Any paleo/low carb featherweights out there? OR other low carb inspirations?

• Hi, I'm writing mainly to keep myself accountable and hopefully get some encouragement.

I have been struggling on and off for a couple years to shake off some weight I gained in the past years. I would attribute the gain to stress and some to general changes in aging. Now I'm trying to figure out how to be aware of emotional eating and eat right and maintain my weight for an early 40's metabolism. I've made a lot of changes and eat very healthfully now. A few years ago I cut out all processed grain products and only had small rice here and there. This has really made me feel better.

Last 2 summers I've lost weight from counting calories with small slow results.

I am now starting a new tactic--to try a strict modified Atkins-style induction trial after doing a lot of research on low carb/paleo/insulin blocking ideas--WITH an exercise regimen of weight lifting and sprints. The science makes sense to me.

I'm trying to eat about 50 carbs a day (as listed--I'm confused about the whole "net carbs").

Yesterday I ate almost 2000 calories in fat and protein because I was so hungry--craving CARBS I believe--but I succumbed to hunger cravings by just eating more protein and fat. I actually don't like fat that much (save for nuts=too hi carb for right now) so I find it a little challenging. I felt like I'd gain weight eating 2000 calories a day. But today I'm less hungry. Perhaps a sign of Ketosis?

I feel like I've tried everything and would like to shake off these last pounds and THEN maintain my weight with a paleo style diet that is even lower in carbs than I've done the past couple of years.
    --I figure I used to eat between 150-200 carbs a day.
    - I want to try and lose on 50 a day
    -and then maintain under 100 carbs a day.

I'm in my early 40's and from what I read it seems low carbs works best for women my age.

I'm inspired by the success stories here--and am particularly curious about the results from other featherweights.

Do folks have tips for keeping on the super low carb track?

What do folks think are the fastest ways to lose if you're close to your target weight and middle aged?

I just need to get back in the swing and try something new.

Thanks for reading!
  • Quote: I'm confused about the whole "net carbs".

Net carbs is very easy. Fiber (cellulose, primarily) is a carbohydrate that humans cannot digest at all. We can't break it down, so we can't use any of the calories in it, the fiber passed through our systems intact. No digestion, means no calories absorbed.

We would starve to death on foods that are mostly cellulose, such as hay or wood. Those calories aren't available to mus, but they are available to critters that can digest them.

So you can subtract the fiber carbohydrates from the total carbohydrates (the calories may or may not have already been accounted for. I've heard, but haven't verified that some nutrition labels seem to make the calorie adjustment and some do not).
  • I found that once I was eating low carb, it was very easy to keep my food plan. I eat Lacto-Paleo. Here are the guidelines I use, except that I weigh, measure, count and keep track:

http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/

I eat VLC, less than 30 carbs each day, usually less than 20. I keep my protein constant and control my weight by controlling my fat intake.

I don't use vegetable oils, only animal fats. I eat high fat dairy, a few nuts and some almond butter. I don't eat high sugar fruit, only lemons, olives, cucumbers, tomatoes, and a few berries in very small quantities.

My fat intake is 1.5-2 grams per gram of protein. Lots of women on the low carb forums use this ratio.

Peter Dobromylskyj's blog, Hyperlipid might also be of interest to you.

Eating clean, nutrient-dense food, going to sleep early, drinking my gallon-plus of water each day, and my exercise/movement routine work well for me.

I wish you much enjoyment discovering what is optimal for you.
  • I've been contemplating doing BFC with a Primal twist by eliminating grains. In the process I've been reading some of Mark Sisson's info. One of the things that caught my eye, was his fat melting zone between 50 -100 carbs.

Back when my sister and I did Atkins, we both had to keep our carbs to around 26 to lose anything. However, one of the women my sister worked with was doing "Atkins" and ate 65 grams of carbs each day but was losing weight like crazy. Her cheats were always veggies and fruits. We always wondered how she did it. Looking at Mark's chart, I think she was actually doing "Primal".

After finding Mark's chart yesterday, I called my sister to say, " I think I might have figured out how she did it."
  • Quote: I've been contemplating doing BFC with a Primal twist by eliminating grains. In the process I've been reading some of Mark Sisson's info. One of the things that caught my eye, was his fat melting zone between 50 -100 carbs.

Back when my sister and I did Atkins, we both had to keep our carbs to around 26 to lose anything. However, one of the women my sister worked with was doing "Atkins" and ate 65 grams of carbs each day but was losing weight like crazy. Her cheats were always veggies and fruits. We always wondered how she did it. Looking at Mark's chart, I think she was actually doing "Primal".

After finding Mark's chart yesterday, I called my sister to say, " I think I might have figured out how she did it."
    Fat melting zone is right. I have been no grains for about a week or so and even though the scale says 172, I feel 5 lbs lighter and my clothes are a lot looser.
    It woks and I have more energy too. I still do eat raw sunflower seeds but no peanuts or other nuts. And no sugar either!
  • Hi, chewy,

I would much rather be down size-wise than a number on a scale. Glad to hear it's working for you.
  • Amazon has excerpts from Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution" which is coming out this week. There are no reviews yet, since it hasn't been officially released. However, the parts I read were very interesting.

I'm tempted to order it at the pre-release price.
  • My basic foods I am eating:

Coffee with Truvia and half & half OR Unsweetened Almond Breeze (Vanilla)

Eggs and no nitrate bacon OR
    smoked salmon and feta spread and cream cheese with chopped red onion on a cauliflower crust pita

raw sunflower seeds

For lunch I have the same cauliflower crust pizza with cheese a little sauce and lots of veggies
    More raw seeds

I usually am not hungry for dinner

I have a fairly active job, I must climb around 160-180 stairs a day, and I do a lot of walking too.
  • My hubby and I began the Paleo diet on the first of september. We are 23/25(age wise) I have lost 17 pounds since then with a 3-5 mile walk daily. We keep under 1200 calories and usually only have 200-500 after we deduct our calories burned from exercising. I love the paleo diet. We have found so many great recipes. Using almond meal to make things such as pancakes. I made CHOCOLATE muffins the other day. 150 calories a piece. (strict paleo way )
  • You can eat a lot more carbs on the second phase of Atkins. He said you find your number, but 60 was the number that works for many people. I've just started diet again, and I can definally lose with 60, I think you can too.