~~September Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 3 of 14
Go to
  • Good Morning, Everyone & Happy Labor Day,

No special plans. Did my 90 minutes at the gym. It is so beautiful today, I may also take a walk on the canal.

Dinner was DELICIOUS - had chicken cacciatore - not bad calorie-wise. We saw the movie Get Low with Robert Duval, Sissy Spacek, and others. VERY good acting & an interesting premise.

I think I will do some meal preparation today. Get out some recipes, so shopping...

Have a good day everyone,

Lynn
  • Happy Labor Day everyone!
    I had a great week-end, Saturday I baked a huge batch of Molasses Crinkle top cookies for DH that are the best in the world, no kidding.
    Remember when Bill Clinton took a hit off marijuana but didn't inhale? That's what I did with one molasses cookie, I stuffed the whole cookie in my mouth, chewed it up, savored it, then promply spit it out in the toilet. Speaking of spitting things out, Yesterday I went to GS's baseball game and everyone eats sunflower seeds at these games. I don't know if that's a local thing or all ballparks spit out hulls from sunflowers. Anyway, 1/4 cup (30 grams) has 190 calories, outrageous! I measured out 1/2 serving and put in a zip snack bag and was content to eat just that. I also brought with for a special treat a box of cracker jacks. I wouldn't have thought to buy those but the gal from the Prevention magazine was on one of the morning talk shows telling us the best choices for ball games. The popcorn isn't even a healthy choice with all the oil/butter on it. She said cracker jacks was the best choice because it only has 120 calories per box. It was delicious and the prize was stupid but fun. Something you cut out and wrap around a pencil to make it look like a worm was inching around it, duh.
    I'm making my chicken soup this morning with our left over chicken. One of our late apple trees is shedding it's apples so might have to do something with them.
    I cooked some raisins in a batch last week and had it over vanilla yogurt and Fiber One cereal for breakfast this morning, yum!
    Time to get my day started, have a good one.
  • Good Morning, All!
    Bobbi, I want to come and live with you and become 500# within a month! Your food descriptions make me drool... You must have a very happy DH!!

I had a little tree planted today, because my front lawn burns up every summer. It's a Redspire Flowering Pear (non-fruit producing), blossoms in the spring, green in the summer, and burgundy (yes, burgundy!!) in the fall. The two young men who planted it were lovely! I really love young men, especially when they're hardworking, responsible, polite, and, yes, too cute!

Hope you're all having a good weekend. PT/Zoe, did Earl miss you? It looked like it, for the most part... But this new one doesn't look all that good for TX... Hermoine or something? What happened to F and G???? Guess they pooped out.

Anyway, enjoy......... Everyone, be safe!

• Donna...you wouldn't gain 500 pounds if you lived with us, I cook really lean. I use Pam butter spray for most sauteing, use all fat free products like Miracle whip, sour cream, milk, cottage cheese, anything available in fat free. I don't buy any junk food, dh does like grahm crackers and oyster crackers for a snack. They don't tempt me unless I have frosting in the freezer to smear on grahm crackers, but those would fall in the Bill Clinton clause. If I want a cream based food, I cook up a package of frozen cauliflower, then puree it and use as the cream base. It's amazing how good you can make it taste, I like a dash of nutmeg in the pureed cauliflower for Swedish meatballs.
    Quote:

Bobbi, I want to come and live with you and become 500# within a month! Your food descriptions make me drool... You must have a very happy DH!!
  • Good morning!! Just a quick post while I finish off my morning tea...it's a beautiful day and I'm going to go do my sales shopping in a little bit. Not sure whether dh is going with me. He usually doesn't but these days he's kinda bored at home as he typically is much more of a gad-about than me.

Our oldest gs is coming this week! We seldom see him but he is now driving so decided to drive down to see us (and his other grandparents) before he goes off to college. He is the nicest young man and we are so happy to have him! He plans on staying one night at least, and we're hoping for more. It's the first time ever we had him all to ourselves.

Jess - Your tree sounds nice (so do the young men! ). We are thinking of getting another flowering tree of some kind to replace the evergreen we had removed. Probably wait until next spring though.

Bobbi - Regarding sunflower seeds...that 1/4 cup is hulled...without the seeds, I think. They do contain a lot of fat although it is healthy fat. I used to eat way too many of them, but rarely eat them these days. Now and then when they show up on my grocery game list I will buy a package and divide them by servings and so far I have been disciplined with them. Not sure I would be if they were around all the time though as I do love them. Kinda nasty eating them but I do it when I'm alone or with someone else who is eating them too. I used to eat them in front of the kids and they all loved them except one and that kid can't stand the smell of them to this day! LOL Buy you should see what HE eats! Very unhealty!

Lynn - You and Bobbi are still my heros...so disciplined! Glad you are enjoying the exercise. I miss getting out and walking. I'm not very comfortable walking outside by myself. Once Joe is done with his PT though I think we will get back to the gym where we walk as well as doing other things.

Gotta go get ready to go shopping...enjoy your day!!
  • Happy Labor Day Ladies,

What a beautiful day. Saturday afternoon went to Santa Cruz, CA (200 miles from where I live) to spend night with my oldest daughter, Amber. We had a great evening and had some nice heart-to-heart talks. She takes after her birth dad (he was first husband, and has passed away) and is 5'11" and weights 140 pounds. She can eat and eat and not gain a pound. She is a vegitarian and is a runner. She made a beautiful low-cal squash parmesan dinner with a beautful salad. We sat outside and just enjoyed each others company. Husband stayed home so that I could have fun with my girl. Anyway, Sunday morning I drove home with my 3-year old grandson, Benicio (also a vegitarian) and he will be staying the week with us. He is a kick and was so excited to see me. When we got back to my house yesterday he ran in and almost knocked grandpa down. He loves his grandpa.

Today my husband watched Benicio while I worked out. We then walked to our local park and played in the water. Right now he is taking a nap and then we will be going to the swimming pool.

We cleaned out one of our rasied garden beds Saturday morning and I made a treasure chest and put some glass rocks and beads in it. We also sprinkled some glass rocks in the dirt. Grandson thought he found some lost treasure. How wonderful to be innocent like that. Next weekend we will start our winter garden, purple potatoes, arugula (sp), garlic and broccoli. This will be the first time we attempt a year round garden.

Tonight I plan on making some chili rellanos and black beans and rice. These will all be low cal versions.

Hope you all have a wonderful week.
  • Helpful Hints:
    Cure Hiccups with a Q-Tip

Lisa Katayama

Japan is well-known for its Urawaza -- clever, do-it-yourself tricks for using household products to solve common problems. Here are strategies that have worked for others -- and may just work for you...

HEALTH REMEDIES

Cure the hiccups with a Q-tip. Briefly touch one end of a Q-tip to the small piece of flesh that dangles in the back of your throat (uvula).

Why it works: This triggers your gag reflex, which interrupts the spasms of your diaphragm. No hiccup cure works 100% of the time, but this one is more effective than many others.

Clear a stuffy nose with scallions. People with stuffy noses shouldn’t take over-the-counter nasal decongestants too often -- overuse can cause increased congestion. Scallions can serve as a substitute. Cut the top fronds off two scallions, then very gently put the thick white root part into each nostril. (Warning: Do not shove it high up your nose.) Your nose should start to clear in as little as one minute.

Why it works: Like other members of the onion family, scallions contain chemical compounds that make the eyes water and the nose run.

QUICK FIXES

Fix a scratched CD with toothpaste. Place a small dab of nonabrasive white toothpaste on a cotton ball, and gently apply it over the CD’s scratch, starting the cotton ball at the middle of the CD and moving it outward. Use a small amount of water and a second, clean cotton ball to remove any excess toothpaste. Let the CD air-dry.

Why it works: The mild abrasives in toothpaste gently smooth out the sharp edges of the scratch. It’s those sharp edges that diffract the CD player’s laser beam, causing it to skip. This works only on shallow scratches -- deep scratches might be beyond repair.

Make old, formerly water-resistant cloth jackets water-resistant again with a hair dryer. Set a hair dryer to high, then slowly move it around the outer surface of the jacket.

Why it works: Many, though not all, waterproof cloth garments are treated with something called a "durable water-repellent coating." Over time, the coating starts to deteriorate, decreasing its effectiveness. Heat can reactivate the water-repelling properties.

CLEANING TRICKS

Clean pen marks off your hands with a tea bag. Brew a cup of green or black tea, then rub the used tea bag over the pen marks on your skin.

Why it works: Catechin, a chemical compound found in these teas, combines with the pigments and oils in the pen ink, lifting the ink from the skin. The fabric of the tea bag acts as a mild scrubber.

Remove stickers or tape from mirrors or windows with mayonnaise. Stickers and tape often leave adhesive residue behind when they are peeled from mirrors or windows. Scraping the residue away can take a lot of effort. Instead, place a dab of mayonnaise on a paper towel, and apply this to the adhesive. After a minute or two, the adhesive residue should give way without much scrubbing or scraping -- sometimes it simply wipes away with a paper towel.

Why it works: The vegetable oil in mayonnaise dissolves most common adhesives. In fact, you can use vegetable oil to remove adhesive residue, but the oil’s more liquid consistency means it won’t stay in place over the adhesive as well.

Pick up broken glass with bread. Hundreds of tiny shards often are spread across the floor when glass breaks. Sweeping never removes them all. Next time glass breaks in your home, sweep away the larger pieces, then press a few slices of bread onto the broken-glass area.

Why it works: Even very small shards will lodge in the bread.

Warning: Dispose of these slices of bread immediately so that people and pets don’t mistake them for food.

Clean a toilet bowl with mouthwash. Pour about one cup of mouthwash in the toilet bowl. After 15 to 20 minutes, a quick swipe with a toilet brush should be all it takes to make the bowl’s surface sparkle.

Why it works: The disinfectants in mouthwash are designed to make teeth shine and kill germs, but they are equally effective at polishing toilet surfaces and killing toilet germs.

Remove burn marks from a pan with eggshells. Crush an eggshell, then rub the shell fragments against the burned areas with your fingers. Do not use on nonstick surfaces, because it could scratch.

Why it works: The calcium carbonate in eggshells is an abrasive that does a nice job of scrubbing away burns. The small amount of egg white still present on the shell fragments absorbs the loose particles for a clean, shiny finish.

HELP FOR PLANTS

Save a diseased plant with garlic. Grate a single clove of garlic into two cups of water, then pour this mixture around the base of the plant. This works particularly well for the fungus that often kills basil.

Why it works: Garlic contains a compound called phytoncide that kills many common plant root fungi and inhibits certain other plant diseases.

Extend the life of cut flowers with bleach. Add a few drops of bleach to the water in the vase.

Why it works: The disinfecting properties of bleach inhibit the bacterial and mildew growth that often robs cut flowers of their beauty.

Alternative: Drop a penny minted prior to 1982 into the vase water. The copper kills bacteria. (Pennies minted after mid-1982 are mostly zinc and won’t help your flowers.)
  • Yikes! No problems with hurricane Earl, but unexpected/unexplained problems with our cable service, that provides our internet, telephone and TV. All we've had since last Thursday night is the TV, which we maybe watch once or twice a month (if that!). We both have cell phones, so the loss of the telephone wasn't soooo bad, but the internet being down has been really inconvenient. I never realized how much we depend on it - for everything from the news & weather (how to dress each morning) to communicating with folks. They had technicians out on Saturday who said they need to completely rewire the house, but they didn't have time to do it then, so they're due today. I think this is the first time I've actually looked forward to getting back to work after a long weekend, just so I could find out what's going on with all my friends.
    After a rather wet night Friday, the sun came out Saturday, and stayed out all weekend - breezy, warm (but not hot) and NO humidity! Really beautiful. DH & I babysat the twins all day Saturday while my daughter & SIL took our granddaughter to a birthday party at Six Flags. They left at 8:30 in the AM and got back at 8:30 at night. Long day, but we had the boys outside in the morning playing in their sandbox and on their slide and swings and such, and they they were tired out enough to take a two hour nap at 11:30, which gave us the opportunity to recharge our own batteries a bit. Then more outdoor play in the afternoon following lunch, indoor play, baths, supper and bed at 7:30. By the time their parents and sister came home, we were pretty worn out, but had SUCH a good day with the boys! On Sunday, we grocery shopped first thing in the morning, and then spent the rest of the day lazing about down at the lake. We usually do the walking trail when we're there, but after cavorting about with the twins all day Saturday, we didn't really feel the need for additional exercise. (The truth is, we were both dosed up with Ibuprophen for all the aches and pains we acquired bending and stretching and squatting and leaping and what-have-you just trying to keep up with the grandbabies). Monday, there was a cook-out at my daughter's (twin's momma) to celebrate DH's birthday & our sil's (twin's dad) as well. It was really great - shish-kebab made with marinated steak, some with shrimp, some with chicken, plus hot dogs (what's a cook-out without a hot dog, right?), a huge tossed salad, fresh sweet corn, and lots of other yummy stuff including home made apple pie (DH's favorite dessert), cheese cake (sil's favorite dessert) and birthday cake, of course. Yours truly did just fine with the eating - had 5 shrimp, some salad, part of an ear of corn, and a teeny, tiny taste of cheese cake. I felt pretty good about my self-discipline, and at the same time, had more than enough to eat.
    Well, I will have to get back later for some personals - try to get caught up after my long hiatus with no computer access. I don't suppose there's been any word on Isabella?
    BBL

Z
  • Hello,

Checking in late today. Today is the day for me to grade my students' papers - just finished.

This morning was the last morning of 25 minutes fast walking - on Thursday, I up that to 35 minutes. I decided to do my eliptical on days when I am not doing my fast walking - trying to protect my knee.

Lynn
  • Morning everyone..hope you all had a nice weekend..ours was really quiet..dh is getting ready to go to the cabin for 10 days of moose hunting..my sil and grson will be joining him..so ive got him doing honey doo's for me befor he goes..hes grumbling but doing it..i just submitted a photo of our dog daisy in the local paper where they run an article weekly about pets.. maybe she will become famous lol..its raining again but suppose to clear up by the weekend..imagine how buried in snow we would be if it was winter ill take the rain instead..hoping you all have agreat day rosey

this is the picture i submitted she was chasing bubbles

• Hey girls.......too busy to gab today but wanted to pass this
    information on:

This important info!

[FONT='times new roman','new york',times,serif][FONT='times new roman','new york',times,serif][FONT='times new roman','new york',times,serif][FONT='times new roman','new york',times,serif] For those of you that may have kids around, a warning for all. Apparently this is now happening in BC, and I am sure it will spread so please warn the Grandkids.
    Well, this one is real - I checked it via the Snopes link enclosed.
    http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/bottlebomb.asp

In case you don't have time to read it / look at this right now:

Kids are putting Drano, tin foil, and a little water in soda
    bottles and capping it up - leaving it on lawns. When you go to pick up
    the trash, and the bottle is shaken just a little - in about 30 seconds
    or less it builds up a gas and explodes with enough force to remove some
    of your extremities. The liquid that comes out is boiling hot as well.

Don't pick up any plastic bottles that may be lying in your yards or in the gutter, etc.
    Pay attention to this.

1. a plastic bottle with a cap.
    2. a little Drano.
    3. a little water.
    4. a small piece of foil.
    5. Disturb it by moving it; and BOOM!!

No fingers left and other serious effects to your face, eyes, etc.

People are finding these bombs in mailboxes and in their yards,
    just waiting for you to pick it up intending to put it in the trash.
    But, you'll never make it!!! It takes about 30 seconds to blow after
    you move the thing.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
  • Lynn...oh my gosh! I just noticed you've stayed under 1200 calories for 6 days in a row on Jane's challenge!
    You'll knock off a few pounds quickly if you keep that up, you go girlfriend!
  • Good Hola, All....
    I saw a news story on that Drano thing, Bobbi, and it has seriously injured some people! Whatever is WRONG with people??????????? Good grief!

Nothing much going on here. I'm glued to the tv, watching that fire in Boulder, north and west of Denver. I was gagging last night from the smell of smoke and didn't know what was going on until I watched the news. How awful for those poor people!! Many homes have been destroyed. WE NEED SOME OF THE RAIN!

KarenFLA, are you getting anything from this storm? I tell you, Mama Nature is NOT happy!

Everyone, be safe! Later.............

• Good Day Ladies,

I finally am able to add attachments and a signature to my page.

I promise I will not send too many photos, but I wanted to introduce myself to you properly.

I included a photo of my husband and I with all of my grandkids taken in March 2010 (I was a lot heavier). I also attached a photo taken July 31st (I was already down 30 pounds). One more photo is the reason I am losing weight, my darling, precious grandchildren.

And by the way, my "real name" is Sherrill.

Have a wonderful day.....

• Hey everyone..Bobbie thankyou for that info i have never heard of this..ill pass it along..jess sry for the fires sad really isn't we have lots of wild fires around here,but no thunder storms or lightening..we get bizzards and wind storms tho..toones thanks for the pictures of you and your beautiful grkids and by the way you look awsome with your wt loss..have agood night everyone..suppers in the crock pot and i want to watch am got talent..have you seen that 10 yr old girl sing opera yet shes amazing ttfn rosey