What are you reading?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Bootsie:

I've read Thin Within...ok, not ALL of it, LOL! But it is quite a bit like Weigh Down. I liked it better though. I felt WD became a bit rigid & condemning. Didn't get that with Thin Within.
  • BTW, I also have the book called -- "When Bad Things Happen To Good People" by Harold S. Kushner; and would recommend that everyone read it at least once in their lifetime ...

JENNY ~ lots of people (adults) read those books (Harry Potter); and we even have a couple of the movies -- my DH likes them too!
  • Jenny I tried to get on Thin Withins community twice and they would not even accept me, I just love their community and the program but I felt if they could not accept me then I was not buying the book. I guess if I bought the book first then tried to get on there maybe then they would accepted me. I like not being the part not condemning , I really don't think that is right and I understand some parts of WD seem like that. I sure wish they would let me join but if God wanted me there he would of made it possible.

I don't agree with everything about weigh down just like me there is good points and some I don't think are so good, but I find that with all diets. My main issue is to be right with God, study his word and spread his word and his unfailing love and be the person he wants me to be. I still wish I could join in Thin Within!
  • BOOTSIE ~ you can read a substantial preview of the THIN WITHIN book at this link ...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=TPmu...page&q&f=false

I found it very enjoyable myself; and I think you will too. I was amazed how much of this the LORD had already shown me over the last while in my studies in HIS Word, GOD is truly awesome -- JESUS said that if we seek, we shall find ...
  • Rosebud that book is awesome! I love it ! I think maybe I will go by my book store and see if they have it ,if not they will order it for me.
  • Rosebud, have you read any on Awaken the Giant within yet? Look at the Alpo diet on page 131.
  • THAT'S FUNNY! Very similar to your LIVER DIET! You know, when I first read your post, I thought it said, "The Apollo Diet" and then I read about the can of dog food and had a good laugh. In my book, it is on page 26 -- so I had to search a bit ... I haven't started reading that book yet, becuz I already have a few on the go, but will start it soon.
  • I just checked out 'the yada yada prayer group' by Neta Jackson, today from the library. Anyone read it? Any good?
  • Haven't read that one, but I know I've picked it up at the bookstore to look at. Let me know how it is.
  • I'm reading How People Change by Timothy S. Lane and Paul David Tripp. Also Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain.
  • Quote: Haven't read that one, but I know I've picked it up at the bookstore to look at. Let me know how it is.
    will do!
  • I have not read that but it has a good title, How People Change. i have seen so many people change including myself so I know it can be done.
  • I am still reading the third story in the CHRISTMAS BOX TRILOGY ~ the last one is called THE LETTER, and I am almost finished it. It is my least favorite of the three and I feel the author made a huge error in the book: about half-way through, the main male character (husband, David Parkin) gets involved in a silly, teenish kind of chase relationship (yes;no;yes;no;yes;no) with a 20 year old girl (he is in his 40's at this time), which ruined the story for me.

He does walk away from her eventually, but the whole thing was so distracting and contradictory to the earlier descriptions of his character and behavior (esp by his wife & the author) that it didn't fit right in this story, so it was annoying as heck; and I couldn't wait to get past it.

BUT, there was a tiny gem of story weaved throughout about a sweet & kind elderly, black American (and yes, it matters to this story) soldier and his relationship to a white officer's daughter. This story should have been expounded upon much more as it was so touching and moving; and soul-stirring really. It would have made a grand book on its own.

I am almost finished it, but wonder where the story is going at this point. The author said it was a special love story; but not the one he meant. It was a very disappointing one, as I found myself feeling very sorry for the main female character who loved her husband much more than he deserved. It seemed that she felt gracious to him for saving her from a bad situation, rather than it being an equalitarian and pure kind of love like the soldier and his wife had ... they had the special love story (and for this reason, I am glad I read it)!!!

You see, he was black soldier in a time (during the depression and onwards) when they were treated very badly in the US. She was a white daughter of a high-ranking officer in the army, who was born with a disfiguring pigment scar over 2/3 rds of her face. Although, she was very pretty, that scar prevented her from being marriage material -- no white fellas could see her true beauty beneath that scar, except for one young, handsome black soldier. They met and secretly fell in love; then got married in a private ceremony and had a child, but they had to keep their relationship secret and distant for the safety of them all. Their story isn't shared in full, until after the man is dying ... when he finally meets his daughter for the first time.

This story touched me on many levels; I kind of thought about how this black man was able to see past her physical flaw and love her because he already knew what it was like to be persecuted because of the color of his skin (the same physical flaw -- for what he looked like).

I perceived another interesting similarity; how it feels to be overweight and feel that one is not accepted or loved because some people cannot see a person's true beauty ... that is, the beauty of their real self -- the beauty of their soul!

Sometimes, it seems that only GOD is able to do that ...
  • Rosebud so excited ! Last night went on Anthony Robbins Community and asked if any one was reading Awaken the Giant Within and if they would like to read a chapter and we all discuss it? This morning I went on there and found someone who does!
  • BOOTSIE ~ oh, glad you found someone to read it with; will check that site out. I can start reading mine now too, as I just finished my big novel called -- "YEARS" by LaVyrle Spencer.

It was a thick novel, circa early 1900's, about Norwegian farmers who had immigrated to North Dakota -- meeting up with a city girl school teacher. My SM lent it to me; she was a teacher too, so she loves any books about teachers. It was a good story and would make a nice family movie -- well, if you leave a few parts out, that is ...