Maintainers Weekly Chat - Sept 27 - Oct 3

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Megan Good job! I guess all those psychic vibrations flying around over the internet helped?

I am probably losing another dog today, the one who's been with me the longest - 14+ years. I am very sad but I am very relieved for him. He so much wants for it all to end - the constant pain, the humiliation of not being able to even stand up by himself any more, the isolation (he's blind and deaf now).

He has now stopped eating. They haven't committed 100% to having him euthanized today but I really hope they do put this grand dog to rest. It has been past time for several months now and I find it harder and harder to watch him suffering.

He and I had some great times over the years and he was also one of the brattiest dogs I ever walked when he was younger. I'm going to give him a big hug and several kisses today, a final parting piece of dried liver (which he still accepts from me), and I'll tell him what a good boy he's been all this time (even though he can't hear my voice any more).

Tonite, instead of eating my way through a bag of cookies I'm going to get a big box of tissues and just have a good cry. I hardly ever express sadness this way and I think it's time I started doing it more. I will look all weird and puffy tomorrow but so what?

Have a great Friday all!

Dagmar
  • Sending supportive thoughts, Dagmar, as you grieve the loss of "this grand dog." May his keepers find the way to let him go soon.
  • My thoughts are with you today Dagmar, that is a hard situation. It gave me a nice cry reading about it. It is so hard to let go sometimes, and I hate watching animals suffer that way. I hope that his family finds a way to let go peacefully.

Megan - glad we were there for you yesterday! You guys have been with me this week, too. Every night when I want a junky snack and reach for my yogurt instead... We rock.

Good day yesterday, feeling good this morning, looking forward to a good weekend. DSS & I are solo tonight (last minute schedule change and DH was already committed to another event.) He has gotten red two days this week at school (worst possible behaviour sanction), and his mom says he was 'in a mood' this morning. I'm preparing myself for having to hang him by his ankles in his room all night.

Good weekend everyone!
  • Hugs to you Dagmar. You have lost so many dogs recently. It must be so hard.

I took my Doberman, Ozzie, to the vet yesterday. In July, I had taken him in for a teeth cleaning and the vet said she noticed major irregularities when listening to his heart. She didn't clean his teeth (didn't want to put him under) and I brought him back yesterday for a followup. She still heard the irregularities which means he has a heart problem (cardiomyopathy- sp). She said he may just die in his sleep with no symptoms whatsoever or he could develop symptoms and then decline. It is a death sentence but the time is uncertain-- she said it could be 6 months to a year or possibly up to several years. He is 8. I am a little melancholy about it. He has been a sweet dog (he loves me and smiles and sneezes every time I come home) but he has never been quite right. He was the runt of the litter and if he was a child, I am sure he would be diagnosed with ADHD, autism, and possibly a few other diagnoses. What makes me the most sad is that my Great Dane, Jozi, is almost 7 and Danes don't live very long, so I'm realizing I may not have much time left with either of my two babies. I talked to dh last night and when Ozzie goes (and possibly Jozi) we may raise a service dog. We raised two of them when we lived in Houston and it was a very rewarding experience. It is a huge commitment of time and energy so we couldn't do it with the two dogs (not to mention we have a small house!). I will be done with my masters after this semester and younger dd goes to college in a year and a half so it may help us with "empty-nesters syndrome". I brought the other puppies to my work (school library) but I'd have to ask my new principal if I could bring them here. Sigh.... the hard part about having pets.

This has been the longest week I can remember in a very long time. Yesterday was a difficult day at work for me. I am glad it is the weekend even though dh just left again for two weeks and I am swamped still with my school work and other work.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • Sending lots of to our dog caregivers and owners.

And I will see you all... at the end of October! I might bring my computer, but it's mainly for my iPod. I'm not planning on checking any email or anything. Have a good October everybody!
  • Dagmar -

Megan, have fun!
  • another one gone
    After 15 1/2 years of life the "grand old man" was euthanized last night. His body just gave out and he was ready to go.

I walked this golden retriever for over 14 years. It's no easier to let them go when they are old and fragile, even though you know it's the best thing for them.

I will miss him.

Dagmar
  • R.I.P. "Grand Old Man" after a full 108.5 equivalent human years you've earned your passage to the other side.
  • What a long life for a big dog. So sad and sorry for you and this loss Dagmar. I will give all of my four legged children a hug and a kiss today.
  • My golden lived to 15 1/2 as well. In the end, we knew it was time. Now with a Lab that is at least 16, the time will come soon, but for now he's happy and can still walk.

We've had the nicest couple of days of rain. At first they said it would only be cloudy and humid and hot, but it sprinkled Tues and Wed with full rains Thurs, Fri and today. It is such a nice change of pace. Makes me want to curl up with a good book, but I've got errands to run this morning.

Not much going on here, just waiting for the end of next week when my in-laws return for the winter. I'm getting my hair cut on Tuesday and can't wait. I'm so ready for a cut with less maintenance.