Putting my husband on IP tomorrow!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks, Dave! Great advice. I'll add another packet or a bit more protein for him. He loves his pure protein bars and we are trying to cut down on the cost, which is why I don't give him IP bars. I think I can get the omelet and jelly cheaper elsewhere though. I'll give it a try.
  • Quote: Thanks, Dave! Great advice. I'll add another packet or a bit more protein for him. He loves his pure protein bars and we are trying to cut down on the cost, which is why I don't give him IP bars. I think I can get the omelet and jelly cheaper elsewhere though. I'll give it a try.
    I've tried several alternative protein bars, but I come back to the IP bars because 1) they taste better and 2) they're lower in carbs and sugars.

The Pure Protein bars are decent, and they're really quite inexpensive. I don't eat them very often, maybe once a week. I just bought a 6-pack at Wal-Mart for $4 (W-M lowered the price to $5, and I have a $1 off coupon). BUT...

If your husband is up to 5 packets a day plus his meat/fish with dinner, I would be very careful about the amount of carbs he's consuming because every packet you add to intake adds additional carbs. That's why I suggested going with the lowest carb packets possible. The protein, not the carbs, will kill the hunger. The IP raspberry gelatin has 2g of carbs and 20g of protein, with 100 cals. By contrast a typical Pure Protein bar has 17-20g of carbs, 18-20g of protein, and 180-210 cals.

I usually make 4 servings of gelatin at once. I buy containers from the deli at my local grocery for about 10 cents/ea. I think they hold 8 oz, which is a great size for the gelatin. I always have one in the fridge when I need it.
  • Thanks, Dave. He's actually only having 3 packets a day, with maybe some tuna or a hard-boiled egg when he gets hungry. I've ordered some of the RTDs from New Lifestyle, and they have 15 g protein and 4 g. carbs, so I'll have him grab one of those if he gets hungry. He doesn't like the jello, but I love it and have it almost every night.
  • Dave, I made him an omelet with a couple of sauteed mushrooms as a snack this afternoon and now he doesn't want dinner, says he's too full!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. He loved the omelet though, I think that's going to be a staple for him.
  • Quote: s.

I usually make 4 servings of gelatin at once. I buy containers from the deli at my local grocery for about 10 cents/ea. I think they hold 8 oz, which is a great size for the gelatin. I always have one in the fridge when I need it.
    I really like this idea... I always do things each day so I don't eat the jello much because I haven't thought that far ahead.
  • Quote: He's been so impressed with how the diet's worked for me (14 pounds lost in 4 weeks so far), he wants to try it out himself. Now, this is a middle-aged man who's always been BELOW the bell curve on the weights chart--6'2" and 155 pounds in his prime, a little shorter now, 30 pounds heavier and MUCH thicker around the waist. That article about the danger of middle fat in middle age was a wake-up call for him. So as of tomorrow it's IP for the both of us.

We can't afford to both be on IP, so I was thrilled to find the Proti-thin foods on Nashua Nutrition (big thanks again to whoever linked to that) and I've made my order this morning. I also have extra vitamins, etc. from Puritan Pride, so we're okay there.

The one thing I'd like to get hold of is that chart that tells you where to take measurements. I know I've seen it somewhere, but I can't seem to dig it up. Any leads?

Wish us luck. He teaches, and is a little anxious about having headaches in class, or having to run to the rest room when he is using all his time between classes to run back and forth between buildings. But I know the feeling of finally getting rid of that blubber is going to make everything else seem inconsequential.

It's my birthday today (DON'T ASK!) and I had lobster for dinner and two servings of vegetable medley instead of the corn, and a huge salad plate at Charlie Brown's and NO WINE. Never in a million years thought I could do that, but it was fine.

Love love love this diet, I can't begin to tell you how much. Wish us luck!
    Hi there, how has your husband done on the Proti-thin vs. the IP? i've been looking at that product but wondering if it is as good quality.
  • I ended up sending most of the Proti-thin back. I had ordered what I thought were RTD drinks, but they were a powder mix and worse than that contained aspartame (I should have read the ingredients more carefully--my fault). So I sent those back. I kept the chocolate drink (powder), but it wasn't as good as the IP version. I ordered some RTD drinks from New Lifestyle, and hubby has been having one of those every morning at breakfast, roasted soy nuts that we buy at the local Whole Foods with his salad at lunch, and a Pure Protein bar for his snack at night. He has LEAPFROGGED over me in weight loss! GRR And will be starting Phase II in a week or two, so I have to bone up on that as I am not near that point yet.