IP Daily Chat - Wednesday 9/22/2010

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: Well today is gloomy so off to drink something...........
    I do hope that was non-alcoholic?
  • Quote: Showgirlaz..... WOW thanks for taking the time to write back to me in such detail. I "test drove" IP around this time last year for a few weeks and then actually followed the protocol in the spring on this year but budget is definitely and issue because I am a college student. I had completely forgotten that I was supposed to be having a 3rd packet a day. I drink the EAS edge carb control shakes from Wal-Mart because they are very comparable in nutritional value to IP (not nearly as good but I had to sacrifice something and it wasn't going to be money). I wonder if having 7.5 oz of protein a day instead of that third packet would be alright. Assuming I eat a protein low in fat... I use sparkpeople.com to track my daily food intake values. I figure as long as I am staying within the carb, fat, and calorie intake values for the day and no having any sugar then I am good to go... ideas??
    Are you getting (given your weight) 80-90 grams of protein a day, counting what you get in lettuce and vegetables?
  • Quote: Super excited for tonight...it's my BF birthday. Grilling steaks and IP reg. veggies. Making homemade ice cream for THEM....but I am saving my 4th packet for dessert! Now, do I want Choc/hazelnut? Cheesecake?? Custard Cream? Rasp Jello? OHHHHHHH, the choices!!!!!!!!
    Happy,slightly belated, birthday. You sure are doing well.
  • Quote: I have a question for everyone... usually my typical eating plan for the day is : 1 shake for breakfast, 1 shake for lunch, 2 cups veges, 5 oz. protein for dinner with 2 more cups veges.. but I always get really hungry between lunch and dinner I feel like (I hate the vegies i'm eating so I think this may be playing tricks on my mind) so yesterday I had a shake for breakfast and then half my dinner protein for lunch with 2 cups veggies and then 5 more oz. of protein for dinner with 2 more cups for dinner instead of my other shake just to see what would happen. I'm a daily weigher and noticed this morning that I had lost 2 lbs. over night where as this week I've only been averaging .5 to 1 lb a day since completely restarting IP on Sunday. Do you think this was a coincidence? I'd much rather have more meaty protein a day than a shake. IP food gets so expensive!
    Basically, it sounds like you moved to Phase 2 (almost) except you would have had a full 5 ounces of meat in Phase 2. Rather than moving to Phase 2 too soon, why not have a big salad between lunch and dinner to curb your hunger? Or maybe pickles or clelery sticks and Walden Farms peanut butter spread for dipping? Plus be sure to have that final protein snack after dinner. If you think the IP products are too expensive, substitute something else. I use NOW whey protein isolate in natural unflavored. (Be sure to use an isolate.) One fourth of a cup equals 19 grams of protein. I get mine from netrition.com.

Quote: Hi everyone! I was looking over the alternative IP plan and it should be very easy to do even if I have a slower loss- that's ok I am getting down.. I will check with my coach monday when I weigh in about starting this alternate plan..

I had a coffee w skim milk and an IP bar today for breakfast at 8am.. By noon had to take 2 advil for headache. For lunch had 2 oz tuna with tiny bit of walden farms dressing on it and 2 cups romaine lettuce w/ light drizzle EVOO.. Then I had IP mushroom soup. ( no splenda in this!!) yes, many glasses of ice water in between!! Tonight I will have 3 oz turkey breast in 2 cups cooked veggies and IP pudding for later with tea.. I keep drinking ice water to flush out headache.. I am watching if everytime i have a packet or bar with splenda, if the head starts aching.....
    so far..yup!
    I notice you're light on your turkey--should be 5 oz. rather than 3. Sorry about your migraines. I have had a migraine every day for the last week so I can empathize with you. Have you tried Excedrin? It works great for me, but I can't take it at night if I want to sleep at all.
  • Quote: Hi everyone! I was looking over the alternative IP plan and it should be very easy to do even if I have a slower loss- that's ok I am getting down.. I will check with my coach monday when I weigh in about starting this alternate plan..

I had a coffee w skim milk and an IP bar today for breakfast at 8am.. By noon had to take 2 advil for headache. For lunch had 2 oz tuna with tiny bit of walden farms dressing on it and 2 cups romaine lettuce w/ light drizzle EVOO.. Then I had IP mushroom soup. ( no splenda in this!!) yes, many glasses of ice water in between!! Tonight I will have 3 oz turkey breast in 2 cups cooked veggies and IP pudding for later with tea.. I keep drinking ice water to flush out headache.. I am watching if everytime i have a packet or bar with splenda, if the head starts aching.....
    so far..yup!
    Are you sure you're getting enough protein??
  • Hello IPers
    It is so nice to read this forum. It is encouraging to know that you guys are out there.

Today I have had a head ach and been tired. I have been flowing protocol so I don't know if I just need a nap or if I am geting sick. Will see how I feel tomorrow.

Everyone keep up the great work.
  • Quote: Showgirlaz..... WOW thanks for taking the time to write back to me in such detail. I "test drove" IP around this time last year for a few weeks and then actually followed the protocol in the spring on this year but budget is definitely and issue because I am a college student. I had completely forgotten that I was supposed to be having a 3rd packet a day. I drink the EAS edge carb control shakes from Wal-Mart because they are very comparable in nutritional value to IP (not nearly as good but I had to sacrifice something and it wasn't going to be money). I wonder if having 7.5 oz of protein a day instead of that third packet would be alright. Assuming I eat a protein low in fat... I use sparkpeople.com to track my daily food intake values. I figure as long as I am staying within the carb, fat, and calorie intake values for the day and no having any sugar then I am good to go... ideas??
    Be careful using EAS exclusively. I don't know which of their products, maybe someone else can say, has a hi cadmium level which is not recommended. It was reported in a recent consumer report.

If you have meat or poultry the portion for a "dinner" is 5oz. You may substitute for a packet real protein in the portion of 3oz tuna or low fat fish, 2oz chicken or lean meat, or 2 whole eggs, or 3 egg white and 1 whole egg.

Try to keep you calories, protein, fat as close as possible to that of a packet. To really succeed at this, it is probably best to follow the suggestion made by Bev S about using a protein drink substitute.

In some respect you are right in your assumptions BUT, you forget this is about getting the IDEAL AMOUNT of PROTEIN in your diet. The controlled calories, low carbs, low fat are all part of the diet to promote loss of fat and balancing of insulin but, you MUST have the protein to stay healthy and keep your muscle in good condition. Don't forget to keep an eye on your protein too. Like Linden mentions.. you need about 80 or so grams of protein a day.

Quote: Hi everyone! I was looking over the alternative IP plan and it should be very easy to do even if I have a slower loss- that's ok I am getting down.. I will check with my coach monday when I weigh in about starting this alternate plan..

so far..yup!
    Is there a reason you are splitting your protein for lunch and dinner? I see you have 1 restricted bar, a soup, and a pudding planned today. I also see 2 oz tuna and 3 oz turkey. That is not the same as 7oz fish or 5oz meat. You will be a little short on your "real" protein today if you do that.
  • I tried searching for this answer but haven't found it. Is Edamame allowed or allowed and restricted?

My weigh in was very little as expected. I watch my scale every day or so and it really hasn't moved in most of this past week. Coach said 10 lbs and 14 inches is good for 3 weeks but with following the plan I am expecting lots more. Had a rough week and maybe didn't get enough veggies in daily as Ketosis is making me not hungry and I'm forcing myself to eat. Fighting the big C too so might be abit of the issue. Got my food and had treated my self to a massage so hopefully with a relaxed body comes a relaxed mind and try harder this week.

Wishing I could fast forward the weeks so I can say I did it.
  • Good evening IP friends. Guess what! Today I was called "skinny." I cannot remember the last time someone said that about me. It was a pleasant surprise. I know that I still have pounds to lose, but it sure was nice to hear that today!
  • Linden: You are funny! I had a peach Mango drink its just been gloomy here in wyoming today! I am ready for some warm weather again, oh I forgot I live in Wyoming.
  • Quote: Basically, it sounds like you moved to Phase 2 (almost) except you would have had a full 5 ounces of meat in Phase 2. Rather than moving to Phase 2 too soon, why not have a big salad between lunch and dinner to curb your hunger? Or maybe pickles or clelery sticks and Walden Farms peanut butter spread for dipping? Plus be sure to have that final protein snack after dinner. If you think the IP products are too expensive, substitute something else. I use NOW whey protein isolate in natural unflavored. (Be sure to use an isolate.) One fourth of a cup equals 19 grams of protein. I get mine from netrition.com.

I notice you're light on your turkey--should be 5 oz. rather than 3. Sorry about your migraines. I have had a migraine every day for the last week so I can empathize with you. Have you tried Excedrin? It works great for me, but I can't take it at night if I want to sleep at all.
    Oh boy! I was told 5oz of lean protein total for the day by my coach.. I didn't realize it's 7 oz if you eat fish!!!!! Thank you! thank You! I read thru Linden and Carla's posts- thanks gals!! I was NOT eating enough protein this whole time!!! I sometimes split my protein trying to get more fish into my diet ( for the omegas) ...my Cat likes a little TUNA treat as I open the can and drain the water out...she watches as if to say" for me???"

It's funny to say but when I started this plan I thought how am I stay full? I have no problem staying full.. I am full all the time.. esp with all the water !!!!

The excedrin kills my stomach and doesn't help my headache..my migraines are "inherited genetically" I was doing great avoiding all the triggers that effect me ( some cheeses/ some foods/msg/food additives/articial sweetners/not enough sleep/stress/ etc) When the barometric pressure changes- wow my head aches.. we are gonna get rain after 11pm tonight. I take prescription relpax and advil liquid gel caps with it with food.. Then I get the 'migraine hangover".. very drowsy/ sleepy/ stupid..lol I only take it when I know I am staying home...

I baked pumpkin oatmeal cookies for family/ coworkers- they will love them. No desire to taste them... remember, I love fresh bread not sweets!! Now that's NOT allowed in my home!
  • Ciebelle

Cucumbers and celery are vegetables, not extras.
  • Ok I'm having some PMS cravings.... the chocolate I can do.. but I want a snickerdoodle! I thought I saw a recipe for cookies on here somewhere.. but I believe it was oatmeal? I'll keep looking but if anyone knows of a way to do a sugar cookie of some kind I would appreciate it!
  • Quote: Linden: You are funny! I had a peach Mango drink its just been gloomy here in wyoming today! I am ready for some warm weather again, oh I forgot I live in Wyoming.
  • Quote: About eating food out of order, my coach said to eat the food at the times the plan said. I try to but some days it is difficult to because of being out at a restaurant and stuff, but I try to get all the stuff in that they say.
    I am now going on a rant.

Eat the protocol, but eat it when you feel like it. Some coaches say you can split up the vegetables, some say you can eat your 5 oz of meat at lunch, some say you don't have to eat lettuce, some say you can have restricted on day one, some say you can have restricted on week 3, etc.

I am going solely on my history, BUT -- I've been on IP for 10 weeks and have lost 32 pounds -- an average of 3.2 pounds a week -- and some days I eat all of my 4 cups of vegetables at dinner, some days I don't eat any lettuce at lunch, and in 10 weeks, I have not had ANY restricted items.

I have to do this MY way, but while still getting all my vegetables, protein and packets in.