple of trips to their salad bar and drank ice water. Did the pizza look good? **** yes! Did the whole place smell like bread and melted cheese? **** yes! But I've tasted pizza before and I did just fine not tasting it again today.

I am not sure if I cut this right so I didn't use the whole post!! Wow that is some serious inspiration, thankyou!!
  • Sorry salesgod, I didn't cut it right!!
  • Quote: This is a fantastic post! And it was much kinder than my previous posts have been, or than this post will likely be.

I, too, have noticed a change in dailies in just the last couple of weeks (and I'm not talking about speedos, ferrets or goats). Most of us come here for help, advice and encouragement because we're all following the same protocol. The help, advice and encouragement should be about sticking with the protocol.

I saw a post the other day from someone who was thinking of leaving the forum because some of us are pretty hardcore about not cheating. Frankly stated, I'm not here to offer you sympathy because you're too weak to stick to the protocol. If that statement bothers you, deal with it.

My grandfather was fond of saying "The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment." Think about that statement for a moment.

When I first got involved in these threads, I was new to IP and found some very valuable advice here. I was looking for, and found, advice from people who had already experienced what I was going through. And I expect that as I finish phase 1 and move through to the other phases, I will continue to find the same valuable information.

Now that I've been on Phase 1 for a while, I hope others who are new to IP can benefit from my experience. It is also my personality and my nature to inject humor and fun into every aspect of my life, these threads included.

That said, I am not here to keep you from eating that donut. If you want it, eat it. I'm not here to make sure you don't have a Big Mac and super-sized fries this weekend. If you want that, go for it. And I'm not here to give you a pat on the back because you ate a whole pizza by yourself and now you feel bad about it.

While that might seem harsh, we're all a product of our decisions, whether they are good or bad. We live in a society that shirks personal responsibility and seeks to blame someone else for anything and everything. But McDonald's and Pizza Hut didn't make me fat. I did that to myself, one drive thru or delivery order at a time. Back in April, I made the commitment to stop doing that to myself. That commitment precludes the daily opportunities to cheat.

If you're not committed to changing your lifestyle, no one on this site can make that change for you. If you haven't made that commitment as part of starting IP, how can you expect to maintain a healthy lifestyle once you've reached your goal weight?

For those who are committed to living a healthy lifestyle, these threads serve as a place to find answers to questions, seek advice and help regarding the IP process, and to find encouragement when the naysayers appear or when the going gets rough. If your urge to cheat is stronger than your commitment, no amount of encouragement or advice is going to keep your hand out of the cookie jar. I guess I'm a mean, horrible person, but I have no intention of throwing kudos your way for the crumbs on your chin. If you've cheated, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back on the plan -- and stick to it this time!

I just returned from a lunch out with most of my co-workers. They picked an all-you-can-eat pizza place. I took my WF dressings, an IP bar, and I enjoyed a couple of trips to their salad bar and drank ice water. Did the pizza look good? **** yes! Did the whole place smell like bread and melted cheese? **** yes! But I've tasted pizza before and I did just fine not tasting it again today.

I cite that example, not to be condescending, but to prove a point. It isn't difficult to stick to the protocol if your commitment to yourself is stronger than your commitment to food.

Zig Ziglar said "You cannot consistently perform in a manner which is inconsistent with the way you see yourself." When I started IP I decided to see myself at my goal weight, living a healthy lifestyle. To cheat would be to perform in a manner inconsistent with that vision. The longer I'm on IP, the closer that vision is to becoming reality.

If you find this post offensive, then I offer this simple apology: I'm sorry we don't share the same commitment to sticking to the protocol and finishing what's been started.
    You are sure mean and horrible, but I have lost 47 lbs in 10 weeks listening to you! Thank you!
  • Quote: This is a fantastic post! And it was much kinder than my previous posts have been, or than this post will likely be.

Rosemary and Dave, you are both right on! I've been thinking the same thing lately. I had assumed that the place to talk about cheating was in that thread so those that did not want to cheat could not see the temptations. I have yet to open that thread because that's not going to encourage me to stay on plan. I have traveled, dined out, been to anniversary parties and I'm going to something called a Chocolate Walk tonight but none of those things will cause me to go off plan because I have made a decision to change my life.

I've talked to a couple of friends lately about this protocol and I try to be very clear on this, if you do not want to change your lifestyle, don't diet. It's stupid and a waste of time and money. When you are ready to make changes, IP is a great tool to help you do.

Anyway, I don't intend to sound like a meanie and if focusing on one day at a time or just getting through the weekend helps you, great, but I have been on many diets and none of them have failed to help me lose weight. I was the one that failed to follow them and I don't intend to do that this time.

Well said. I needed to hear that. Sometimes I get discourged that I've lost almost 30 pounds and no one seems to be able to tell but my husband. It's because I still have so much to lose. I can tell though and I feel so much better already. This diet works like nothing else and I'm determined to stick with it to get this weight off once and for all. Whether we all agree or not on everything really isn't important. We are all here to support each other to get where we need to go. Thanks to everyone for being here!
  • Quote:
    Linden I added an extra pack yesterday..today down from 178 to 176.5
    Perhaps that deserves smileys?
  • Quote: I would like to start moving. I am a self confessed sloth when it comes to exercise and with 10lbs off (give or take) my body feels like it would like to start moving.

I am thinking of walking, what has been your experience with this. I don't want to go crazy with exercise as I have fibromyalgia that I am hoping help with this diet, but going for a walk a few times a week should help right?
    I have fibromyalgia, too. And walking, even a little, does help. Funny thing is, once I get out I usually go more than a little if I can get through that first slogging through thick mud feeling.
  • MarionM: I totally agree with you on that! The chocolate walk? That is a cool name.

If I may address this: I see both sides totally but I do believe it is WRONG to make a person feel so badly that they feel absolutely worthless, don't you? Can't there be an easier way to direct the attention off of the big "C" word by saying there is a link? Everyday someone new will join these threads that is what this is suppose to be about is support!! I am sorry if I offend any of you, yes I did say I cheated and for that I apologize. Look at your posts, how many times did you say cheat? Or for that matter alternative products considering the site is IDEAL PROTEIN? I am totally fine with it, because I take the good that I get from each and everyone of you.

I guess I misunderstood what this thread was all about. I am signing off for the night but I want to leave this with you, I have only been on Ideal protein sight for a short time but have been a member of this site since 2008, and the message I received just a short time ago about how worthless one of the people felt was very saddening.