September Chat

You're on Page 5 of 9
Go to
  • Ruth We all do crazy things. I ate peanuts late last night. Just got hungry for them, but as we know they are not a think we can eat just a serving. Well, I usually can if I count them out, but I didn't so ate way more than should have. Plus I can never eat them or anything else after 9ish. So my number was 113 mg/dl. I was so upset with me because my numbers have been being <110 when I stop with my stirfry/protein before 9. I guess we live and learn.

Got up this morning and had a 1 egg omlet with Canadian Bacon, slice of cheese in a light wrap. Tore some of the wrap off to get the carbs down to around 7g. I figure I will use the formula or close to the formula of 6-12-12, but modify it. I've already give up oatmeal because it caused such a drastic raise in BS. Going to do a 2 hr BS reading to see if I did okay with the wrap. If it didn't raise it much, I'll make that my morning breakfast.

Have a great day.
  • Hi everyone
    Hope everyone is having a good week.

I dropped another 2 lbs down to 147 and it was 147 2 days in a row so maybe I can count it. The only thing I can say is that not knowingly I have eaten South Beach for the past 4 days now. So maybe that has given me a bit of a jump start again.

Tues & Wed of the week my FBS were 96 and was 101 this morning. Bedtime sugars were 88 and 94. Pretty good I think. Guess it has to do with the no carb thing.

Anyway today has been rough on the wanting to eat thing. I also have been really crabby with the DH. He's getting on my nerves right now. Don't know if that means TOM is coming again or what. If it does then out goes the test at the dr's office. Guess just have to wait and see........

Trish I really thing if we could go more with Dr. Berstein's approach we would see lower BS numbers but I so miss oatmeal especially with the cooler weather coming on..........

Madeline How is the no splenda thing going. Hope well.

Rosebud Have you heard the results on DH cat scan yet? Also wish you could share pics of your cabin. It sound's heavenly.

Ruth I don't know if we ever learn. Speaking of liver. I remember having to eat it as a child and we would cut it up as tiny as possible, drown it in ketchup and then I would swallow it like a pill with milk. Still today you could not get me to touch it.

Leann
  • Leann CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the 2 lb loss. I also have to see a lower weight for a few days before I'm sure it is real. Must be a diabetic thing for the lbs to bounce around between a lb or 2. It sure is for me any way. I've been seeing a lower #, but not consistantly which means it is coming but not real yet. I can't or don't want to go totally no carbs either. I am working to keep within Dr. Bernsteins' 6-12-12 formula, but I believe that as long as I stay within the carb grams the way he says that it will work just as well for me. Of course, the FBS/BS readings will tell if I'm right.

Ruth & Leann Years ago when my the children were little, WW insisted we had to eat liver once a week. We ate it once a week until one day as we were getting ready to go to the store, my youngest son gave a sad look and said, "Mommy do we have to have liver this week?" I don't think I ever fixed it for the kids again. When my grandchildren came along, I tried giving it to them (not as often)... fixed it every way possible, but they just couldn't go it. Now days, I wonder how healthy it is since it filters toxins from the body. Still like it, but don't eat it very often. I find it hard to find good liver.

Have a great evening.
  • hey
    Had some splenda today. Ate really well yesterday at my meetings and at supper with the kids. BUt when I finally got home, I rested a bit, but got called out to work. GOt home @ 330am, just a few hours of sleep before office this morning. So I started the day with a protein smoothie, and my protein powder has splenda in it.
    No weight loss. Going off call for a few days, so will rest lots and get some exercise in.
    I am seriously thinking of "stopping" with attempts toward weight loss until the end of the month, go up the carb ladder just enough not to gain, and then go back to induction in October when I am off call and can exercise a lot.
    Gonna train for either a mini cross country race or biathalon for January, give myself a fitness goal.
    I'm ok with where I am now, I got below 170, which was a big deal for me. I will fold my hand while I am ahead. I am NOT behind, and NOT losing ground. THis is all good.
  • RUTH ~ my mother's favorite way to prepare liver is to fry a bit bacon in a pan; set bacon aside. Dredge in a little flour with S & P and cook it in the fat of bacon with some onion slices; put the bacon back in and heat. My siblings still hated it even though that is nice, so I tried something -- I put season-all (or you can use Seasoned-Salt) in the flour (a good tbl for sure) and then fry it in oil. I prefer to use the thin slices and cook them until they are crisp on the outside, yet soft in the middle. I had so many compliments from my family and customers when I worked as a cook for that method. The secret is the seasoning!!!

LEANN ~ no, we haven't heard anything yet; I supposed we will hear from them eventually ... I have posted a picture of our camper, but our cabin is just started -- we only have the porch done. I wish we had done more this year, but it just wasn't possible in the spring. My DAD was so distraught over his youngest brother's illness (he passed away while my Dad was here); and the Dad got sick with a flu too (he is much better now). Also, we have limited funds but hope to have enuff by next spring to finish the shell. The area is very nice and peaceful; but our little cottage has a long way to go yet. I will take picks at that time and show them for sure.

We had lovely today and temps in the 60's which is a lot nicer; supposed to be the same tomorrow. We may go out to our lot and I'll take a picture of that double lawnchair while I'm there. I did get some pics of our bright red crabapples on our little tree.

I did much better with my eating the last couple of days. Had roast chicken with piles of veggies for dinner. Hope you all have a fab Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud

----------------------------------

BTW, the day we went to the city for the test; I was very clever and packed us up a small cooler with healthy snacks and water for me (pop for DH). I wondered if I should make some sandwiches, but thought, "no, we can just pick something up somewhere" ... NOT!

Big mistake! Those who fail to plan, plan to fail! So we couldn't find anything and were getting so hungry; so I send DH to get us something to eat ... and we ended up having cheese nachos for our lunch.

Thank goodness, I had a light breakfast and then got right back on track for dinner and I'm sure I didn't go over my maintenance calories for the day, but lesson learned. I have informed DH that from now on -- HE DOES NOT BUY CHEESE NACHOS FOR ME ANYMORE even if I ask him to!!! Now, I hope this will end the self-sabotage ...
  • Fatmad I didn't realize you were doing Induction while being so busy. I think being busy and unable to rest as you should probably should not be a time to do Induction. So I think your decision to wait is wise. And I think you've done very well under the circumstances.

Rosebud The liver dish sounds really good. I will have to try it. I look forward to seeing your pics. Congratulations on the way you handled the nacho cheese situation and for getting right back on plan. You should be pleased with yourself for the accomplishment.
  • Madeline I agree. Sometimes we just need to back off a bit and take a breather. Especially if you are so busy you can't think straight. I think maybe this will help with not just blowing it altogether but being more in control of things.

Rosebud I didn't realize that you were just starting on the cabin. Guess I need to pay closer attention. I totally understand the money thing and I think it is better to do what you can than to go further in debt due to the economy like it is. Looking forward to any pics..........

FBS today was 95. Weight was down another lb to 146. Today will make day 5 of south beach phase one. I am liking what I am seeing. That makes 4 lbs since Sunday. But I know that if I throw a carb in there that it will stall the weight loss. So I guess I have to make a choice. Funny it's not so much the weight loss that I am excited about but the blood sugar.

Going to turn in some applications today. Had to fill out 1 application for every position that I am applying for at the hospital. Pick up some medicines for me and DH. Then come back and pick up granddaughter from school. They get out early today. Hair cut this afternoon. Looks like it will be a busy day. So where do I fit exercise in there. After supper?

Anyways have a good day
    Taking one day at a time
    Leann
  • Controlling The Dawn Phenomenon
    Good afternoon Ladies

This is a quick flyby, but I wanted to share something I thought y'all would be interested in reading on David Mendosa's website I found. The book I'm reading by Gretchen Becker. In this blog, he discusses Controlling the Dawn Phenomenon and I'm sure y'all will find it interesting. I'm going to try the vinegar one and see how it helps me. I think he explains it better than I can.

You will find it at http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=232

Catch y'all later.
  • Hello, everyone! So sorry I haven't been keeping up. Soccer has started around here an between practice and games and cooking and homework, it is just too much. I've still been getting some wacky readings. Trish, I heard about using vinegar. I just can't stand the taste of it. Ugh! I've been putting cinnamon in my yogurt. It's supposed to work, too. Grapefruit is also supposed to be beneficial. I don't like that, either. I've been having 2 oz. with breakfast. A shot size is all I can handle. LOL
  • Trish I have noticed that when I do a homemade oil and vinegar dressing I have better readings the rest of the day. It sure can't hurt you.

thecandEs I take cinnamon capsules twice a day. Don't know if they help or not. I wish I could do the grapefruit. I love it but it goes against some of my medications.

Got my 3 applications turned in today. Stopped by the Rescue Mission which is kinda like the Good Will only cheaper and found 2 Leslie Sansone Video's for 50 cents a piece. She is who I exercise to. I have not looked at them yet to make sure they play or not.

Stayed on track biggest part of this week. Doing no carb. Except tonight I had about 1/3 cup of chili and 1/4 of a grilled cheese sandwich on low carb bread. Exercised every day since this past Sunday. Not to bad I think.

Have a good weekend
    Leann
  • Hi, Chickies. I'm plugging along, trying to be mindful. That super-low of 2.7 on Thursday morning scared me.

Today will have some challenges: I'm meeting my sister for lunch which should be OK and then have a "shore dinner" at my friend Barb's place. It's her birthday and there will be cake, however, they DO have a friendly moocher of a dog so ... I'll do the diet gingerale thing to avoid wine - it worked last weekend although I don't want the artificial sweeteners.

Have a good weekend, EveryChick!
  • We had a busy day at our camper/lot yesterday; got lots of exercise in using my new battery-operated weed whacker, but I was so sore last night and this AM. Now I need the weekend to recupe ... do I every learn. I really have to learn to pace myself better, but I had never done this before and I was just so amazed at how good it worked. I did takes lots of breaks though, but I will take it a bit easier next time for sure.

Have been eating much better for the week; having a few cravings tonight and trying to battle them. Seems to be chocolate tonight -- so I had a NSA low-cal chocolate pudding and a few very small mini-squares of 85% dark chocolate for my dessert tonight; hope that works for me. Time for some tea now ... that usually help too.

I went to that site and they also recommend 5 oz red wine with dinner; I think RUTH already knew that trick. I wonder though -- is it the cheese or the vinegar that brings down the numbers. If I just have cheese in the evening, my fasting blood sugars are lower in the morning too. I have to watch the vinegar, as it can irritate my stomach.

Hope you all have a great weekend ... Rosebud
  • Hi, everyone! I'm doing another flyby because I'm ready for bed. I just wanted to share what just happened to me. I saw a picture of myself on my church website, and get this, it's from behind! OMG! I know I'm fat, but that picture is horrendous! I easily have the biggest butt in the room! Granted, I've lost about 15 pounds since it was taken, but still. I think I'm gonna go cry.
  • Quote: Madeline I agree. Sometimes we just need to back off a bit and take a breather. Especially if you are so busy you can't think straight. I think maybe this will help with not just blowing it altogether but being more in control of things.

Anyways have a good day
    Taking one day at a time
    Leann
    thanks Leann and everyone for your support. I don't know why I was concerned and worried there would be criticism about it.
    And you are right Leanne, I am eating well, and getting about 40 g carbs/day, just not induction levels. In fact, Atkins is becoming quite engrained. Went out for supper last night, stuck to plan. Hosted a dinner party tonight and stuck to plan. Even while preparing the food, I didn't even taste the carb stuff that was part of the menu for everyone else.
    Not really tempted. I am not having big cravings, except for sweets, and that is mostly manageable. Also, re the dinner party, after supper, we cleared the table and played a game, (settlers of cataan) and had a great time, just visiting, playing etc. It was great to have a good time not really centred around food. Although the dinner was the excuse to get together, and I did put a good meal on, I didn't feel like the food was the focus.
    THis is SO important to our long term ability to manage our eating and weight.
  • Good morning. I've decided I need to set smaller goals - like not gaining after an event like the shore dinner and keeping the BGL stable. Being less than 191 for my Italy trip is probably not going to happen but I'll be OK with that.

I imagine not gaining over the holiday will be practically impossible! What ever possessed me to sign up for a "foodie" holiday!

The shore dinner last night was just awful - potatoes, macaroni salad, breaded fish, rolls and apple pie! I just picked away before ditching my plate and used being diabetic as an excuse to turn down the pie.

"One piece won't hurt you."
    "Yes, it will."
    "My brother is diabetic and eats it all the time."
    "Have you ever dealt with someone in a diabetic coma?"

That ended that conversation.

Today is clean and pure eats including a bowl of my yummy clam chowder for lunch - 2 oz of potato only!