Primal/Paleo-ish in September

You're on Page 7 of 16
Go to
  • Hello!

Long weekend, and Oh so tired today.

Sandy: no I am not a nurse, nor am I a caterer. BUT I used to have my own catering business when the kids were little and I do it now and then for friends (in other words for free LOL) For my real work (of which I came today to get some rest) I work at a Staffing company that places people in long term and short term jobs. Basically, I hire and fire all day and do payroll for 130 peeps once a week. I have been doing this for 10 years, and the average life span in my position industry wide is 6 months, just goes to show ya I am incredibly slow to come around! (it is considered one of the higher stress jobs)
    But I do thrive when things are busy and chaotic.

Anyway, long story short, my weekend was slammed with the reheasal dinner on Saturday and the wedding on Sunday. My back is killing me and I had leg cramps all night long, and funny thing is they were not in my calf or my foot, the were on the top of my leg, just to the outside of my shin, is that not weird or what!

I did have a sliver of cake yesterday, and I had a spoon of pesto with noodles, other than that it was salad, so really no protien, and not enough water. Today my joints all ache, beside my legs where I had the cramps. SO when I am done with this coffee I am hitting the water and then the herbal tea trying to flush this crud out of my system.

I have a new "life group" starting this week, where about 20 of us from my church will meet and practice worship music together. I am really looking forward to this. It will be immediatly after work, so hubby will get food prepared for this, There will be a pot of soup (vegetarian) and then salads and bread..........hmmmmm going to have to beef up on lunch that day huh?
    And Friday I leave for a business meeting and return late Saturday, Dinner Friday we can do Red Robin and I can go low carb and high protien and fat, but Continental breakfast will be quite the challenge, and hotel served lunch usually is a salad, a protien and some carbs....then we will be driving home (4 hours) and will have to stop for something that is for sure. I am just hoping this does not get me too far off course, this weekend really through me, I should just let it go but it is bothering me, all for some pasta that was not all that great, and a piece of cake that was YUCKY

Anyone else into beating themselves up?
  • Yea, I'm beating myself up.... Too many carbs yesterday put a 3# gain in 1 day ...

Today back to routine, yet again... So far so good

Food today:
    • IF until 10:30, yogurt with a piece of olive oil cake I made yesterday and blueberries -- which DH did not like at all, and he's usually not picky at all... I love it and my parents loved it too...
    • salmon and BAS with piece of cake, I have to get rid of it, no one likes it
  • OMG - I won the Primal Library prize in one of the MDA contests. I don't think I have ever won anything this nice before. That is the good news, now the bad news, I have 4 out of the 6 books already. I didn't tell them that as I have a son I would like to convert and the books will make a great gift!

I have to send in a picture when I get my books. That should be a laugh. I hope it takes them a long time to arrive. I will definitely dress up for the event!

I am so excited.....
  • How exciting! That is one of the ones I wanted to Win!
  • Sandy Congrats!!
  • I'm with you Sandy, I never win anything! And like you, I have family who needs those books. You'll find good use for them, I'm sure. Congratulations!
  • Greetings! I hope you don't mind if I join you?

I am Maddie (real orginal username huh?!) and while I didn't start out doing the primal diet...it sure looks like I am inadvertently following it. I was diagnosed with an overabundance of yeast (candida) and my doctor put me on an anti-candida diet. As I have allergies to dairy....it really limits what I can eat. Basically I have been eating meat/fish, seeds/nuts and LOTS of veggies. I was allowed one carb a day but for the past week or so I have totally forgot about eating carbs....and not miss them! YAY!!

I have been with 3FC for 20 days (just got my siggie option today!) and usually post with the 40-somethings...and while they are a great bunch...my diet is kinda way out there for them. kwim?

I loved the link in the very first post! I have spent the past 2 hours reading through a lot of the site. Most things I agree with 100%...now the hard part is to convince hubby and oldest daughter...youngest daughter is on track. lol

Nice meeting you!
    Maddie
  • Checking in with 22 carbs today. Had the grandkiddies today so that always wears me out but you know not as much as it used to. I remember going to the grocery store squatting down to get something off the bottom shelf and then not being able to get up. I would look around to find something to grab onto hoping that the whole shelving unit would not fall down .

Now I can go down and up with no issues, could be from walking and could be from eating Primal or both. I am up and down with the kids as well as up and down stairs. Their playroom is in the lower level.

I hope to hit 161 tomorrow.... I was 162.0 today. All I need is .1

Come on bod. Release the Grease.
  • Welcome Maddie

Sandy your comment : "Come on bod. Release the Grease." cracked me right up.... sounds like you're really doing well...

Today I made a cabbage soup, it's getting cooler here and it's soup time ... I don't know how many carbs I had today but it wasn't much...I can feel it...
  • I remember going to the grocery store squatting down to get something off the bottom shelf and then not being able to get up. I would look around to find something to grab onto hoping that the whole shelving unit would not fall down

But I just thought I was getting old ... thought it was perfectly natural

Welcome Maddie! You're in good company here. Is there anybody who started weight loss/good health pursuit with Primal Blueprint? Mine was a very long and winding road.

Do you all want to do a thread about how we got here? Maybe someday if we have our own section here at 3FC, it'll be a sticky!
  • Thanks for the welcome!

Weighed in this morning and I am down...yay...a total of 9.2 pounds in 3 weeks. I cannot believe the amount of energy I have and of course that influences my outlook on life. Who knew that carbs (expecially the "good" grains) could make you feel so crappy over a long period of time?

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • Quote: Maybe someday if we have our own section here at 3FC, it'll be a sticky!
    I was always wondering. What do we have to do to be sticky? It seems like we have a great discussion going...
  • Quote: I was always wondering. What do we have to do to be sticky? It seems like we have a great discussion going...
    I've asked and we need to be a bit bigger group... maybe in time
  • well crap...all along I thought the purpose of being here was to become smaller!
  • Quote: well crap...all along I thought the purpose of being here was to become smaller!
    Again, where's the "like" button?

Just to make everyone feel a whole lot better for whatever teeny cheats you may have had this week... here's a whopper. No, really, I ate a WHOPPER!! From Burger King! UGH! The funeral service for the mom who was murdered (strong word, but yes, she was murdered) was tonight. I ended up with three hys-ter-i-cal girls in my car (students who had no ride to the funeral), and I promised them food afterward -- their choice, BK. Now, I do not eat fast food -- almost never. I can't tell you the last time I was inside a BK. I had not eaten since 11am, I was starving, so I got a Whopper (planning on taking the bread off). Well, you just can't take the bread off a whopper -- it's oozing, gooey, and the bread is stuck to the meat anyway. So I ate it. Every bite of doughy bread. And I don't feel too bloated or bad - yet.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I already know I'm not going to weigh for a couple days.

The funeral was tough -- my heart just breaks for the loss of such a beautiful woman and for the 3 children left.