Just a vent...

• I just needed to vent for a second and didn't know who else to talk to other than you guys! You are always so supportive! Sorry if this sounds trivial!

So I have lost 68 pounds since March and overall I know thats great. However, the last month has been pretty stressful (my uncle died and I had to travel for the funeral, and a friend visited for a week), so my excersising kind of went to the way side. Well I track my weight on this other site and I just went to update it and realized that in the last month I have only last 4 pounds.

I know 4 pounds is better than nothing and good considering the circumstances but it just has me down you know! I still have atleast 60 more to lose and although I realize its not taking forever, it sure feels like it!

Plus it makes me nervous to realize that when life gets hectic I tend to not excersice like I should. The excersising is really the only thing helping me lose weight because my diet kinda sucks. I mean it works for me normally but what if life gets hectic again...for a long time?! Somehow I just can't find the extra energy those days to workout! I know there are plenty of you out there with crazy lives and you still manage to get into the gym....any hints or suggestions??
  • It's quite possible you're at that slow-down point...yes, all ready. It took me by great surprise that it happened when I still had so much to go! Right around 200 pounds my losses slowed to about 4 pounds a month on average.

You have to muster through. Four pounds in a month is that recommended 1-2 pounds per week. It's spot on.

I know it's frustrating...I've been there myself for a long time now.

As for suggestions? Keep up with whatever exercise you are doing and work on increasing intensity, not necessarily the time. (Quality not quantity). And unfortunately, losing weight really is about the diet. There's no way around it. You can not exercise off bad food choices or even too much of a healthy food. You've got to get that calorie deficit by not eating over budget.
  • See thats the problem....with the excersise I do keep in the calorie budget but without it I am eating too many. I have gotten spoiled I guess because I know that as long as I burn enough calories excersising I can eat. It has worked well for me so far, but like you said, I know it wouldnt work forever! I knew the slowdown was coming...just didnt think it would be this soon either!
  • Sounds to me like it's time to rein in the over spending of calories and get yourself a calorie budget to adhere to.

There's only so long you can out exercise overfeeding yourself.

You're lighter now and you are not going to burn calories in the same manner. The lighter we are, the less calories we burn exercising, and just doing ordinary stuff - like breathing.

Get the food in check. But please don't dread these changes. Look forward to them. Having control around food feels wonderful. And if you spend your (allotted) calories wisely you can get a LOT of food and delicious food too.

Once you get into the habit of eating well, and yes, that's what it mostly boils down to - habit, you get those habits in place, get them firmly entrenched in you - and there's no reason you will have, want to or choose to abandon them when stress, holidays, parties, boredom, anger, vacations or what not comes your way.