Canadian Thanksgiving

• It'll be our Thanksgiving in a few weeks - Oct. 11th. We normally celebrate with a big lunch on the Sunday before so that'll be the 10th of Oct. I was planning the menu with my sister last night and I naturally added a lot of low carb veggies - rapini, brussels sprouts, broccoli, rutabaga, salad....and she didnt put up a fuss - she actually liked it! I'm still making the mashed potatoes and yams for everyone else - they'll expect it.

My sister in law always makes the turkey and stuffing and I will admit...I LOVE stuffing but I'll steer clear of it this year. I have a goal in mind and each time I have to start Induction over, it puts me one step further from my goal.

How does everyone else handle the holidays?
  • Our Thanksgiving Day Menu ...

Breakfast: Frittata with peppers, onion, cheese, and bacon.

Lunch: Cauliflower & Cheese soup

Supper: roasted turkey, large salad
    Dessert: cheesecake

(it's just the three of us, so this year we'll go all-Atkins, non-traditional, and skip the potatoes, corn on the cob, fresh cranberries, apple pie & ice cream)
  • My favorite food around Thanksgiving is green bean casserole, so I'm planning on indulging a bit and having some. It's not as bad as eating bread or potatoes. Other than that I think we're going to add some Atkins-friendly foods so I don't have to stray too far from my plan...maybe a pot roast and some veggies (I don't like turkey.) I might also allow myself a piece of cheesecake for dessert.

I'm going to try to not get too worked up about it and stay on plan the best I can while not depriving myself. I'll definitely be steering clear of all of the bread and potatoes.
  • I always think that the mark of successful dieting ( or actually lifestyle change) is how we get through the holidays. (goes with my one year diet plan) Planning is my mantra. Will also make a low carb dessert as my treat, and otherwise will stick to turkey with lots of low carb veggies/salads.
    The other key is distraction. We will have game playing after the supper is done. So that will ensure we have some fun without food.
  • I am working but love turkey dinner so will be roasting a turkey breast and doing up some veggies to take to work. I am thinking green beans, mashed cauliflower, salad
  • I envy those of you who can eat low carb desserts. I can't do that. Splenda reacts in me just like sugar. I go on horrible carb binges afterwards. I'll try not to be tempted. It'll be hard but worth it at the end of the day.
  • Good ideas...
    Sounds like a great plan, Shells. I'm voting for turkey, lots of veggies too.

Simona, Splenda doesn't cause carb binges for me, but I think too much is a "stall" for me. And I tend to want too much of the dessert - it's the sweet taste that seems to make me crave more of something even artificially sweetened. Not surprising, since I've always had a raging "sweet tooth."

I don't know what I'm doing yet. My daughters may be vacationing in Barcelona (!) over Thanksgiving as their "birthday trip." Whatever I do, I won't be eating anything sweet. For me, it's the worst trigger EVER!

My favorite is Carolina cornbread dressing...I can eat a spoonful or two as long as I don't keep it in the house. Leftovers must be sent packing!