Can I try on my preserved wedding dress?

• My wedding dress is in a preserved box...except the film on top tore years ago and remained torn for several years before I finally taped it shut. So I use the term "preserved" loosely.

Do you think I could try it on without undoing the "preserved" part? My goal is to wear it on our 50th, like my grandmother did.

I threw out all my old clothes and really wish I'd kept something! I want to see if I really am back to where I was when we got married.
  • If the plastic tore then a lot of the benefit of the 'preserved' is already gone. I say try it on.

ETA - putting in a link to an article I just read about preserving gowns.
  • Awesome, thanks! Just envision me in my glory later this evening.
  • I have been needing to get mine preserved...but it is kind of nice to try it on. I was a big bride though, so I am hoping eventually it just eats me!! LOL I bet it will feel good to try it on though!
  • I'm glad you asked this. My gown is supposedly preserved, but it has yellowed a lot - and unevenly, and it's never been opened. Maybe I could use it to be Bride of Frankenstein this Halloween? I won't do that, but I'd love to try it on at least. Since mine wasn't fitted through the waist and was only really form-fitting through the bodice, it might just fit now (although my bosom is a bit more "womanly" ).

I say try it on!
  • I had my wedding dress 'preserved' from my first wedding as well, and it yellowed a little too, I think from the plastic packaging they put it in. I have learned that you often do better having it professionally cleaned and then store on your own in an acid free bag in a dark & cool place, that some places use chemicals for the preserving which are bad for it, others use plastic containers which are bad for the dresses. If I hadn't chucked it in the dumpster when I moved out from DH I would likely be unpacking it and storing it differently now...

Let us know how it fits Eliana!
  • Done! I felt like a little girl going through her mother's closet. I took my time, removed all dangers and touched it with kid gloves. It felt wrong taking it out of its box. LOL!

It fit...sort of. I couldn't zip it but I'm not sure if that's because it was too tight or if it was because I can't zip it by myself. But the waist and the arms fit beautifully! I think my rib cage might be bigger than it was back then but I can't be certain. You know how tight fitted dresses are like that so trying it on by myself isn't very realistic.

The only real difference is that my breasts are a bit lower. I'm too young for that! LOL! I was only 23 when I got married and of course I've since had two children.

All in all, I was shocked it fit as well as it did! I'm so glad to have something for comparison. I think in 20 pounds I'll be able to zip it up myself and then I think it will actually be too big!

Happy day!
  • What a great feeling, Eliana!!! If I ever visit my parents' house, I'll have to try on mine!